Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooter AI – The Ultimate Artificial Intelligence Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nikita68, Oct 8, 2013.

1. tr1stan

tr1stan

@nikita68 I did deactivated the "IK Active Global". And i didn't modify anything else from the prefabs in your package. I'm looking forward to see your upcoming step by step guide for those characters. I just can't get it right myself.

2. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi all,

Please download the reviewed and improved ShooterAI-FinalIK integration

So there are 2 scripts:
    - ShooterAI_FBBIK, which manages the hand effectors of a FullBodyBipedIK component so they work nicely with Shooter AI. It also enables you to set up bend goals for the elbows. Please note that the biped auto-detection of FBBIK fails for that particular example character, it thinks the feet are the knees, so that needs to be corrected in the references of FBBIK, also the left elbow and right knee need to be rotated a little so the little blue arrows would face towards the natural bending direction of those limbs. That has been done already in the demo scene provided with the package.

Also note that using FBBIK to put a single hand on a gun is a mayor overkill and a big waste of performance (unless you want to use FBBIK for other stuff as well), so I also made ShooterAI_LimbIK, which uses LimbIK component(s) instead. That is the recommended optimal solution for this use case.

Good luck with your shooters! :)
    Pärtel

nikita68 and chelnok like this.
  3. Efgames

Efgames

Got a few things for you:

- After creating a character, using NavMesh, when I hit play, the surrounding boxes (height, head position sphere, body capture), all get scaled down. Apparently, the character goes into a crouch position, but it shows the Idle animation. (I'm using a different model, but using your Animation template).
    - If you uncheck "can crouch", the size remains correct.
    - On the NavMesh agent script, on the character, even with a Base Offset of 0, the character shifts up a few units. Any idea?
    - Is it possible to see the hear and sight radius with a debug volume circle? Trying to troubleshoot why my characters are seeing/hearing each other, when they are apparently very far apart is pretty difficult, without having a sense of scale (for example, if my scale on the model is high, is it influencing the sensors range?).
    - I've used the website support page, but I'll post it again as well: is there a way to get your character to stay at a waypoint for X seconds, before resuming his patrol, without tweaking the code?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. nikita68

nikita68

@Partel Lang -
    Thank you very, very much :)

@Efgames -
    1 + 2) Fixed in 1.5.1
    3) Thats some Unity Navmesh issue. I use -0.17 by default.
    4) Thats a bit harder because the algorithm isn't linear for the ears. It actually calculates the real distance between the AI and its enemy, including obstacles. So the real hearing distance is really environment dependent. I'll try and add a max hearing "bubble" though
    5) Yep, just saw it :) I'll post the answer here:
    Go to your AI -> AIController Child -> Optimisation -> "Patrol: Frames To Check" -> Set this to something high. This is the value set in frames of how quickly the AI updates its patrolling waypoints.

@Everybody -
    Heres a mirror to the handIK download:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/256n5n25qgj567m/ShooterAI-FinalIK.unitypackage

also 1.5.1 has been submitted:

- IK bugs
    - Angles being measured from incorrect locations -> weird animations
    - Fixed health manager y-scale bug
    - Added auditory (only max hearing distance) and sight gizmos

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. Efgames

Efgames

Awesome ! Thanks for the help.

Any idea why I will get this error message:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    RagdollHelper.set_ragdolled (Boolean value) (at Assets/Shooter AI/Animations/RagdollBack/Scripts/RagdollHelper.cs:66)
    HealthManager+<GoBackToNormal>c__Iterator40.MoveNext () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/HealthSystem/HealthManager.cs:63)

When my character gets killed by another melee character?

I've set up one character being chased by a few others, and often, when they reach him, I can see the anim being played, but they miss him and just hang out there, not doing anything.

But when they kill him, sometimes, I got the above error message, other time, it works fine and the character just drops down and remains on the ground.

When it breaks, it seems that it's because the character falls through the world, then get slingshoted back onto the ground.

6. nikita68

nikita68

@Efgames -
    Thank you for spotting these bugs. It does look like the ragdoll gets screwed up. Fixed in 1.5.1b .

Thanks!

