Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ShoeBox: 2d gamedev tools

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by renderhjs, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jj-steele

jj-steele

Just tried packing a few textures and got a strange result - exporting to Unity UIToolkit. See attached

Attached Files:

2. renderhjs

renderhjs

I'll investigate that, but I know that it is related to the force square setting. UiToolkit has this flaw that it doesn't support non square textures even though they are in power of 2.
    So yeah hopefully I have that bug out of the way soon.

3. trooper

trooper

Hi renderhjs,

I'm getting some incorrect font spacings in 2.2.5, here's the file I'm using $FNT_Quadrangle-Regularwhite18.png

It comes out looking like this:

$Screen Shot 2012-11-16 at 5.12.33 PM.png

4. renderhjs

renderhjs

That's an easy fix:
    just open the settings (right click on the tool) and change these
    • txtAutoSpaceValues = false
    • txtKerning = 0
    By default the tool will try to assume the auto spacing or kerning values, disable the variable so you can use your custom kerning (character spacing) for all characters.

For example with a kerning of 0 I get this with your font:

Which is probably more what you want with this font.

5. trooper

trooper

Cool beans, thanks mate.

6. KEMBL

KEMBL

Hi, renderhjs!

You make realy good tool, one small request, to transform it to really great level :) :)

Today I was try to write texts, exported with your tool, just see in attachment what happens!

The text was "Nissan-Composit", as you can see on second image, all letters was aligned by top. This because you very precise cut each symbol, so vertical alignment in text was lost, and needs to store it in some other place for each symbol. This additional alignment information already stored in font files and not bad if we make little big image asset, but little simple code for text write tool.

Can you add option, to cut letters with height just as that top and down boundary which bounds all symbols on image which your tool parse?

To illustrate this idea, I was make and attach another image, where you can see the top and bottom bounds marked with blue lines, letter bounds marked with red lines, and they preferred intersection area marked with green rects.

As workaround for this problem some one may place 1% opacity rect behind all characters in set with height that needs. Actually I mark this rects area with green color on example image. After this Shoe will parse image with perfect results.

P.S. Wide alignment (kerning) is not so big problem (see to Nissan-Composit example).

P.P.S One more little thing: Shoe replace char @id 34 with Unicode Id 8221 and @id 39 with Unicode Id 8217, this may be wrong :) And Tab symbol (@id 9) not exist!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. renderhjs

renderhjs

Maybe I will add the fixed vertical slices as an option in the next update. As for the tab symbol missing, I might add that as well next time setting it to something equal to 8x spaces or so. I added a bug for that now myself on uservoice: http://shoebox.uservoice.com/
    If you could log future bugs or requests there that would be lovely because I can track them in a nice bucket, but I am happy to discuss them here on the forum :)

After a long break, finally a new public release
    ShoeBox 3.0.0
    Website

If you quit your current ShoeBox it should auto update your existing one. Alternatively you can download it here ShoeBox 3.0.0

We at Soap creative have been using it recently on GangsterSquad a heavy sprite powered 2d game. There is a behind the scenes page here http://labs.soapcreative.com/GangsterSquad/

The new sprite pivot tool for example was created for the project so we could set custom pivot points for every sprite or sprite sets.

A few other feature were also used for this game like symmetry sprite packing but they are not yet available in the public release as they are not very user friendly to use.

A new uservoice page will take care of all the feedback and suggestions. So people can submit bugs to me that I can queue and sort, same with feedback and new ideas.
    If you have some ideas add them here
    http://shoebox.uservoice.com/

I will add soon some new YouTube videos on how to use some of the new features as well as update the website to reflect some of the changes in this release.

8. trooper

trooper

Your link in the forum post for 3.0.0 is wrong :)

9. renderhjs

renderhjs

10. renderhjs

renderhjs

I made some progress with my automatic slice-9 (or any slice setup for that matter) detection and realtime resize preview

I am using it right now for some website CSS stuff, in the UI there is also a code output (CSS, xml, engine XYZ,.. ) which I use to copy and paste CSS attributes. The slices themselves are generated as well with the same tool and packed to a minimal size.

