Search Unity

short film in preparation

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by musicolart, Oct 25, 2021.

1. musicolart

musicolart

Hello everyone, I am new to the Unity site. I would like to have some criticism on a short film in preparation. "Lydia's Quest".
    I wish you a good day.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    DevKS and GeniusKoala like this.
  2. akent99

akent99

All up good job! I mean its not Toy Story quality - that would require a HUGELY greater investment. So my comments are within the constraints of the tool. Also, not understanding the language makes it harder to provide meaningful comments on script and pacing sorry!

The opening page of text scrolling up - I would see if you can reduce the length. Its a lot of text to read to get into it.

I got that there was a desert scene with the hot sun, but then shortly afterwards riding down a river - not understanding the voice track I was left wondering why.

All up the animation was pretty good! One that gave me pause was the eagle catching the snake. Was the eagle landing and capturing the snake and flying off? Or did it catch the snake as it swooped past? That part was the least clear to me (the take off transition). It was not bad, it just felt more rough than the rest (to me!!). I liked having the snake - it made it interesting - more variety, and it reinforced the "hot desert" feel.

I assume you know of the "rule of thirds"? Things "look good" lined up on 1/3 and 2/3 lines. You have things offset a lot (which looks good), and often have the head room in front of the character (which is good). Sometimes the character gets a bit close to the edge of the screen or a little close to the top and this can feel a little crowded. But overall I think pretty good (minor thing for you to review yourself). E.g. 3:33 I thought the camera was going to keep moving so the character disappeared out of shot, but the camera stopped with your character right on the edge.

There was one transition at 2:22 where the camera jumped from one side to the other making the horse move left to right (towards the camera), then right to left in the next camera shot. This can disorient the viewer. I was left wondering did the horse change direction? You can certainly change directions at times, but that one jarred with me a bit because it did not stay that direction long (it went to a frontal shot). The others felt okay to me!

(I am not a filmmaker, so use this feedback at own risk!!! ;-)

3. musicolart

musicolart

Thanks for the constructive reviews.
    I still have work for the tuning that I will achieve during the editing.
    A short excerpt from an attempted English subtitle. (Sorry for the syntax errors): / You can correct me if you want. :)

DevKS and CrandellWS like this.
  4. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

points for effort, fyi if it is a film your doing for "YouTube" and other streaming services then I suggest you learn how to do native close captions (subtitles). You would get greater coverage and be able to take advantage of auto translations if you use the YouTube closed caption feature.

I am interested in making a film myself and have acquired a few assets to help do this... I am wondering what do you use? Did you use an assets from the Asset Store? Any of them free?

I wanted to use but have been to busy to workout the details as of yet for working with the Storyteller asset...

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/storyteller-97715

It's $100 now but i got it when it was a lot cheaper

what are you using for head, eye and mouth movements?

5. musicolart

musicolart

The skin faces of my characters.
    An image of the film in préparation.

Attached Files:

akent99 likes this.
  6. musicolart

musicolart

screenshot3.png

Attached Files:

• dog.png
      dog.png
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    DevKS and akent99 like this.
  7. akent99

akent99

Nice screenshot, but if you ever film at that distance I would put some pillars on the rear of the building - makes me nervous that the roof will fall on someone! ;-) ;-) ;-)

8. DevKS

DevKS

Overall, the animation was quite excellent! I watched and like it. I thought it was a little dark, so please boost the contrast.

9. musicolart

musicolart

Well seen ! I have not fully finished the architecture of the temple.
    I don't like the pillars, they are too similar.
    Thank you for this constructive criticism.

10. musicolart

musicolart

Is it too dark for the whole video or a particular scene ?

11. DevKS

DevKS

It's not too dark, and if you can add some contrast to the entire video, that's much better.

ac market shareit nox

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  12. musicolart

musicolart

This is a trial. I still have to do the COMPOSITING and encoding in HDR, thank you for your criticism on the contrast.
    What do you have as a video card?
    I have an Nvidia 1050 ti (it is not sufficient for me to have a quality rendering).

13. musicolart

musicolart

animation of a dog that I must include in my short film

Attached Files:

• DOG.gif
      DOG.gif
      File size:
      616.6 KB
      Views:
    akent99 likes this.
  14. akent99

akent99

For brightness and contrast, you can play with light sources in Unity, but you can also use external video tools like Adobe Premier Pro or After Effects. I don't think the video card you have matters when it comes to brightness, it it more the intensity of the light sources. Contrast is an interesting question - I am sure you have control in Unity but no idea how... I wonder if there are color correction filters you can apply...

15. musicolart

musicolart

Thank you for the info. I don't know youtube was doing simultaneous translation :) I'll go check it out.
    The materials I use are diverse: an XPEN graphic 12 graphics tablet; blender 2.8; gimp; MOVAVI; Krita and the good old pencil and sheet of paper.

I don't use unity to make my short film. COMPOSITING and RENDERING and very resource intensive. I am currently with an EEVE encoding whereas I should for an HDR image compile in CYCLE.
    The power of the video card especially for 3d animation is important.

I made the walking animation of the main character of my short film.

akent99 likes this.
  16. brandonmane

brandonmane

Yeah i was wondering the same thing. I think you put it perfectly. It needs improvement but its definitely good.

17. musicolart

musicolart

My short film 3d Lydia's quest - scène2_plan 23

18. musicolart

musicolart

Lydia follows in the footsteps of MORLOCH, a giant from the northern mountains who kidnapped her younger sister.

19. musicolart

musicolart

The first pictures - plan 1 scène3.