7. poorsport

poorsport

I'm having some issues with the demo stuff. The Capture the Flag demo seems off. The gun is floating in front of the characters now and they are not holding it. Then sometimes it points down - still character not holding. I know you made updates recently to try to allow for gun to hang down when not aiming. But it seems it broke other things. Also, characters are moving around like crazy when dead and sometimes flipping in the air. So rag doll death animation seems off.

I also dropped some of the provided zombies into an existing UFPS scene I created. They move around and chase me. But some of them seem to die on their own (maybe they attack each other?). And when they get to me - their arm animations are way off and they don't actually do any damage unless I am in perfect position. When zombies die, they are flipping in the air like crazy too.

Can you work on getting the demos and provided models to work normally? I was hoping to get a fully working copy to have a reference on how to properly do things. Then I can compare my attempts with something I know works.

Also, I have a building with stairs. It's rigged with mesh collider and I can walk up the stairs no problem. However, the zombies walk right through it as if no collider. I baked the scene too. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.

8. nikita68

nikita68

@poorsport -
    We've already sent out an update (1.5.1b) out to the asset store, but they need to approve it. Most of the bugs you reported are fixed. If not we'll work on it till we fix them :)

Regarding the stairs:
    1) Did you mark the stairs as static?
    2) Is the step size smaller than the steps themselves?

Thanks!

9. poorsport

poorsport

My bad. I thought I had latest version. Didn't realize it was waiting for approval.

I figured out the zombie deal. You were right - needs to be static and I lowered step high then baked. Thanks!

10. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

@nikita68

Can I use the voice/soundclips for a commercial project as well?

11. nikita68

nikita68

@Smartline-Games -
    Sure, though please add credits. Are you sure you want to use them? They aren't the highest quality. Also if you want to find a little easter egg, look into Shooter AI/Audio/Voices/Voice Awesome. My lead artist and me got bored and made these :)

12. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

@nikita68
    Haha, didn't know about the little easter egg. Almost sure to use them, and adding credits IF I'm going to use them. By the way I'm just using them for the NPCs/Bots who are walking and shooting around in the singleplayer version of my current gameproject. Which means you won't hear them very loudly at all. Just to make sure that I won't have a result with guns-, explosions- and artillery-sounds + music all the time. ^_^

13. thendricks

thendricks

I think it's a good ai, just change the IK method. I think that you should attach the gun to the hand so it looks more realistic, and if your going to supply animations please use better ones, the character stands upright which doesn't look good in a shooter, the character should stand slightly sideways with one foot in front the other. My criticisms are mostly based on how the AI looks, the AI performs amazingly and most situations have been considered, and with strafing on the way it will act even better. The last point is that cover should be more dynamic AI's should be able to shoot over cover that's shorter than them, but still use it as cover, take a look at the AI's in this project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoiTsXk-YRA (no advertising intended)

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  14. nikita68

nikita68

@thendricks -

1) We recommend using FinalIK for the IK, as it provides AAA quality and feel.
    2) We're working on trying new animations. It would help us greatly if anybody could provide some links.
    3) You can already have "half-covers", though you need to be careful to set the eye level correctly and the cover.

Thanks!

15. poorsport

poorsport

Hi, I just downloaded the latest version. The capture the flag demo is still the same. Gun is just floating. No hands on the gun at all. I even did a fresh import into brand new project to make sure it wasn't a re-import issue. Can you look into this?

16. nikita68

nikita68

@poorsport -
    Heres what i'm getting:
    $ikworking.png

Are you sure your using 1.5.1b? Sometimes the Asset Store takes a couple hours to update on all servers.
    What are your specs? Unity type? Pro/free? etc..

Thanks!

17. poorsport

poorsport

Hi, I reimported. Imported into new project, etc 10 minutes ago. Same issues. The guys still have floating gun. Then flop around like crazy when dead.

I have Unity Free version 4.3.3.

It's not holding back my progress too much, but I wanted to see it working like you have.

18. thendricks

thendricks

Same Here, I dont think they gave us the complete package

19. thendricks

thendricks

Could we please have a tutorial on team strategies and how to write our own scripts for it.

