Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooter AI – The Ultimate Artificial Intelligence Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nikita68, Oct 8, 2013.

1. nikita68

nikita68

Thank you very much for the kind words!

Have you tried applying local position/rotation? That could be the problem.

Also you have some really nice editor tools. You could publish them on the Asset Store.

2. eridani

eridani

Ok I just opened the FPS Demo scene, and I have some problems/questions:

1. It seems like the AI models' guns are stuck in the middle of their chests, and they don't always hold the guns with their hands while shooting.

2. The AI always seem to run right up to me and then somehow shoot themselves and kill themselves. Is there a setting where they don't run toward me while shooting (in other words stand still and/or keeping a distance from me while shooting at me), and a way to make it so that only my (the player's) bullets hurt them?

3. The AI bunch up into a single group and just stand there. They completely stop patrolling after bunching up like that.

Please advise! Thank you

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  3. eridani

eridani

Oh and I'm getting a bunch of these errors. This is all still in the FPS Demo scene that comes with the package. Thanks for any help.

!CompareApproximately (SqrMagnitude (q), 1.0F)
    UnityEngine.Quaternion:Euler(Vector3)
    IKLimb:CalculateIK() (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/Animation/IKFree/Scripts/IKLimb.cs:157)
    IKLimb:LateUpdate() (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/Animation/IKFree/Scripts/IKLimb.cs:55)

transform.localRotation assign attempt for 'upperArmAxisCorrection' is not valid. Input rotation is { NaN, NaN, NaN, NaN }.
    UnityEngine.Transform:set_localRotation(Quaternion)
    IKLimb:CalculateIK() (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/Animation/IKFree/Scripts/IKLimb.cs:157)
    IKLimb:LateUpdate() (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/Animation/IKFree/Scripts/IKLimb.cs:55)

4. CharlieK

CharlieK

None of the examples or demo scenes I have tried show the weapons being held correctly. They're usually always floating in front of the character. Am I missing the demo where this is set up correctly, or is that still a work in progress getting that to work? I've tried to set it up but I haven't had any luck yet. The hands are always extremely rotated and the gun never stays in the correct position.

5. nikita68

nikita68

@eridani -
    1) Your problems with the guns seem to come from incorrect IK setup. I recommend rebuilding your AI character from the ground up. We'll look into it if you continue having problems.
    2) We've fixed that issue in the coming version, though here is a hotfix now. Replace the following code into the "AIMovementController" script at line 123
    Code (csharp):
    2. agent.Stop();
    with this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. agent.Stop(true);
    3) That behavior is actually because they've heard gun shots, and at that point a lot of them were close to that area, so they bunch up at the last spot they "think" they've heard the bullet. It depends heavily on level design as well.

@CharlieK -
    That's because there are 2 IK systems to accommodate both the Indy and Pro license. The rotations are a bit off in the free version, so you might need to adjust the rotations. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks!

6. eridani

eridani

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I don't understand what you mean by incorrect setup? This is your demo scene that you set up (the FPS demo). Many times the AI doesn't even attempt to hold the guns, with their hands down by their sides, and the gun floating in front of their chest. I included some screenshots at the bottom of this message. I assume you would have tested the demo scenes thoroughly before releasing them with the package...are they working properly on your end? FYI I am using Unity Free. Thank you.

2) The hotfix doesn't seem to work. The AI still runs at me as if wanting to melee attack me, but shooting all the while. I guess I can wait for the update for a proper fix.

3) Ok they don't always bunch up, so their behavior seems randomized (which is good).

$1.jpg
    $2.jpg
    $3.jpg
    $4.jpg
    $5.jpg

7. nikita68

nikita68

@eridani -

1) That reaaally looks like unity messed up an import. Try deleting the Shooter AI folder and reimporting the package. That behavior shouldn't happen.
    2) Maybe i forgot something else to add :)
    3) Great :)

Thanks!

8. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

Not sure if this is a bug. The head/hand animations and aim were behaving bizarrely when in engaged state. I noticed the speed variable was steadily increasing even when in a standing still position. Then I realized it was the result of adrenaline. Does adrenaline increase too fast? Not sure what the appropriate way to fix this is so I changed andrenaline += 0.011f; to andrenaline += 0.0011f; in AIStateManager.cs. The animations improved, but the root problem didn't completely go away. It still has a jerky motion while aiming the gun. I used the Fully Finished soldier into an empty scene with a simple plane for ground to get this behavior.