11. trooper

trooper

Looking good, gonna get onto testing that soon.

12. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

For whatever reason, I can't seem to get your tool to layout the font and occupy more of the 512 X 512. If I make the font bigger in Photoshop, your tool ignores some of the letters in the set although there is plenty of space in the 512 X 512.

So what am I missing here?

Also is there an option to generate bitmaps that are larger than 512 X 512?

Attached Files:

13. renderhjs

renderhjs

Your attached image seems to be a 1x1 pixel gif. Would you mind sending me a example PNG of the 512x512 image you talked about and the sequence of characters you expect it to parse?

14. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Sent an email using your bug report on your website. Just in case something goes wrong with that message / email.

The character set was the default one + the following 4 characters. []{}

Here is the .png generated by your tool.

Attached Files:

15. renderhjs

renderhjs

Just a copy of my reply:

Ah sorry, but what I need from you is a different kind of image, something where all characters are in one line. Just in case, are you sure you followed the instructions as described here?

There is also an video showing the whole process
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Arzk8h4lc1I

here is a sample image of what shoeBox expects (screengrab from photoshop)

16. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

That is basically what the image looked like in photoshop. 8000 X 256 png.

My other question was related to the size of the bitmap ... is it possible to get something bigger than 512 X 512?

P.S. Image sent via email.

17. renderhjs

renderhjs

Ah sorry for misreading your question then,
    Obviously it will try to pack the most compact size with the given restrictions. The restriction I assume you kept in the settings is the texPowerOfTwo setting. So in your case you reached 512 x 512 because a attempt of 256 x 256 failed (which is the next size below).
    In the settings (right click on the tool) just uncheck texPowerOfTwo, like here:

This should be fine because most frameworks pack the font as part of the bigger texture atlas so that the font texture itself doesn't need to be in powers of 2. This is what I do with UiToolkit or NGui.

18. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

The 512 X 512 was more directed at what if i want a larger font texture 1024 X 1024?

In terms of the 512 X 512 packing ... When I increased the size of the font in Photoshop to try to use up all of the 512 X 512, then the tool didn't render / layout all the characters. It did most of them and then omitted like 4 of them. The top row was all blue with the last 4 red for instance.

19. renderhjs

renderhjs

@Stephan B
    Could you send me one of those bigger e.g. targeting 1024^2 design png's? so I can test it myself if it reads all the characters and if so in the right sequence? That way I can try to reconstruct what you are describing, because it didn't happen to me so far - but then again the design files that I used on the tool were usually below 5000 or 6000 wide.

20. renderhjs

renderhjs

I updated the website today and uploaded a couple of new introduction videos for 2 new tools.

Several sub pages have been updated to cover the latest settings and variables that have been added in the new release. In particular I have 2 new pages covering new tools:

Screenshot of the website

And 3 new YouTube videos

• Advanced technique: Extracting sprites over sequences and restore their relative positions
    • Sprite Pivots tool
    • Slice9 tool:

I will push out another update pretty soon that covers some improvements and additions for the bitmap font tool, like importing any UTF-8 text files to generate character sets and settings or tab character support.

21. trooper

trooper

Is there a way to pass a bunch of sprites to shoebox and get an output out of how much space would be saved using slice 9?

I kind of need to figure out if the sprite needs to be slice 9'd before I atlas it.

All good, ignore this, I'll have the designer keyword the layer. :

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  22. renderhjs

renderhjs

You can always drag it on the tool to just see if it detected any loops

23. trooper

trooper

It's ok, I stupidly asking for a feature that would take you tons of time and it can be fixed in the workflow instead :)

Our tool takes a PSD and converts it to a modified version of UIToolkit using shoebox and a few other tools, it's a 1 button press tool so I need to either automatically decide which sprites get slice 9'd or have the designer flag them.

