Search Unity

Shooter AI – The Ultimate Artificial Intelligence Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nikita68, Oct 8, 2013.

1. nikita68

nikita68

@Pauloxande - Thats good. The issue is is addressed in the upcoming update.

2. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

Okay so you guys are doing some upgrades!
    thanks

3. Caesar15

Caesar15

I have a question, the game I am trying to make involves zombies. For some of the bigger maps there will be quite a number. Now while I am testing my game I realized that it started lagging after 10 or so AI. The problem is I am going to have a bit more than 10 Ai on some of my maps. Is there anyway I can create a smooth environment with 10+ zombie AI's?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. Daniel DBA

Daniel DBA

@Nikita68

Can't get the zombie prefab to attack the !!!Realistic FPS Prefab. The zombie will move to it but not attack.

5. nikita68

nikita68

@Pauloxande - Yep. Expect an update in the end of this week/beginning of next week

@Caesar15 -
    1) There will be bullet audio in the next update, and i'm planning on releasing a footstep manager in the update after that.
    2) We've successfully tested >50 AI fighting simultaneously with stable 60 FPS. Mostly the main problem is Unity and meshes, especially how detailed the mesh is. We recommend using low-poly meshes for large amount of AIs, though we are working on a LOD system for the future. Also, you can increase performance by going to your AI character -> "AIController Child" -> "Optimisation" -> Set "Patrol: Extra Checks" to something like 1 or 2.

@Daniel DBA - Yeah that bug was present in a lot of non-UFPS controllers, and is fixed in the coming update. :)

Thanks!

6. Caesar15

Caesar15

Well the zombie prefab isn't exactly low poly, but that's fine. Also, when you said you would add an FPS demo, you're also including the UFPS demo that's on the OP? Thanks for the support. Can't wait till next update.

7. nikita68

nikita68

@Caesar15 - Yeah the included zombie prefab isn't low poly. The FPS demo will use an FPS controller made by me, but you can easily replace it by drag and dropping the UFPS prefab into the scene.

8. Mementos

Mementos

Im using unity free, everythings works fine when importing into a windows/linux project, tho, when creating a ios/android project, i keep getting this error:
    "Assets/Standard Assets/ShooterAIUnityScripts/ik/IKControl.js(43,200): BCE0019: 'target' is not a member of 'UnityEngine.Component'. "

Edit: im using unity 4.3.4f1

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  9. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Cool plugin, I am testing it out with UFPS and have noticed a few things that might be good to add to the manual for the UFPS section (which is a bit sparse :)

1) UFPS bullets seem to work fine to hit Shooter AI characters. But when I followed the instructions and replaced the UFPS bullet that is in the Projectile space in Vp_FPWeapon Shooter with the Bullet1 prefab that comes with ShooterAI then the bullets would hit me as soon as I fired them. So there needs to be some clarification on what to do to make Bullet1 work with UFPS or just don't use it :) For UFPS bullets to work with Shooter AI weapons (AI shooting at the player) the UFPS bullets apparently need a Rigidbody attached, so I just added a kinematic rigidbody and they work fine to hit the player.

2) Dragging in the ZombiePrefab from the Prefabs/Fully Finished Character/Zombie folder into a UFPS scene (with navigation) doesn't work as this error occurs:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AIStateManager.SelfPreservation () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:984)

3) Copying one of the generic humanoid characters from the demoscene into a UFPS scene works fine.

Anyways, great job and I look forward to seeing how this plugin grows with future updates.

10. Caesar15

Caesar15

Well, 2 is going to be a big problem for me..

11. Caesar15

Caesar15

Quick question, you say that you could run 50 AI and lower at a stable 60 FPS, but when you say this, do you mean you can run 50 AI at 60 FPS on a small, box map, or 50 AI at 60 FPS on a giant, Unity Terrain size map, filled with trees, plants, buildings, and other details?