20. radiantboy

radiantboy

I think your pdf link is down for the docs, was just trying to check it, can Shooter AI do ordinary way point patrolling stuff too? Was just wondering there. The new updates look great, will get back into this once I have finished evaluating Fantasy AI which is awesome too!!.. What a good time to be an indie who needs AI!...

21. nikita68

nikita68

@porrsport thendricks -

Ok, seeing as though 2 users are getting this, i'll put this higher in the priorities. A couple questions:
    1) Unity Indy or Pro?
    2) Which platform?
    3) Does the IK work in the other demos?

@thendricks - I'll try and make one soon :)

@radiantboy -
    1) Thanks! Just noticed. Heres the newer link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bke8071xsoexh15/DocumentationMain.pdf
    2) It already handles all normal patrolling stuff, but if you need more custom waypoint system, look into the CTF demo.

Thanks!

22. poorsport

poorsport

1) Unity Indie
    2) Mac (Unity Player)
    3) IK does NOT work in other demos.

Thanks for looking into it.

red2blue likes this.
  23. nikita68

nikita68

@poorsport -
    If you switch the platform to executable, does the IK work?

24. poorsport

poorsport

No, it does not. Ran as Mac OSX standalone.

25. thendricks

thendricks

The AI is great but it has a big impact on frame rate, I'm making a mobile fps and the demo scene runs at 9 fps on the galaxy s3 mini, is there any way to tune it down or could we get a tuned down version in the next update(as well as the current AI)

26. nikita68

nikita68

@poorsport -
    What about the Free soldier prefabs? Do they work?

@thendricks -
    Its easy to turn down the AI. Go into the "AiController Child" -> "Optimisation" and play around with the values. I will release a more detailed video soon.
    Regarding this, we've noticed in tests that Shooter AI now uses only 2% of the CPU power, and Mecanim/models is the main reason for the FPS drop.

@Everybody -
    2 new tutorials out! Team controllers and Beahvior Designer integration (will be available in the coming update):

Thanks!

27. thendricks

thendricks

Thanks for the tutorials and the optimisation tips

28. nikita68

nikita68

@Everybody -

New tutorial on optimization!

Thanks!
    Nikita

29. NW76

NW76

I am having the same IK problems the other guys are having. The weapons in all of the demos are not lining up properly. The arms on the unity soldiers are turning inside the bodies. On my own characters any arm holding the weapons is twisted and mangled.

I am using Unity Indie 4.5.0f6.

PC standalone platform

I am using version number 1.5.1b of Shooter AI

30. nikita68

nikita68

Ahhhh, it seems as though Unity 4.5 messed some stuff up. Some other AI developers also reported having issues with 4.5. I'll look into what exactly is wrong and how we can fix it.
    I apologize in advance for any inconveniences!

Thanks!
    Nikita

31. radiantboy

radiantboy

Could you do a tutorial on how to use a different fbx model to the test ones you use? Or is this already done somewhere?

32. radiantboy

radiantboy

Note: as usual I start a message an edit a million points into it as I play :)

Been playing latest version with UFPS, BOY is that AWESOME, especially with the slow mo!!!! One guy ran into me and I got this error - 'GunGeneric(Clone)' AnimationEvent has no function name specified!

Apart from that Im blown away by how good this is with ufps. Thanks again!!! What I really want is a really easy way to set up characters, I see you included the soldier so I will have a look at that :)..

I also seemed to get this error when I was jumping in the air -
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    IKFreeManager.Update () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/Animation/IK/IKFreeManager.cs:80)

When removing the floor from under the dudes, Id expect them to fall, why dont they?

PS. whoops I just realised you show how to do what I want in lesson 1 :) thanks!..

Also Am I missing something, I do not see "create new character" as stated in docs!.. update - ok its now in tools menu :) sorry for my raving (please update docs tho hehe)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  33. radiantboy

radiantboy

Also experienced:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    AIStateManager.CloseRangeFightLogic () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:986)
    AIStateManager.Update () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:658)

34. radiantboy

radiantboy

Also is there a good tutorial on how to make the AI characters hold guns realistically? The early one just sort of has the gun floating near the hands, also cant work out how to use guns that require 2 hands

Also came across this - what is causing it?
    Shooter AI: AI not yielding weapon in list
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
    AIStateManager:MultipleWeaponsConfigure() (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:1784)
    AIStateManager:Update() (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:177)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  35. nikita68

nikita68

@radiantboy -

Thank you for your compliments! :) We've been working a lot with the awesome UFPS developers.