24. renderhjs

renderhjs

I added a more detailed manual page:
    http://renderhjs.net/shoebox/manual.htm

with:
    • Help and assistent systems
    • All shortcuts and mouse controls
    • Settings and config files explained
    • Commandline CMD

Also somewhat related, at work some of my coworkers have been working on this rather complex avatar builder in HTML5. We used ShoeBox and some new updates to generate the massive sprite sheets with CSS-sprite data. All in all I believe they ended up with over 1500 individual sprites all grabbed with the Extract Sprites tool from a frame sequence that flash exported. Here is a zoom out version of all 6 sprite sheets next to each other:

25. trooper

trooper

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  26. trooper

trooper

Can you add some padding or minimum allowed area for the slice 9 sprites?

I get some bad bleeding when I stretch the image too far.

27. renderhjs

renderhjs

Working at the moment on a automated optical kerning solution that will build a kerning pair table based purely on the shapes of each bitmap letter.

The first step is already done which was detecting with rays certain line heights (shown in red). This will be an advantage when it comes to non western languages as there are not many tools out there for this that support non western characters. Another advantage is that it is completely bitmap based, not taking away the freedom of creating the font which ever way you want.

I found some typical kerning pairs on the internet that I am then looping against and compare for each pair their ideal offset in kerning.

A' AC AG AO AQ AT AU AV AW AY BA BE BL BP BR BU BV BW BY CA CO CR DA DD DE DI DL DM DN DO DP DR DU DV DW DY EC EO FA FC FG FO F. F, GE GO GR GU HO IC IG IO JA JO KO L' LC LT LV LW LY LG LO LU M MG MO NC NG NO OA OB OD OE OF OH OI OK OL OM ON OP OR OT OU OV OW OX OY PA PE PL PO PP PU PY P. P, P; P: QU RC RG RY RT RU RV RW RY SI SM ST SU TA TC TO UA UC UG UO US VA VC VG VO VS WA WC WG WO YA YC YO YS ZO Ac Ad Ae Ag Ao Ap Aq At Au Av Aw Ay Bb Bi Bk Bl Br Bu By B. B, Ca Cr C. C, Da D. D, Eu Ev Fa Fe Fi Fo Fr Ft Fu Fy F. F, F; F: Gu He Ho Hu Hy Ic Id Iq Io It Ja Je Jo Ju J. J, Ke Ko Ku Lu Ly Ma Mc Md Me Mo Nu Na Ne Ni No Nu N. N, Oa Ob Oh Ok Ol O. O, Pa Pe Po Rd Re Ro Rt Ru Si Sp Su S. S, Ta Tc Te Ti To Tr Ts Tu Tw Ty T. T, T; T: Ua Ug Um Un Up Us U. U, Va Ve Vi Vo Vr Vu V. V, V; V: Wd Wi Wm Wr Wt Wu Wy W. W, W; W: Xa Xe Xo Xu Xy Yd Ye Yi Yp Yu Yv Y. Y, Y; Y: ac ad ae ag ap af at au av aw ay ap bl br bu by b. b, ca ch ck da dc de dg do dt du dv dw dy d. d, ea ei el em en ep er et eu ev ew ey e. e, fa fe ff fi fl fo f. f, ga ge gh gl go gg g. g, hc hd he hg ho hp ht hu hv hw hy ic id ie ig io ip it iu iv ja je jo ju j. j, ka kc kd ke kg ko la lc ld le lf lg lo lp lq lu lv lw ly ma mc md me mg mn mo mp mt mu mv my nc nd ne ng no np nt nu nv nw ny ob of oh oj ok ol om on op or ou ov ow ox oy o. o, pa ph pi pl pp pu p. p, qu t. ra rd re rg rk rl rm rn ro rq rr rt rv ry r. r, sh st su s. s, td ta te to t. t, ua uc ud ue ug uo up uq ut uv uw uy va vb vc vd ve vg vo vv vy v. v, wa wx wd we wg wh wo w. w, xa xe xo y. y, ya yc yd ye yo

28. trooper

trooper

simply awesome.