EDIT: I am also getting this error message:

RagdollHelper.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Animations/RagdollBack/Scripts/RagdollHelper.cs:150)

I am also getting this error:

AIStateManager.SelfPreservation () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:984)
    AIStateManager.Update () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/ManagingScripts/AIStateManager.cs:490)

The first error is coming from an imported model, and the second error is coming from the Zombie prefab.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  12. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

To get rid of this error, add a Ragdoll Helper script to the "Model" child object of the zombie (I just copied that component from one of the AITeam guys setup in the DemoScene. Set the "state" to animated and "ragdoll to mecanim" to 0.5.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but looks like you have to change the "Bone Parent" property of Ragdoll Transitions (on the Model child object) to "mixamorig:Hips" which I think is the bone parent for the model.

13. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

What would be the best way to add impact damage to the AI characters? ie: if they get hit with a car. I guess their nav agent would probably have to be deactivated at that point?

14. Daniel DBA

Daniel DBA

Same here. I deleted the IK folder in Standard Assets and commented all the code. That's NOT a valid fix but it allowed me to work on the project. My build was Windows Phone. So maybe all mobile projects have a problem with the IK code?

15. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

@nikita68: Hi Ive managed to get my basic enemy set up in AI shooter, but he only seems to run around and occasionally run towards the player, a lot of his beahviour is also very erratic and random, how can I set it that he just constantly keeps moving towards the player trying to attack him?

Also how can I program in my custom animation transitions and have the enemy switch to the correct animations under the appropriate circumstances?

My enemy is basically a creepy floating spine/skull (no arms or legs) so his only attacks is jumping up and stabbing you with his tail(bottom of spine) or biting you, how can I set up these attacks to do damage to the player even though the enemy isnt holding any weapons?

Finally, is there a way to add more than one type of bullet tag for the enemy to be sensitive to and also a way to change the damage dealt to the enemy based on what bullet/tag hits the enemy and not based on what part of the body the enemy is hit on (we have multiple different weapons each one doing a different amount of damage to each different enemy type)?

Sorry again for all the questions but the package seems to be set up for a very specific type of shooter and the manual and tutorials covers only typical shooter scenarios. I think it would ultimately be best if you could have a script where you can just drag in your animations for specific events (and maybe link them with the variables you have set up in Mecanim) as well as the ability to add multiple bullet tags to an enemy and inserting the damage that particular tag does to this particular enemy/tag.

16. Caesar15

Caesar15

Wow thanks man, I went from 999+ issues to 0.

17. nikita68

nikita68

@Mementos - Yep, just fixed that in the coming update.

@capitalJMedia -
    1) Yep, i need to take that out the manual :D
    2) Yeah, i also fixed that.
    3) Thats good.
    4) There is a ragdoll manager on the model. There is a function on it that cotnrols everything. I will provide more info on it soon.

Thanks for the heads up! And also thank you for the hotfix help!

@Caesar15 -
    1) I recommend using your own model (or mixamo) and making an AI character from the ground up. The prefab is best for quick prototyping.
    2) The main problem is Unity. If you can get low-poly models, you can make HUGE scenes.
    3) The issue is fixed in the coming update.

@XMachinaX -
    1) This is a bug when using non-UFPS controllers, because the AI was looking a bit too high.
    2) You could use Mecanim and add a custom script that controls the animations to do what you want.
    3) You need to use weapons, just make them invisible (just provide an empty gameobject without a model), and then setup the damage control on it.
    4) Right now you can only have one bullet tag (though i'll see if i can make more), but if you use the Shooter AI provided bulelt scripts, you can add custom damage on the bullets, and disable the option to have region based hit points.

No problem about the questions. Yeah, i definitely will update some manuals and make new tutorials. Any specific requests?

18. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

@nikita68: 1) The thing is I am using UFPS and their advanced player controller.
    2) Thanks, I will porobably just use Playmaker to connect these up.
    3) Thanks for the advice, this makes a lot more sense now.
    4) This might pose a very big problem for me and honestly is a very necessary feature in order to make Shooter AI more modular and diverse. Does this mean each bullet's bullet script is different or do they share the same script as this would make it impossible for me to use the bullet script without it conflicting with other bullet types and damages. Also how would I change this damage value for specific melee attacks which dont use the bullet script?

