Search Unity

Should I focus on the graphics of my game first?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Hotpockets26, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Hotpockets26

Hotpockets26

Hello, so I'm making a game but dont have much experience in graphics yet, I want to learn how to make cel shaders, but in the meantime while I am learning about how to make my game look "Good" I want to set up the scene with characters, props, the environment etc. So basically what I'm asking is, Can I go ahead and start making all my models in blender, put them in the game, and then add shaders and lighting later? or is there something I should do to my models now to prepare for that phase?

Any response is greatly appreciated , thank you.

2. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

I would mix it up a little. From the final look you'll probably learn you need some adjustments to your models. Once you are comfortable with the final look, you can go ahead and finish all the models and then worry about the details later.

3. Torbach78

Torbach78

i'd recommend focusing on the feel + gameplay of a game; anecdotally speaking chess doesn't need graphics, just legibility to focus the experience on what matters. In other words art serves the immersion of the gameplay experience and it is your gameplay that will make/break it's success. If the gameplay needs the lighting and shaders, then you will want to add them in as you build out the infrastructure. If it is essentially set dressing, offers little to zero interactivity/immersion that can wait.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Okay. First off, what gaming platform is the game for?
    Eg. PC, or Mac, or Tablet, or game console etc.
    The question I asked above, is one of the things, to ask yourself
    before you start, making your game. :)
    If you know what platform, you're planning to make your game for
    then that'll give you an idea, of how many polys, to use in your blender props.

PC's with good hardware, in most cases, can handle more polygons,
    characters, effects and alot of props etc.

Hand held devices, like tablets, and phones etc, might require you
    to use less polygons, for characters and enviroments etc.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

I can simply answer no. Focus on creativity and innovation better. Something that nobody made before.