Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I still learn Tiny or wait?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by frankfringe, Apr 24, 2019.

1. frankfringe

frankfringe

Hi,

I am currently writing my Code in the C# ECS. Since I want to target 2D and Web I am enormously excited about Tiny.

I am asking myself if I should still learn Tiny in its current stage or will it reach C# very soon? Does it even make sense to learn about the current 3D ECS Physics stuff or should I maybe also just wait for Tiny?

Many thanks

2. Rupture13

Rupture13

C# should drop very soon, but if you already know regular Unity ECS, it shouldn't take long to learn Tiny and it won't make you dumber.

You said something about 3D, but Tiny will only be 2D for the time being. If you want to make 3D projects, Tiny might not be what you're searching for at this time.

raymondyunity and frankfringe like this.
  3. frankfringe

frankfringe

No, I am actually doing 2D. I am just asking myself if I should use the 3D Unity Physics for ECS to make my 2D game (as it always was for Unity) or if it is worth to just wait for Tiny 2D Physics, as I hope they will be less overhead and not as complicated to setup.

I don't fully understand: Will Tiny be anything more than just a bunch of new convenient systems and components for the ECS?

foxnne likes this.
  4. Zionisias

Zionisias

Well, Tiny is mainly aimed for making games for web/mobile. For performance it only makes sense for Tiny to make use of ECS, as it is way more performant than regular Unity.

As far as I know Tiny will not be just a package containing a few usefull ECS systems and components, but will focus in its entirety on 2D web/mobile games.

NotaNaN likes this.
  5. sniffle63

sniffle63

NotaNaN likes this.
  6. frankfringe

frankfringe

Do I understand you right that Tiny is incompatible with some of the other Unity functionality? I thought with Tiny we would finally get 2D Physics

foxnne likes this.
  7. Rupture13

Rupture13

Tiny is not something you integrate/add with a "regular" Unity project. It's a thing entirely of its own. The functionality that Tiny has is only for use within Tiny context, so you can't copy/paste for example the Physics2D of Tiny to regular Unity.

Although Tiny tries to cover much of the same functionality of regular Unity 2D (and does a fairly good job at that), this is only because the Tiny devs build that again specifically for Tiny.

So to bluntly answer your last question: Tiny is incompatible with "regular" Unity. Although Tiny does have 2D ECS Physics, you cannot use these physics in "regular" Unity.

bobbaluba and sniffle63 like this.