Feature request: I'd like the shooting to be a little random. Right now you set the rateOfFire but could we get a rateOfFireMin / rateOfFireMax with some randomness added instead. I tested it by altering ResetRateOfFire in AIWeaponSelected. Seemed much more realistic.
    private IEnumerator ResetRateOfFire()
    {
    // Maintains original rateOfFire variable incase new Min/Max are not used
    if(rateOfFireMin == 0 rateOfFireMax ==0 rateOfFire != 0) {
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(rateOfFire);
    } else {
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(Random.Range(rateOfFireMin, rateOfFireMax));
    }
    allowedToShoot = true;
    }

Possible Feature request: If I understand how aim works, it is handled by the Enemy Height Y variable. Would it be more appropriate to define a location on the Player Controller/Target, that declares it as the head. That way if the player crouches or goes prone, the AI is always aiming where it intends to shoot. You could also define arms and legs as targets. I suppose this could work like the steps to add IK positions for the hands on a gun but define target locations on the body. Maybe this would expand the Melee attack ability to different attacks. Round House kick to the head, uppercut to the stomach, leg sweep, etc.

9. nikita68

nikita68

@SpectralRook -

1) Thanks for the heads up! We started noticing the erratic behavior as well so we will probably cap the adrenaline.
    2) The jerky hand movement is because the AI has so much adrenaline, it starts to aim badly. Should i make this more smoother?
    3) Thank you very much for the code!! If you want beta access, contact me please. We will add this in one of the coming updates.
    4) That is definitely a really good idea. We need to see on how to implement this, but hopefully this should be done.

Thank you very much for your help!!!!

@EVERYBODY!!! -

Little sneak preview of the coming upcoming update:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86419401/Demos/Web FPS Demo/SAIFPSDEMO/SAIFPSDEMO.html

10. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

At the very least, I personally would rather not see the animation speed affected by adrenaline. That's not to say I wouldn't want the option of allowing adrenaline to have that effect.

Poor aim sounds like a reasonable behavior but I think if the idea is to have a visual queue that the enemy is having a harder time aiming, it should be more subtle. Fear on the other hand would likely have the effect of not being able to aim very well.

Maybe adrenaline would cause the enemy to fire more often but at the cost of not taking the time to aim properly. In that case the gun firing should cause the enemy to have to readjust their aim every time they want to shoot. With high adrenaline they likely begin the next shot before completly adjusting their aim, causing them to miss more often. The difference would be that the gun moving isn't affected by the addrenelin but rather that gun shooting. Addrenelin just affects the ability to realign with the intended target.

Regardless of the cause for the gun jerking about, it should at least be smoother and deliberate to re-aim the gun, even if the gun firing is less smooth. The more powerful the gun, the more kick it would have but they still have to take their time to aim it. Ultimately, I would like the ability to switch the behavior off completely. My enemies are really good shots under pressure. :)

11. eridani

eridani

I created a fresh project and imported your package again, and it's still exhibiting the same behavior. It's your FPS demo scene, so I assume all settings are correct. What could be causing this? Please look into it and advise. Thank you.

$6.jpg
    $7.jpg

12. nikita68

nikita68

@SprectralRock -

Those are really good ideas! We will try and implement them as soon as possible.

@eridani -

This seems really weird. The only thing that could cause such a bug is if Unity thinks its Unity Pro and supplies wrong info to the scripts.

Please run the game, and then pause. After that could you go into your AI character -> Open up the heirarchy and open the "HoldingPositions" object -> Open up the children and then open the child called "HoldingPositions" again. There is a object with a script called "IKFree Manager", could you screenshot it?

Thanks!

13. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

Hi Nikita, I was able to reproduce the problem in Unity Free. Is there something not being set correctly with lArm.target?

$Screenshot 2014-03-21 15.08.20.png

14. nikita68

nikita68

I've just been able to recreate this. I'm going to work on this tommorow.

Thanks!

15. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

All of the LeftElbowTarget's are being parented to the first AITeam1.

