Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

should I go with 1070 or 1080 Ti

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxnb, Jun 14, 2018.

1. neginfinity

neginfinity

Well, the thing is ... having to deal with this (i.e. selling used parts) is annoying, and the price is still outside of my comfort range.

Speaking of cars:
    apparently it is possible to get a 12..13 years old car for $3200, and looks like it won't be a complete rust bucket.
    I also saw an $1200 30 years old rust bucket mini-truck, though this thing is only worth buying if you're living in a country village.

And more fun stuff:
    Last time I checked one of the computer retailers their home page greeted me with an offer to buy a chainsaw. I mean, it is spring so everybody has to buy a chainsaw. Made me wonder if they wanted me to go Doom Marine on something.

Well, the chainsaws start at $60. So 3060 Ti is 20 chainsaws. Which doesn't quite compute to me.

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Which is still firmly on the expensive side for the mid-tier card.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Absolutely, but this is the new norm for the foreseeable future. I fully expect the next generation of cards to be out before we see anything approaching MSRPs again. We're not even at the worst of it yet. Card vendors have stated that their shipment of chips from AMD/NVIDIA have been decreasing.

Last I checked the current situation is due to some combination of (a) the pandemic, (b) scalpers, (c) miners, (d) an actual shortage of silicon wafers, and (e) Taiwan in a massive drought causing TSMC and Micron to lose production of chips as their water supply is being reduced.

TSMC has stated that they will be increasing capacity but that it will be a process that won't be finished till 2023.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/gpu-shortage-q3-2020-double-triple-price/
    https://siliconangle.com/2021/04/01...p-manufacturing-and-development-through-2023/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yeah the issue with chips for the automotive sector was created by the car manufacturers. They expected reduced demand, which happened initially, but it turns out when a virus is going around people who would otherwise take a train or bus suddenly feel like driving themselves to work. So demand spiked. Problem was they use TSMC and the other wafer manufacturers like anyone else, and they cancelled orders to be inline with demand expectations. Other customers bought that capacity, and when the car manufacturers came back with new orders they were at the back of the line.

Texas power failures was a problem for Samsung's Texas plant, but it memory serves it doesn't have a role in GPU production. I think it makes mobile device chips or something.

But demand for GPU's has spiked for a lot of reasons all coming together. NVidia's 20 series wasn't much better than their 10 series, so many gamers waited an additional generation. AMD didn't provide any high end competition to compete with the 20 series. Suddenly with the release of NVidia's 30 series and AMD's 6000 series, we have some significant gains at the high end. We've also got good mid range cards with the performance of the 10 and 20 series high end cards. So this is the point many RX 400 and 500 owners, NVidia 900 and 10 series users, are looking to upgrade.

At the same time we've got many people working from home, and either upgrading or building new computers. If you need a new computer for work, many people would like to make it dual use as a gaming computer. So even more demand for GPU's. Then we've got the crypto spike making GPU mining highly profitable again, so even more demand. Then we've got AMD directing most of their 7nm orders from TSMC towards their console contracts, restricting supply for their GPU and CPU products. This creates a "perfect storm" of extremely high demand and restricted supply, without many options for AMD or NVidia to ramp up production to meet the demand.

Ryiah and EternalAmbiguity like this.
  6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I honestly thought about writing my own software rasteriser the other day... you may have just given me an idea :D

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

First ever serious programming project I ever done was a software rasterizer written in MS-DOS 320x200x256 mode. Spinning textured cube and transparency.

One day I'm planning to write something similar again.

FuzzyQuills and AlanMattano like this.
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm toying with a software renderer right now, but it's more a toy than anything. Simple models and textures, no transparency, just dithering. I'll probably stick a game in there but I'd have to move it over to C/C++ if I want to deploy it to XP since Rust is losing official support for it.

9. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

There are chances there will be no turn back to normal?

Open GL 1.0 was so fast!
    What about instead of rasterizing, making silicons at home ...:confused:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Processors with integrated graphics continue to be available from Intel.

AlanMattano likes this.
  11. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Eventually, of course. But a while.

Honestly you can probably get by with less than you'd prefer.

12. MDADigital

MDADigital

PLM GPU does not agree with you :D

13. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

My game is CPU hungry, so it's a bit different...I could throw as many cores at it as I had available.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  14. MDADigital

MDADigital

I wish my game was CPU bound :D We have optimized set pass calls etc. So for us its GPU only. Fill rate is a bitch in VR

AlanMattano and EternalAmbiguity like this.
unityunity