Thanks for the reply and the help, the only thing that is still pretty much a problem are the bullet tags/damage amounts, for the other stuff I should be able to manage using Playmaker. Some Playmaker custom actions for Shooter AI would also be an amazing update for the people who dont know a lot about scripting.

19. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

Oh yes and lastly, I cant seem to get my enemy to patrol when he hasnt seen the player yet, only once the player has been spotted the enemy starts moving, is there someting that I might have missed with the patrol route setup?

20. nikita68

nikita68

@XMachinaX -
    1) In any case that bug is fixed.
    4) I just wanted to show that there is a finished prefab if you need it. It is really easy to make custom damage:
    Just add a script and on collision send a message to the colliding object called "Damage" and provide a damage value. If you need to i'll provide a finished script.
    5) Try positioning the first way points a bit further apart.

Thanks!

21. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Cool, thank you for the answers.

I didn't see a ragdoll manager script so I'll wait for your info before trying that out.

Also, in UFPS there is a melee attack script and a Mace weapon example. How would that be used to interact with shooter AI characters?

22. Caesar15

Caesar15

Alrighty, thanks. Will report results later.

Are you having the same problem, with melee weapons not doing damage?

23. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey nikita68. Is there a way to have multiple enemy tags on on ai character? Like if I wanted the shooter to shoot at me and the zombie. Both having different tags of course.

Thanks

24. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

@nikita68: Again a huge thanks for all the help. I forgot to ask, is there any way that I can modify the scripts of just a certain enemy type or instance of an enemy without changing the script prefabs. The thing is we have multiple different enemy types and some cant use most of the features but others will be humanoid and will be using most of the features and I dont want the scripts to either cause troubles on the simpler enemies or conflictions with the more humanoid like enemies.

25. nikita68

nikita68

HEADS UP: Shooter AI is going to drop its price to $30 in the next couple of days.

TO MAKE UFPS MELEE WEAPONS WORK:
    Paste this at line 184 of the script vp_FPWeaponMeleeAttack
    Code (csharp):
    2. //see if there are any detect hits NOT PART OF STANDARD UFPS
    3.     Collider[] hitColliders = Physics.OverlapSphere( transform.position, DamageRange);
    5.     foreach(Collider col in hitColliders)
    6.     {
    7.      if(col.GetComponent<Detecthit>() != null)
    8.      {
    9.       col.GetComponent<Detecthit>().Damage( Damage );
    10.      }
    12.     }
    @capitalJMedia -
    1) Sorry, its the "Health Manager" script on the "Health Manager" gamobject. There is a function called "Falldown" that makes the ai fall down for either a random amount of time, or a specified amount of seconds.
    2) Posted the script :)

@Baldinoboy -
    You can make the AI follow multiple teams. Its stated in the manual on how to add this function (page 26), better than how i can explain here :)

@XMachinaX -
    No probs :)
    Sorry, its impossible due to how Unity is built up :( I can help if you need something specific.

Thanks!

26. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Thanks! I was actually able to get impact hits (from vehicles) to work just by changing the vehicle's tag to "bullet" and making sure that it has a collider/rigidbody on it. Then the AI characters took damage and were thrown around :) One question I have about this, is it possible to add multiple "bullet" tags so that my vehicle doesn't need to be tagged "bullet"? ie: in the DetectHitManager it only accepts one bullet tag. I think that would help keep the scripts flexible if in general those kinds of things used arrays/lists instead of just one variable.

halcyonideals likes this.
  27. Caesar15

Caesar15

I am getting 30 FPS with 10, low poly AI. Are they not low poly enough? Does the environment have to have low poly buildings too? Is there any other way I can optimize this? Sorry, it's just I am looking for more than 10 AI per scene.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  28. nikita68

nikita68

@capitalJMedia - Thats a good idea. I will probably try and implement it.

@Caesar15 - On what type of setup are you testing? How is your scene built up? How many FPS do yuo get without AI?

29. Caesar15

Caesar15

I am using the Unity Terrain features. The map has plenty if trees, buildings, farms with fences and crops, and ground textures. I'll be able to show pictures later. I also get 60-70 FPS without AI.

Awesome, you're online now.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  30. nikita68

nikita68

@Caesar15 -

If you want we can continue over skype for better support. PM if your interested.