I do need to update the docs :)

The error your getting seems like the AI character is having trouble with the weapons that are setup. Try watching this tutorial if you have multiple weapons (
    ) or try rebuilding your AI.

If you want really, really good IK, i recommend getting FinalIK, which works really nicely with Shooter AI.

@Everybody -

New tutorial on how to swap animations!

Thanks!
    Nikita

36. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks man FinalIK it is!! just a video of my game using Shooter AI, thought u might enjoy hehe

37. radiantboy

radiantboy

I just want a guy who has no weapon but can pick up (or simply use one he already has) melee weapons, but I always get the error about ai not yeilding a weapon in list, where is this list? Why is it referring to it if I have ticked use no gun. If I knew where this list was it would help a lot I think.

Gonna list a few issues as I find them hope thats ok :) Firstly I got a guy doing melee only, but then when he hit me with a stool I got this error:

'stoolmelee' AnimationEvent has no function name specified!

How do I fix that? Also he didnt seem to swing it properly, his arm jumped fast, Im assuming we need to supply an animation here, is there no default one we can use?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  38. mpamukcu

mpamukcu

hi , i am using unity3d 4.5 pro and soldierprefab in fully finished folder shoots like this; and floating through floor when its die or crouching. Is there anything i should do? (they are floating in demo scenes too)

39. radiantboy

radiantboy

This issue is really killing me, it takes hours of trial and error now to get a guy working without this error, Im not sure why, I tried to move my guys to a new scene but now I cant get them to work. Always getting this error, even if I hit use no gun, or even if I set up a gun, it just clears it when I run and I get the same issue, very strange. Where is this list, what is the purpose of it? why do my guys always hit this error even when they have guns. Im assuming theres something im doing wrong as usual :)

Shooter AI: AI not yielding weapon in list
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
    AIStateManager:MultipleWeaponsConfigure() (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:1784)
    AIStateManager:Update() (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:177)

40. nikita68

nikita68

@radiantboy -

1) Have you clicked the "Yield No Weapon" in the Weapons section?
    2) The animation error you're getting is basically that you specified an Animation Event in the your stool animation, but it isn't there on the code. Try looking into your animations.
    3) There is a default animation, though they're rough and not very good. Heres a tutorial on it:

4) We fixed this error in 1.5.1b . Try updating Shooter AI.

@mpamukcu -

This looks like a bug in Unity 4.5 . We're working towards fixing this, though we don't know how long it will take. If you need the IK urgently and you don't have Pro, i recommend buying FinalIK.

41. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks again, also the docs link is down again :)

42. radiantboy

radiantboy

I see a button that says "hold no gun" but when you use it causes the error AI not yielding weapon in list. So I have to have an invisible gun in my npcs that I dont want to shoot me.

Seems to work fine if I untick "allowed to think".. but then he wont follow way points - then I went back to the way I had it but he just stood there. Im going to read through all the code very soon so I can get a better understanding :)

Also how do we adjust the time delay between way points, he seems to stop on each one right now. Id also like to trigger a different animation so that during his wait time at waypoints you can have him use different idle animations etc, but im assuming I will have to delve into the scripts for that.

Also have you ever encountered him just stop at 2nd way point and refuse to continue? happening right now for me, not sure how to debug that. EDIT: increasing"distance to register way point" fixes me guy not moving on to next way point :)

Also is there any way to get the guys to jump? from platform to platform?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  43. nikita68

nikita68

@Everybody -
    RyanEarpGW is going to start taking over the bulk of the support! This will let me concentrate on improving the product and adding features.

@radiantboy -

We're currently looking into your bugs.

