Search Unity

Should I ditch VRTK? Knuckls not supported..

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by CloudyVR, Nov 9, 2018.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

With SteamVR 2.0 I find that VRTK is broken and noone knows how to fix it.

Also I am trying to integrate Knuckles to my game, but that requires SteamVR 2.0.

At this point I have a heavy reliance on VRTK and use it mainly for the UI system.

But I don't want to be stuck in this trap where I depend on something that will never be updated.

Should I ditch it? It would be a huge amount of work but well worth the effort if I can fully support knuckles.

I just have no idea how to support SteamVR 1.2.3 + VRTK 3.3 + Knuckles EV3.

Any ideas how to avoid all that work? Does SteamVR 1.2.3 support knuckles in any way???

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I ditched it. It doesn't support Go (at least, didn't when I looked at it) either, and didn't offer any benefits that seemed particularly compelling to me.

But that's just me. Is it worth it for you? Only you can say.

CloudyVR likes this.
  3. Ostwind

Ostwind

VRTK always supported Go as it's pretty much identical to GearVR but you just needed to have one of the newer versions.

For the SteamVR v2 issue it's not about no one knowing how to fix or add it but who will do it. The main VRTK team is currently focusing on V4 which will support all Knuckles revisions. You could add the support yourself if you cant live without it and are in a hurry. Community is free to add the support for the V3 and add a pull request since it's an open source project.

4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I wish I had known from the beginning that VRTK was a really bad decision. Having to unlearn VRTK and learn StramVR interaction system just for Knuckles is like, well, starting over from scratch.

One year of development, and I now find myself taking it all the way back to the drawing board for a complete re-write.

I was hoping to launch in 3 months.

Hell....

5. Ostwind

Ostwind

Complete re-write? Seems you did not even look what the SteamVR v2 changes are and attempt to add the support yourself. Tip: it's not that hard since you would be doing it only to support your game, your controls scheme and used features. Additionally you could have paid someone to add the support or collaborated with the other EV3 owners in the VRTK slack instead of scrapping it all :)

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    tcmeric likes this.
  6. tcmeric

tcmeric

Supports GO just fine. Using it myself. Any system you started using pre steam 2.0 would have had the exact same issue. Again, why not join the channel. Try and pool some money together for the update for 3.x. Lastly, nothing will be updated or supported forever. At least with open source you can access all the code freely online to update as you need.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

In our game 11 lines broke when when moving to SteamVR 2. Its not magic. Move all button dependant code to Actions instead. Our game abstracted buttons into Commands so it was easy for me to port commands to actions.

I have some important SteamVR 2 issues open that are important for making good VR games. I'm confident Valve will fix them

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/issues/178
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/issues/179
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/issues/185

tcmeric likes this.