31. Caesar15

Caesar15

Alright then, message sent. Thanks.

32. lfdl2401Studios

lfdl2401Studios

@nikita68! AI looks great I just have a few questions:
    1. How fast/easy would it be to implement an AI where it spawns and chooses, as long as it’s not occupied, any point of a set of predefined points and then travels to it to attack from there without using a predefined path?
    2. Also what about dynamic environments?
    3. Can the AI Navigate it’s way to the target points in a procedurally created level?
    4. Are you still interested in partnering with developers? We have a game that we are currently developing which could benefit from Shooter AI.

33. nikita68

nikita68

@lfdl2401Studios
    1) Really easy. Just maybe 1 script to tell where the way point is.
    2) You can use A* out of the box with it (ships with Shooter AI) so you can have dynamic environments.
    3) Yep.
    4) Yes, all the way. We gladly support developers with promising projects.

34. nikita68

nikita68

NEW UPDATE OUT! PLEASE DELETE THE SHOOTER AI FOLDER BEFORE IMPORTING, AND REBUILD ALL SCENES!!

Features:
    - New built in FPS demo
    - Sound added by default to bullets
    - Added option to allow to disable crouching
    - A lot of bug fixes:
    - Mobile spurting random errors
    - Null-reference errors in demo scenes

35. hannm

hannm

hey i am using that Realstic FPS kit, i drag an drop the zombie prefab yoh have in the AI kit, and it stands there and doesnt attack me?? my hero is tagged as Player, but no matter what i do the AI wont follow or attck it just stands there in idle.....any advice??

36. RobEls

RobEls

I'm interested in buying this but after having played the two web demo's I've come across a few issues which are putting me off buying.

I don't want to buy it only to discover it's going to be too much effort to change these behaviors, so I figured I'd ask here about how easy it is to 'fix' these because I can't trial it for myself.

* The A.I. seems to charge you head on in suicide rush.

* The A.I. also seems to have perfect aim on all angles but if you walk in a slow circular movement it'll never aim ahead or hit you.

* If its target gets close it'll spin around, if it's two A.I. they'll dance around each other without trying to break out of it.

* Ramps, they refuse to shoot on a ramp and will either get killed while walking down or wait to get to the bottom to shoot the enemy.

These can lead to situations where if two A.I. are on a ramp they'll dance around each other and if they manage to break off long enough they won't shoot because they're still on a ramp, so you can end up with a dance party on ramps with multiple A.I.

37. unitywlp

unitywlp

HI

i am want to make game like commando d day on mobile with the shooter ai kit can some one tell me is there any compatibility issues pls let me know

38. unitywlp

unitywlp

39. nikita68

nikita68

@hanm -
    Try building a zombie with the updated version. A completely new Zombie prefab is coming in the next week or so. The updated Shooter AI version already fixes the bugs you reported.

@RobEls -
    All of the behaviors you noted are fixed in the coming update. I don't recommend getting Shooter AI before then, if the new behavior is vital for your project.

@Unitywlp -
    You might need to do some optimization on your models and set the Shooter AI quality a bit lower, but it depends the amount of AI you're planning to have.

40. eridani

eridani

Is there (or will there be) any sort of headshot detection?

Cause everybody knows zombies only go down if you shoot them in the head ;)

41. BangPoulsen

BangPoulsen

Are there any guides on how to use Shooter AI with a model who's already got a gun attached?

42. sluice

sluice

Should the zombie prefab be a drag and drop (work out of the box) thing?

After dragging it into my scene, I get this error:

"CalculatePolygonPath" can only be called on an active agent that has been placed on a NavMesh.
    UnityEngine.NavMeshAgent:CalculatePath(Vector3, NavMeshPath)

What am I missing here? Thanks!

EDIT: I had forgotten to Bake my Nav Mesh.. n00b mistake.