44. Optical-Illusions

Optical-Illusions

Hi,

I have bought this package a longtime ago, and over the updates I have seen major improvements. However there still is a lot more to go to complete this package and I thought I might give some ideas I hope will be brought in in a future update hopefully the next. 1 for me what really bothers me is the fact that there is nor reloading animations and instead the ais stand still frozen and look really weird. Two I think there should be multiple voices for the same type of situation and a random playback of these voices when in that situation. Ex (reloading... Cover me I'm reloading). 3 you cannot kill an ai with the realistic prefab assets but they can kill you, needs to be fixed. As before I'm needs to be fixed especially in unity free. And lastly the ai should be able to roam around the map with lots of waypoints and strings so that the ai can be able to randomly wander around the map without only having three waypoints. That way the ai would be more dynamic and not always to be expected in the same area following a path. If you are confused by what I mean by this here is a video explaining it.
    . To actually see what his ai set up looks like go to 2:15. Please don't hesitant on watching the whole video as it is very cool and if u see other features you would like to add from the video please do. Anyhow These are all the nessacry updates I feel need to be added, if there are other ideas please include them as it will never hurst to add more. Thank you and I hope to see a future update with these features.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  45. RyanEarpGW

RyanEarpGW

@Optical Illusions -

These are some great ideas, which we'll of course take into consideration for future updates. We will also be working on the suggested fixes.
    Your second point is already partially implemented, as we have released some voice packages in one of the past updates.

Thanks!
    Ryan

46. eliteslayer

eliteslayer

HI,

I just wanna say that shooter ai has been a very good package to me, but i do think new things should be added for a complete package. I completely agree with all the things optical illusions put down for new updates however i think he missed a few things that i will add which i think should also be added in near future updates. 1, for the sound voices i noticed that there are many voices missing such as there is no voice slot for when the ai has killed an enemy, like Tango Down, also there is none for when reloading, or for when there is a man down and other things. I think that should be added. Two for this package to have the title Any combat situation, i think the ai's should definitely have secondary weapons, be able to throw frags, flashes and tactical weapons. (out of the blue, killstreaks) for a better ai and make it closer to cod ai's. And lastley as optical illusions mentioned before which i strongly agree with is to have the ais be able to Rome the map freely. independently and randomly seeking for enemies that way as mentioned before its not the same 3 waypoints it walks through over and over again. Thank you and also hope to see these updates in the near future.:)

47. outtoplay

outtoplay

OK, this may be an odd question but... could Shooter AI be used in a 'non-combat' type project? I mean they could be combative if attacked, but say.. more like random npcs / villagers doing their thing, potentially I could add a dialog option to them? I love the plugin, but I'm trying to see if it has uses beyond a straight shot `em up.

thanks and terrific work!

p.s. also, do you imagine this asset working in a 2D or 2.5 D type project? So many projects are in 2D and 2.5D these days, and that would open up a huge market and field of opportunities to use AI Shooter.

48. nikita68

nikita68

Sorry for the long reply times!

@eliteslayer -
    1) Good idea. Noted down for a future update.
    2) You can actually have multiple weapons:

3) We're definitely going to add that in 1.5.3 or 1.6

Thank you for the suggestion!

@outtoplay -

1) Sure, you can create lots of engagement scripts, that have dialogue etc.. without ever going into engagement. Here is a tutorial on the engagement scripts:

2) Thats a good idea, and we basically already have support for 2d projects, as long as A* or the Navmesh is setup correctly. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

49. primus88

primus88

Hello,

I have three little quick questions:
    1. Until when is the sale available?
    2. Can I have only melee characters? For example swordsmen or archers?
    3. How exactly is the A* pathfinding work? Can i have the navmesh made also at runtime or it must be baked as with the normal unity navmesh?

Ty

50. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

I just purchased this last night, and have to say it's excellent being able to slam some highly functional AI into the prototype I've been working on. I can easily see using this past the prototype stage.

I do have a question though. I know this falls outside of the scope of what Shooter AI is, but would it be possible to allow a player to control an AI, by setting it up to do things like have the AI aim at a specifc target (gameobject tied to mouse position for example) and have it follow way points the player places on the map?

The big one would be, can you prevent the AI from making movement and attack decisions on its own, so it only aims at the cursor and moves to way points?