29. trooper

trooper

I can't seem to slice-9 the large sprite but if I shrink it (also attached), it slices perfectly.

Attached Files:

30. toto2003

toto2003

wow i just discover this, that look just fabulously awesome, thanks for this

31. NeonMusashi

NeonMusashi

Thank you so much renderhjs, not only are the tools themselves awesome, put having them in an integrated suite is wonderful!

I was wondering if you considered adding reading the kerning information from a font file, or adding a manual kerning pair tool?
    Thank you for your time!

32. Acumen

Acumen

Hey would this happen to work with 2dtoolkit ?
    We are about to use this for our next project and especially the bitmap font tool is what we are interested in :)

33. trooper

trooper

Bitmap fonts are fairly standard, it should work with all the UI solutions that support bitmap fonts.

34. renderhjs

renderhjs

I just released ShoeBox version 3.2.0

download available at:
    http://renderhjs.net/shoebox

Version 3.2.0 has the kerning implemented. I am actually quite proud of how this now works with its all automated optical kerning with quite nice results.

In the settings panel you can define whether you want to build the kerning pairs. I have about 500+ kerning pairs added as a default which I got from a typography website. If 2 characters don't seem to kern at all in your preview window you can add them in this list seperated by a space character.
    The 3rd variable is the kerning rays value which determines how many rays should be cast for each bitmap character. This screenshot shows the green rays hitting the bitmap silhouette.

By averaging each side's rays lengths into a volume unit I can then determine the optical kerning as in volume that fits between character pairs.

For each of those kerning pairs it will determine a kerning offset on top of the regular kerning distance. It will store this information in the *.fnt format like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. kernings count=760
    2. kerning first=62  second=62  amount=-1  
    3. kerning first=61  second=62  amount=-1  
    4. kerning first=247 second=62  amount=-1  
    5. kerning first=165 second=247 amount=-2  
    6. kerning first=165 second=188 amount=-1
    But of course this can be fully customized. I will update the documentation page soon with all the added dynamic variables for the output syntax.

For very big bitmap font input bitmaps I rewrote the whole bitmap font parsing part so that it supports multiple rows should you input bitmaps that exceed 8191 in width or height.

This makes sense if your characters have a rather HD resolution or you have a lot of characters like eastern languages.

Another new feature that was added to the sprite packer is the pixel extruding feature.

It lets you extrude border pixels of sprites so that when you render them in hardware acceleration or with texture filtering bordering pixels are preserved at all costs even when the UV coordinates shift.

Lastly a little trick that I have been sharing with some people lately: If you want to force some pixels to connect as one blob or pixel character e.g. in the Bitmap font tool or sprite extractor tool do this:

Add a outline filter in PS to your sprite that you want to merge with its close surrounded pixel islands, make sure that the thickness connects the islands you want to be connected and then change its opacity to 1%. This will trick your eye as you will not be able to see this very opaque black border but it will not trick ShoeBox as it will assume that all those elements are one blob to parse.

35. renderhjs

renderhjs

A recent game that I worked on and where i used ShoeBox every day was Lynx Lunar Racer. The game was build using Unity and NGUI as UI framework. The fonts in particular were tricky and there was some new stuff I wrote for the bitmap font tool before and after the project. I also used quite a lot the 9-slide tool in ShoeBox for trimming down UI sprites that were designed but not trimmed or reduced by the designers.

Playable links:
    iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/lynx-lunar-racer/id623623038?mt=8
    Dekstop: http://www.lynxapollo.com.au/game/

The fonts rendered in Unity

All of the fonts were stored in one PSD with slices targeted to different template PNG's that I would then automate with ShoeBox to convert each of them into a Bitmap font file.

The UI turned out to be very clean and very flexible on all the different platforms (android, ios, dekstop, tablet, phone,...). Some more screens of the UI

spritesheet

36. trooper

trooper

kerning + large fonts... thanks renderhjs.