All working now. Having a blast with this asset!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  43. SDD707

SDD707

Not the author of the system but try using an empty game object as the weapon, (look at the zombie prefab) which should work, you could also look at editing the model in a 3d program such as 3ds max

44. hannm

hannm

its a good kit, but im having issue, i drop the zombie into a stage an use that fps demo or even the fps im using an some reason the zombie runs an it gets stuck inside my guy an i cnt move or when he hits i go flying in the air or he doesnt hurt me, and then he sits down an starts glitching his arms all over the place..............an the shooter prefab guy shoots up an cricles n then dies.... any ideas?

45. radiantboy

radiantboy

Really enjoying Shooter AI. The new update is awesome. Now Im playing with it a bit more advanced, but what Im trying to do is hard to explain :).

Im trying to swap out the model for another one at runtime, for example I want my ragdoll guy to swap to a "shattered" version of himself when I shoot him. Is this feasible? It seems when you try to swap the model it somehow doesnt adopt the "animation" of the previous model (ie my new swapped in one is in a tpose and glides around on the floor). Also given that my shattered version requires each piece to be a rigidbody etc, is there a way to actually make the parts individually fall, Im assuming I can simply turn off the whole AI system once they die and leave in place my shattered model in the correct pose (this is why i want to swap the model so the shattered one gets the same animation frame etc)... this hopefully would make a mega cool death! Only problem is shattering the fbx before hand but that can be done using Thrausi and Cinema4D (I will do a tutorial eventually if I get this working :)).

Ps, I cant remember if I posted this or not, but I meant to ask about using LODs with this system too, I think its the same issue maybe.

46. nikita68

nikita68

@eridani - There is a headshot detection :) You can also add as many shot detection regions as you want with custom rections to it (falling down, dying, passing out...)

@BangPoulsen - Unfortunately, you need to separate the models or else the physics won't work correctly.

@Sluice - Great to hear its working :)

@SDD707 - Thanks for helping!

@hannm - Yeah i fixed that behaviour in the coming update.

@radiantboy -
    1) You should be able to interchange the model in runtime. If not, i recommend doing it as you said, when the AI dies. A possible manual workaround to make the 2 models appear in the same frame would be to loop through all the bone objects of the first model, and then set their local position/rotation to the second model. Sorry, a bit hard to explain :D
    2) Sorry, i've been lagging behind my schedule due to a looooot of school work. I'm planning on making an LOD manager soon.

Thanks!

47. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks for the tips man - I will try that and keep working on it and let you guys know once I have something working. As for the LOD manager, Im not worried about it if I know it will arrive eventually :) I can work on other parts until then, it really would make this a lovely asset to have, and its an essential really for most games. But make sure your school work comes first, blew some of my qualifications by coding and not studying as hard hehe. I presume you're doign some sort of Computer Science degree?

Keep up the awesome work, also have you noticed suddenly there are many AI packs cropping up, it's such a wonderful time to be looking for AI packages!..
    Gaz.

48. radiantboy

radiantboy

started getting this error, why is it ? We need to specify an animation manager now ?

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable animationManager of 'AIMovementController' has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the animationManager variable of the AIMovementController script in the inspector.
    UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponent[HandIK] () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/UnityEngineGameObject.cs:28)
    AIWeaponController.Update () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Scripts/AI/Actions/WeaponsSystem/AIWeaponController.cs:106)

RagdollHelper.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Shooter AI/Animations/RagdollBack/Scripts/RagdollHelper.cs:150)

49. nikita68

nikita68

@radiantboy -
    That error occurred in previous versions, or if the script "RagdollTransitions" doesn't exist. Try updating shooter ai and/or rebuilding your AI character. Worst case scenario, replace line 150 of the script RagdollHelper with this:

Code (csharp):
    1. if(GetComponent<RagdollTransitions>() != null  GetComponent<RagdollTransitions>().useAutoRootObject == true)

I'm actually in high school right now :)

50. radiantboy

radiantboy

Thanks very much for the fix!.. Highschool! Very impressive indeed, im 33 and been writing games my whole life (even worked on GTA) and this is better than my own AI solutions - so you should be very proud :) Anyway, I tried the thing we were talking about with scanning through the bones and copying the positions/rotation to a new one, which produced a very weird effect not what expected, if you have any ideas let me know :)

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnV8bhIgtTk&feature=youtu.be