Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

should I go with 1070 or 1080 Ti

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxnb, Jun 14, 2018.

1. maxnb

maxnb

I'm buying a new computer.

As it is right now I am not interested in making games, but in making awesome hi-end realtime demos with unity3d.

I am deciding between this computer here

Corsair One Elite / i7-8700K / 32GB / 2TB+ 480GB SSD M.2 / GTX 1080 Ti

and this computer here

Lenovo Y910-17ISK / i7 6:e gen. 6820HK / 32GB / 1070 / 512 GB SSD & 1000 GB

First one is desktop so it is bit more expensive and second one is laptop and bit cheaper.

If I care about hi-end graphics and want to create highly realistic scenes using latest unity3d technologies, which of above two machines should I invest in. Which one would you invest in and why?

I need at least 32 GB ram, I do not care so much about storage, but
    GPU / RAM / CPU
    My favorite right now is Corsair One Elite because of 1080 Ti, small size and weight is only 4 KG for a desktop tower machine so it will not take too much space on my desktop and if I travel to some other country I can take it easily with me.

On the other hand the second choice is bit less powerful but cheaper and I can easily take with me to town if I want to sit in some kaffebar and do some work.

Please advise.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's not just a bit less powerful. It's way less powerful. PassMark scores the laptop processor at about 9,000 but scores the desktop processor at 16,000. That's almost twice the performance. That said it's a synthetic benchmark and real world performance may not be as drastic but some tasks like lightmap baking will probably see that difference.

For graphical performance it's entirely up to what your goal is. My understanding from researching the current generation of hardware is that the 1080 Ti is the only choice for 4K with demanding applications and games. If you don't care about 4K then the 1070 will be fine.

maxnb likes this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Here is my 1080 TI (GPU Bound test)

vs a 1070

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'd be looking at more than just the GPU. For starters, the usage differences between a laptop and a desktop are pretty huge. The portability of laptops is awesome, but they have the downside of having fixed peripherals, a single small screen, not being particularly ergonomic, and so on. You can of course buy separate peripherals to use when you're at a desk anyway, but then add some dollars back on.

Something worth considering with the laptop is performance when on battery. Expect no more than two hours when playing 3D games (or similar) off battery, and expect only a fraction of your GPUs normal power under those circumstances. Laptop manufacturers tend to avoid talking about this, but it's basically the science of how batteries work. That GPU alone at full clip would suck a laptop battery dry so quickly it would damage it, assuming the battery could even sustain that level of output to begin with. My own laptop with a 1070 runs Battlefield 1 silky smooth maxed out when plugged in, and unplayably slowly from the battery.

I'm still loving that laptop to bits. No regrets whatsoever. I tend not to need a full 1070 when I'm on the go. And when I'm not on the go I can plug it into my desktop screens for a full workstation style environment, or I have a portable demo station ready to go whenever there's a power plug nearby. And if I still had time to go to LAN parties it'd be the most amazing thing ever.

As a developer making games, I'd be happy with the performance of either of the listed machines. I'd think more about how and where I wanted to use it.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  5. orb

orb

I have two about equal GPUs in different computer, less powerful than 1080 Ti (possibly even less than 1070), and I play all games just great at 1080p/1440p (one only has a 1080p monitor and I'm happy with that). The other components matter much more if the device is also for development.

How often do you work on the go with a laptop? If the answer is at least a few days every week you're likely going to enjoy a laptop the most. The CPU is two generations older on the laptop though (and therefore two generations more battery-hungry).

What sort of SSDs are there in those? SATA is now on the way out, and the addictive properties of NVMe will change you :)

9th generation Intel is just around the corner. If you can wait, you'll have new options or a nice price drop on the 8th generation hardware. If you're buying new, why not buy NEW? Last two generations or nothing, in my opinion.

If you care about having 32GB RAM you might also care about having 6-8GB VRAM. Laptops sometimes get reduced VRAM compared the very same GPU on desktops.

6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Also dont look at Intel only, AMD is really good these days (It was not like that before Ryzen). I'm really happy with my 2700x, all problems with the 1800x has been ironed out. ANd the 32 core Threadripper is aroudn the corner

7. maxnb

maxnb

Thank you all guys. I've made my decision. AndersMalmgren thanks (tack) for your GPU test, it made my decision easier! :)

I'll go for now with my first choice.

Anders after your recomendation I did take a look at some threadripper offers, but one of them that I found was starting at 28kg for desktop computer (https://www.dell.com/sv-se/shop/del...-threadripper-edition/spd/alienware-area51-r3) so its a no go. Elite One is only 4 kg so I can easily bring it with me on trips when I travel.

So thank you all guys for your valuable input, I appreciate it! :)

8. orb

orb

Why not build your own SFF computer if size is an issue?