$Screenshot 2014-03-21 21.22.35.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  16. eridani

eridani

Thanks Nikita for looking into this. Thank you SpectralRook as well. I have attached the required screenshot. I also attached some weird behavior from the soldier character and the way he holds his rifle. I think basically this system is not working with Unity Free:

$9.jpg

$8.jpg

17. nikita68

nikita68

@SpectralRook -
    The setup seems fine. Thats the way Shooter AI automatically configures the IK. Thanks for helping though! :)

@eridani -

The soldier is holding his weapon that way because it was setup for Unity Pro (it looks fine in pro :) ), so you need to reconfigure the IK. I think the demos probably don't show the correct IK because they may have been built before the update for Unity Indie came out.
    My tips:
    - Try configuring the IK on the weapons on newly built characters
    - An update is coming in the next few days so try building a new character with that

I really tested Shooter AI with Unity Free and all features worked, which is why this seems so strange to me. I'll look into all these issues and try and fix them for the next update.

Unfortunately, i'll be on a holiday next week, so i won't be able to provide much support. Really sorry guys.

Thanks!

18. eridani

eridani

Ok thanks Nikita, I hope you can fix the issues soon. Aside from the guns floating issue, the AI behaves EXACTLY like the AI posted by Alex in his review:

https://vimeo.com/89564818

https://vimeo.com/89564819

Namely, it's not really usable in its current state. Since you replied that you've never seen such behavior, the problem is probably a combination of using Unity Free along with some machine-specific configuration. I recommend you test it on various machines with different setups. Thanks again!

19. nikita68

nikita68

@eridani -

Check out the new update. It should fix a number of issues with Shooter AI that your experiencing.

Regarding the IK problem, i've send you a PM.

Thanks!

20. Silverheadgames

Silverheadgames

I have some problems with the AI. It seems it can look throught walls. I have a Level with Meshcolliders. As Player i use UFPS. Everytime all AI is starting to run at me and shooting me. But it takes cover behind the walls. any Ideas about this?

21. nikita68

nikita68

@Silverheadgames -
    You just need to adjust the range that the AI can hear the player. To do this, go into your ai character -> open the hierarchy -> Open "Sensors" -> "SensorEars" ->
    Here you can adjust 2 values. The first one is "Hearing Distance", which is the distance from which the AI can hear the player. The second one is "Hearing Distance Target 2" which is the distance from which the AI can hear bullets.

Hope this helps!

22. dustinmckay

dustinmckay

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can't seem to get the weapon to stop just sticking out of the enemies face.... He never grabs it... This is both with the prefab as well as my own model. Also he ducks for cover all the time after his first move... any suggestions?

23. Silverheadgames

Silverheadgames

Yeah. it worked but now the AI shows a weird behaivor. When its fleeing its looking at the wall and doing nothing.

24. nikita68

nikita68

@dustinmckay-

1) If you are using Unity Free, we recently noticed this bug and we're working on it right now.
    2) If you don't want the AI to duck, click on the character, then go to "AI State Manager" -> Around half way down you will find a variable called "Allow Crouching" -> Untick it

@Silverheadgames -

This is just cover behaviour. If its too long for you or just provides weird results in your environment, go to your character -> "AIController Child" -> "Reaction Times" -> Set the "Minimum Time In Cover" and "Maximum Time In Cover" lower (or to zero if you want to turn it off).

Hope this helps!

25. nikita68

nikita68

FOR ALL UNITY FREE USERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found the error why the IK wasn't working! The fix will be available in the next update, or following the instructions below:
    In the script "IKFreeManager", replace the following in line 27:
    Code (csharp):
    1. model = transform.root.GetComponentInChildren<HandIK>().gameObject;
    with this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. model = transform.parent.parent.parent.GetComponentInChildren<HandIK>().gameObject;
    Thanks!

26. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

Confirmed. Guns are held correctly now.

Do you have any hair left or did you pull it all out while trying to find that bug. ;)

27. nikita68

nikita68

FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're making an Easter Sale and dropping our price down to $10 from this week to the week of 21.4.2014 . This will come with the next update which will contain a new CTF demo and looots of bug fixes. ;)

@SpectralRook -

It really was annoying trying to find it. I was looking in the wrong place the whole time. When i finally found the bug it took me a whole of 2 minutes to fix it :roll:

Thanks!

