Search Unity

Should I publish a more advanced version of my SQL Library onto the Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Elenesski, Feb 26, 2015.

?

Would you be interested in SQLINQ when it came available?

1. I would wait and see if "SQLINQ" was good enough.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I would NOT buy "SQLINQ Lite" because $40 is too much.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would buy "SQLINQ Lite" for $40.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would buy "SQLINQ Pro" for $150; because I already own or will acquire Sparx EA myself.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not Interested. I'm happy with existing SQL libraries for Unity3D.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Elenesski

Elenesski

BACKGROUND

As part of the game I'm working on, I need to read/write out of a SQLite database. The existing SQLite database adapters that I've seen on the Asset Store are quite limited, having to rely on writing SQL statements to use them. I didn't see any that had a basic LINQ interface and most appear to only provide data interfacing. I didn't see any kind of ORM implementations or tools that implemented data patterns like Fowler's Identity Map, Single Table Inheritance or GOF Factory Methods.

So I wrote my own library to do all these things called SQLINQ. Actually SQLINQ is a port from C# development I was doing on another platform; so while I think it's stable, I'll use my game development to flush out bugs I might have introduced during the Unity3D implementation.

Once I have flushed out the bugs in the main library, I'll put it (including the code) into the Asset Store, as "SQLINQ Lite". I'm guessing the price would be $40, but I haven't decided.

(I wrote docs for it here, if you are curious what the library does ... my question isn't related to the functionality the library provides ... http://games.elenesski.info/sqlinq.html)

THE QUESTION

As part of my game development, I am also writing a code generator, that can take a class model and generate C# code that works with the SQLINQ library. I need the generator, because as I iterate through the development, I'll want to change how the data is represented and I don't want to have to constantly update the underlying code for the model, which could result in 1000s of lines with documentation.

I could put this code generator into the asset store too, as "SQLINQ Pro" (for $150), but any user also would also need the UML Model Tool (Enterprise Architect) which has a $130 entry fee. Total Cost $280.

The question is, should I go through the effort of putting the more advanced version on the asset store? The basic SQLINQ library itself would provide significant productivity improvements for any developer saving data in SQLite; since almost no custom SQL is required to read/write data. But if there are a lot of Indie developers, looking for inexpensive tools, I imagine that my Pro prices would be out of reach for Indie developers. So the question is, do you think there even be an appetite for the more expensive version from non-indie developers?

Thanks,
    El