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You can get away lighter than that, though since the large CPU there is only extended ATX motherboards available for it (as far as I know). If you go for a 2700x you can use mini-itx and build a very small build.

personally I like space in my computer, here is my baby (not current hardware)

Varsegod

10. Player7

Player7

A 1070gtx on a laptop isn't bad..

Just took a look at that desktop pc https://www.scan.co.uk/products/cor...0k-32gb-ddr4-480gb-m2-ssdplus2tb-hdd-11gb-gtx

I mean for a custom prebuilt machine it's not bad for size, weight, quietness... but for that price you could get a really good desktop pc probably not so portable (but atleast upgradable) and laptop with some deal hunting and building it yourself. Splitting budget on desktop/laptop.

Guess it really comes down to wanting a portable desktop pc.. still have to get a screen for it and carry that around right.

Should also note that if you are wanting to do high end rendering/gfx with that Otoy thing, it will only support 1 gpu for free, you might aswel get the fastest gpu you can for it ie 1080ti or wait for nvidia's next wallet ripper and hope mining has died.

11. Grafos

Grafos

None. Pascal GPU's are reaching the end of the line. I'd wait for the next gen, it could come as early as next month according to rumors.

12. XCPU

XCPU

sometimes it may be better to go for the lower option, chances are that's what customers have.
    can make testing more realistic. like alot of things, it depends i guess.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just keep in mind that the next generation of non-Titan cards won't surpass the 1080 Ti right away. That's how it's typically been now for years. The 1080 card is a beast but the 980 Ti outperformed it. A new series coming out won't immediately make a 1080 Ti obsolete.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  14. Grafos

Grafos

No, not true, the 1080 surpasses the 980ti comfortably in virtually every benchmark, as 980 was superior to 780ti. The 980ti is roughly on par with non-ti 1070 performance-wise.

Ryiah likes this.
  15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I always wait for the TI card :) well I have only had two TI cards, before my 980 TI I had the 690

16. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

As for the next gen cards, it is hard to say when they will be available or what the performance level will be. The most popular rumors currently suggest an August 2018 release date with GTX 1180 performing similar to GTX 1080 ti or possibly even Titan XP. The rumors also suggest the price point of the GTX 1180 will likely be higher than the GTX 1080 ti.

Again, those are unconfirmed rumors. If you need a card now, get the GTX 1080 ti in a desktop PC. You will absolutely love it.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

I just checked the benchmarks again (last time I looked it up was months ago) and you're right. I must have been confusing it with the 980 SLI benchmarks which occasionally pulled ahead for the one or two games that it works on. :p

18. orb

orb

Or perhaps the benchmarks were different at launch. It's VERY common for launch drivers to really suck ;)

EternalAmbiguity and Ryiah like this.
  19. LaneFox

LaneFox

1070 with a good processor basically runs everything on max settings. IMO it's overkill to get a 1080.

Also if you're going to do a benchmark comparison of GPUs, at least have the common sense to make sure the rest of the hardware is the same (cpu/ram etc)

20. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, and it's been speculated that it's largely due to them having no meaningful competition. We need AMD (or Intel if they manage to successfully create good dedicated cards like they keep claiming they will) to release a new series to see them step up their release cycle.

22. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I own a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080 ti. (both in desktop PCs) I have also used a GTX 1080 in a system I helped a friend build. All three cards perform very well. At 1080p, there is not much reason for the GTX 1080 or GTX 1080 ti. However, if you run higher resolutions and have a monitor that can run at higher speeds, then the GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 ti are definitely worth the premium. For example, I run 144Hz at 1440p in one of my PCs with a GTX 1080 ti, and that card is definitely worth it in that system.

23. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Seriously. And rumors about the power (or lack thereof) of Navi are depressing.

24. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, I agree that I would also love to see AMD seriously challenge Nvidia on the high end card market. However, I definitely see the business case for an inexpensive card that could deliver performance at the GTX 1080 level. If AMD does bring out a $250 card that performs like the current Nvidia GTX 1080 card, then it will be a record seller. Most people are not interested in buying expensive video cards. I am very happy to drop $1000 on a video card, because I absolutely love high end video cards. But most users think anything above about $300-$400 is crazy.

25. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Very true. It's smart business sense, just like the consoles. Just makes things harder for enthusiasts.

26. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

One nice thing for game developers is that we will probably finally see a lot of gamers suddenly upgrade to GTX 1080 level performance. And that will be a good thing for supporting new games. I know plenty of guys who used to game, but currently only have an AMD 58x0 or Nvidia 8800 card. Those cards can't play modern games well, so those guys are out of the PC gaming market. If AMD can deliver a $250 card that performs like a GTX 1080, those guys will jump back into PC gaming.

27. LurkingNinjaDev

LurkingNinjaDev

I personally would go with the desktop and would buy a good monitor with it. Many forgets, but doing any type of creative work (demos, games, design, graphics) involves a good monitor with good color-space, decent refresh rate and decent resolution. The better gfx card allows you to drive a better monitor too on higher refresh rate and/or higher resolution.