Search Unity

Should 3D models be lifesize in Unity?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by ClanAlba, Aug 18, 2017.

1. ClanAlba

ClanAlba

Hi,
    I'm building a 3D game designed around a school. I'm making all the 3D models in blender and setting the scale to meter and making actual size models. My question is would the game perform quicker/ smoother if the 3D models are smaller? My computer has a GPU but the game will be played on laptop PCs at a school where I teach, the laptops don't have any GPU so I want to ensure the game peformance is okay for them. I know the graphics quality setting can be adjusted, just wondered about the scale of the models when building the game.

2. Fabian-Haquin

Fabian-Haquin

Hi,

Unity is designed in such a way that 1 unit is 1 meter, you can ignore this if you want but if an object is too small or too big, you will encounter float imprecision especially with the depth buffer.

It will not really impact performances but you may have graphics artefacts.

In short, yes you should respect the size of objects unless you really know what you are doing.

Also, the lightmaps are object size dependant but it can be upscaled or downscaled independantly of the size of the object. Anyway, by default Unity assume you are working in meters unit.

If you want to know more about optimizing your game, you can find a lot of great stuff here.

I believe the laptop at your school do have GPU's but something like an Intel 400 isn't ?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. ClanAlba

ClanAlba

Many Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the link you sent.
    Currently I'm on summer vacation and been using my off time to develop the game. When I return to school I will check what the CPU, DX etc all is. I've just done a quick test in my old Dell Inspiron LapTop
    has Core2Duo CPU and the game is okay but I have yet to add the model school's 2nd floor so I need to try lighting up the 3D model classrooms as efficiently as possible for a CPU. Removing the shadows helps a huge amout with the game speed.
    Thanks again,