28. nikita68

nikita68

Sorry for double posting, though i believe this should be in a different post. Anyways:

We're looking for intermediate/advanced developers to test out a new product, namely Shooter AI Multiplayer. We're not making any promises or giving out a release date, but if you have any requests please private message me. We will be making a forum thread dedicated to SAI Multiplayer when the product is closer to a release date.

If you're interested in helping us (and getting BETA access to SAI, and SAI Multiplayer, as well as any future products), here are some things you should know before getting in:
    - Multiplayer experience (doesn't matter which API)
    - Shooter AI experience (optional)

29. WJ

WJ

I just bought this asset to use along side ufps, I dragged your zombie prefab in and it starts roaming then when it sees my player it runs a little and just stops saying its engaged! I havent been able to find anyway to stop it or make it run up to my player and attack him.

Also how on earth do you set parameters for which melee animations to play.

It's very confusing, could really do with an example using zombies.

Edit: Did some more looking still cant figure it out and theres no place to set melee animations to play, it should be as simple as setting a trigger/bool to toggle an animation etc. Instead I just see Animation on the melee weapon which makes 0 sense.

If the system does not support melee properly how can I go about getting a refund?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  30. nikita68

nikita68

@WJ -

1) Really sorry about that. When we were creating the previous update, we missed out on the zombie behavior, but the update which is coming in the next couple of days is going to fix that. There was a couple lines of code which basically prohibited the zombie from attacking the player.

2) I was planning on bringing out a new set of tutorials, and i will include that as well. You can set the melee animation parameters in the weapon's animation component. There you will see the default animations.

If anybody has anything specific that they would like to have covered, please post your ideas here!

31. WJ

WJ

Thanks for the response, but I'm afraid that really doesnt work. For 1 you are using mecanim for movement so why are you not using mecanim for the attacks as well?

I need to play a zombie animation not a legacy animation that has to be made just to move the arms, the whole zombie needs to move.

It looks like this framework just doesn't work well with melee, it works well for ranged but thats about it, melee was added on as a second thought.

Could you please let me know how I can go about getting a refund please?

thanks

32. eridani

eridani

Hi Nikita, thanks for the fast updates. The AI is behaving much better now. I do still see a few issues (will they be fixed in the upcoming update?):

1) The red shirt guys are now holding the weapon with their left hand, but their wrists and elbows are badly twisted. The rifleman soldier's hands and arms are still horribly twisted.

2) The AI will attack, take cover, run around and try to find me. It's working much better than before. However, at some point, they stop attacking completely and just stand there. I can walk right up to them and they will stand still forever. EDIT: it seems I can sometimes trigger this "standing still" behavior by walking right up to them and standing next to them. It seems to "freeze" them and they no longer do anything.

3) Sometimes an AI will shoot and then it will die, as if it has somehow shot itself and committed suicide. Also, it looks like AI can shoot each other. Is there a quick way to turn off friendly fire for enemies?

4) The ragdolls sometimes keep twitching forever after death.

Anyway, I like the progress that's being made with these fixes. I hope you will continue to address the issues that pop up. Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  33. nikita68

nikita68

@WJ -

1) We decided on using legacy animations for a number of reasons:
    a) Allows to easily modify and share animations
    b) Using IK and their handles, the user can animate reeeeallly quickly without going out of Unity
    c) Many users don't know how to use Mecanim

But i do agree with you that we should add a Mecanim option. I'll look into this. Do you have any specific idea on how to implement this?

2) Really sorry that this package wasn't as you imagined. I recommend sending an email to this: assetstore@unity3d.com asking for a refund. Unfortunately, i don't know how the process goes, as Unity handles everything.

@eridani -

1) That's a problem of Unity Free demo scene, and its just because of incorrect setup. The IK handles were setup for Unity Pro ik, which uses a different algorithm and thus requires different IK handle rotation. I'll make a tutorial soon on how to setup IK easily.

2) Wow! Thank you for pointing that out! Will be in the 1.4.2 update. If you want a hot fix, paste the follow into line 1140 in the script "AIStateManager":
    Code (csharp):
    2. //if we're too close to the enemy, run for cover
    3.         if(currentState == CurrentState.engage  distanceToEnemy < 1.5f)
    4.         {
    6.             if(debug)
    7.             {
    8.                 Debug.Log("Too close in engagement. Get to cover");
    9.             }
    11.             movement.Defreeze();
    12.             GetComponent<SearchCover>().FindCoverPostion( sight.GetComponent<Sight>().eyeLevel, false );
    13.             movement.SetNewDestination( GetComponent<SearchCover>().coverPostion );
    14.             currentState = CurrentState.cover;
    16.             StartCoroutine( ComeOutOfCover() );
    17.         }
    Please tell me if it works.

