Search Unity

Should I attend the Game Developers Conference?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeTeavee, Feb 28, 2016.

1. MikeTeavee

MikeTeavee

I read online that the GDC is possibly the best way to network and even find work. I have modded/level designed in the past, but only have about a year coding with the Unity API. I am looking for some kind of entry level job, I'm constantly having second thoughts about whether I have what it takes to make it in the industry.

This has been quite the adventure as I've put everything aside in my life to spend time improving my abilities. I've only become serious about game development recently and I'm incredibly nervous about being to late to the race. (I turn 34 this year). I'm also nervous that my skills are worthless compared to those that have been doing game development their whole lives. My time has been spent in computer repair in maintenance.
    One thing I'm concerned about is the fact that the Independent Game Summit is sold out, and it seems like this would have been the most helpful for me.

Money is not a problem, but I would have to fly from Boston to San Fran, find a hotel etc. I don't want to waste the time and effort if this isn't going to move me forward based on where I am in my progress of game development. Should I go anyway? Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. MikeTeavee

MikeTeavee

Could I get this moved to the getting started section?

3. Lockethane

Lockethane

I know a few people who have made contacts and have gotten jobs through GDC. If you're strong in social networking and think you have a portfolio to back it up then it could be worth it. Just understand that you might need to go more than once and/or be ready to wait for a while for someone to have a spot open to break out the rolodex.

MikeTeavee likes this.
  4. Martin_H

Martin_H

I have only been to GDC once and it was the GDC in Germany, so my experience is super limited. I'd say you have to decide for yourself. I'm not really good with approaching strangers and even worse at hyping myself up as a freelancer. I showed my portfolio to a few, gave away a few calling cards, but I got nothing out of it. It was fun though, so if the money doesn't hurt you, just go there and make it your top priority to have fun and enjoy the experience. You need to decide for yourself it it's all worth it to you or not.

MikeTeavee likes this.