Search Unity

Should almost all the assets be marked as addressables?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by calpolican, Jan 7, 2020.

1. calpolican

calpolican

I'm new to addressables and need some help here.
    I'm still a bit unsure on what to mark as an addressable. Right now I'm just addressing only the stuff that needs to be loaded at runtime, i.e. what I used to have in the resources folder.
    But after some thought, it would seem to me that it would be better to almost put all of my assets as addressables. Prefabs, models, textures, sounds, animations, even the levels. If I understand this correctly, there's no cons to it and it would later allow me to change every asset after the game has been shipped. Say, for example, I could modify the character's model to improve it, modify the rig, solve any bugs asset related, etc.
    So, may question is if it's really better to just mark everything as addressables, or if there are things were that's not the best idea.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. jonagill_rr

jonagill_rr

Unless you're loading your assets via the Addressables API, marking them as Addressable isn't going to do anything. Objects and assets that are directly included in scenes in your build will still be baked into the game executable.

Try looking up some tutorials on Asset Bundles (the system that Addressables is based on) -- that might help explain how to set up your project to take advantage of Addressables.

phobos2077 likes this.
  3. DetroitBrian

DetroitBrian

Can't spell "Community" without "Unity"!

4. calpolican

calpolican

I don't think I ever said that, sorry if my phrasing was misleading.
    Yeah, what I'm asking is if instead of including most scenes in the build I should put them in an addressable group, and have them separated from the executable. The same with the assets they reference. Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks, I've only watched Addressable tutorials so far, I'll try to check on the Asset Bundle's ones. Maybe there's info that's skipped in the later tutorials. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, I've seen those videos shown in the youtube results, I'm using some of those already to try to get the hang of it, thanks.