3) I've only seen this through accidental friendly fire. I'll add an option to deactivate it in 1.4.2 .

4) That's PhysX bugging out. Don't know if theres any fix to it, though i'll look into it.

We strive to always improve our products and deliver the best support we can achieve.

The 1.4.1 should come out this weekend, and the 1.4.2 sometime next week.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just uploaded 2 new tutorials:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ypV3nm15Q&feature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD84hPQP2NA&feature=youtu.be

EDIT 2:
    Another multiplayer tutorial, this time on how to convert it to use Photon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzBE4MRwvtk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  34. nikita68

nikita68

35. Caesar15

Caesar15

What's in the update?

36. nikita68

nikita68

Bug fixes, and a new Capture the Flag demo! Special thanks to Trevor Blize.

EDIT:

Heads up for everybody: I'm going on holiday for a week so all support will unfortunately take a while to process.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  37. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Your Demos don't work. Could you fix that so I can check these out.

38. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

your link to the manual doesnt work. also is the ufps demo included? if not how do i get it?

39. WillowWake

WillowWake

Has there been some kind of update? Getting lots of errors today, even on unmodified demo scene, and weird hand/weapon placement, e.g.:

transform.localRotation assign attempt for 'upperArmAxisCorrection' is not valid. Input rotation is {Nan, NaN, NaN }. UnityEngine.Transform:set_localRotation (Quaternion)

40. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

While the CTF demo is neat, the guys just end up huddling in the center of the map. In the beginning they have a purpose to grab the top red square, but then they don't really do much. You would think they would take the red square back to their home base or something, but no the one with the Flag tends to lead the charge directly into the enemies. Odd behaviour.

41. radiantboy

radiantboy

Apologies if this has been asked, but how do I speed up the patrolling of a character? if I adjust patrol reference speed the guy starts to sprint, but I want him to walk. I think my world is very out of scale so its huge, but what I want to do in Shooter ai is just adjust the distance he covers when he is patrolling without him breaking into a run, any ideas?

Also, right now im making a guy who works in a coffeeshop, how do I make it so he can appear to be serving people or something, is there a way to swap to a set animation then swap back and resume the logic?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  42. nikita68

nikita68

@99thmonkey -
    1) Sorry about the links. I currently don't have access to my servers so I'll fix that next week.
    2) An fps Demo is included where you can just replace the FPS character with the ufps one and it works out of the box (same goes for realistic fps prefab)
    3) I've just noticed that in the last release. It didn't happen before. I'll rebuilt the scene and post new demos.

@willowwake - yep. Sorry about the errors, try rebuilding the characters.

@radiantboy -
    1) You can manipulate the animation speed by going into mecanim and setting the Max speeds higher. I'll add an option to do this easily from within the editor for the next update.
    2) I think the best way to tackle that problem would be to have 2 prefabs of the coffee boy that turns into a Shooter AI character when it should engage. Then once the fight is over the old character is spawned and the Shooter ai destroyed.

Thanks!

43. nertworks

nertworks

"Stop" can only be called on an active agent that has been placed on a NavMesh.

The agent is on the NavMesh. Please advise.

44. nikita68

nikita68

@nertworks -

Sorry for the long reply time. Are you using A*? If so, try updating your version, as we fixed this bug in the latest update.

Thanks!

45. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

@nikita68 In the CTF demo, are they all supposed to capture the flag in the middle and take it back to their base? They just end up hanging out in the middle. What's the objective for the demo?

46. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Please make a video how to set it up for UFPS

47. nertworks

nertworks

I did the update. No such luck. Is there anything else I can try? also my player isn't in the scene when the ai first spawns. Is that causing an issue?

48. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

I was seeing the same, but going almost sure to buy it, because of the low price.
    +But: I really want an update, or else it's waste of our company's money.

49. whatisanunderscore

whatisanunderscore

this is a nasty piece of work virus that destroyed my unity

50. SDD707

SDD707

Maybe going a bit more detail may help someone identify the problem