37. renderhjs

renderhjs

For a longer time already I have been working on a PSD splitter

The basic idea is that you can drag and drop PSD files and it will search for certain layers and export them cropped or uncropped. Some filters that I came up with:
    • ignore background or canvas sized layers (usually background elements)
    • ignore layers that have a blend mode
    • ignore layers that have bounds smaller than x-size
    • layer name patterns
    The PSD parsing library that I use has its limitations and complex vector shapes or smart objects are not supported or break the parsing process but as it is right now it could be pretty useful and powerful.

38. Acumen

Acumen

Had read about that on polycount the other day, awesome additions !
    Seems like this psd splitter will take another step away from my exporting issues.

Also i wanted to thank you, we finally got our hands dirty and used 2dtoolkit for one of our projects and the fonttool of shoebox made it possible to have a working font ingame within a matter of 5 minutes.
    We couldn't believe the ease and breeze of use.
    We used to hack fonts in via hand and even painted over a setup bitmap to get nice effect fonts. Your tool made us cry over all the long nights that were wasted on such a trivial thing shoebox transforms this into :)

39. trooper

trooper

40. renderhjs

renderhjs

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at it. For shoebox that's not really a solution as that library is not cross platform or wouldn't be easy to bundle - but I might play around with some command line communication anyway.

The PSD splitter is pretty much done and should be added in an update pretty soon. Yesterday I have been starting to add TexRipper into ShoeBox

Its a texture extraction tool (for texture artists mainly I guess) that I started some years ago but didn't had the time to continue it back then. The whole thread can be found here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54694

Here is a video of what it can do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOvLc8t22tc

41. renderhjs

renderhjs

Almost forgot, here is a screenshot of the PSD splitter exporting into a HTML <div> document :)
    What it does: It splits the PSD layers apart into separate PNG files and creates a text file with the file names, x,y positions, width / height etc. attributes.
    You can see the PSD file on the right, since I checked the option "Ignore layer no bkg size" (will rename some of those variables) it actually skipped any background layer that exceeds or is equal to the PSD document size.

Pretty nifty for UI splits or exports. I will try to create some NGUI, starling and other templates or just plain XML likewise.

42. trooper

trooper

I don't know what I've done but for some reason I cannot load shoebox, I've delete the plist's, shoebox and reinstalled but all it wants to do is just sit there.

When I run it from command line it states it cannot alloc memory. Have you come across this before?

43. trooper

trooper

I was mucking around with the new kerning in command line and it just froze, is there a config file that I can delete that might be stopping it from loading? I'm on Mac OSX

44. Acumen

Acumen

Hey I have an option concerning the bitmap font feature.
    Usually I come across certain buttons that only need a handful of words that don't use the entire alphabet. However I haven't encountered a way to quickly check these words for letters that are used more than once and therefore can be left out.
    So basically I was wondering would it be possible to have a toolset/feature that I input all the words I need and ShoeBox filters which letters it needs to put into the clipart for my further ongoing ?

Or maybe is there a process/tool for this out there already, that I just don't know of as a non-programmer ?
    Would be extremely handy in a lot of cases :)

45. trooper

trooper

So I tried using AppCleaner to get rid of Shoebox, uninstalled Adobe Air and reinstalled everything but I still get the crash, does this mean anything?

VM Regions Near 0x50:
    --> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Applications/ShoeBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ShoeBox
    __TEXT 0000000000001000-0000000000007000 [ 24K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/ShoeBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ShoeBox

It's what I get in the crash report when I force quit shoebox, I highly doubt it's useful.

46. trooper

trooper

Ok, solved it, it was either PopChar that I installed or magical fairies stopping it loading.

47. hitmax87

hitmax87

For Adobe Air this perfect good application)) I`m former flash programmer, with about 6 years experience in As2, As3. Your app is nice, as I said, but there is one big issue - cant generate atlas from font bitmap with glow, it just freeze forever, I hope you will fix bug ASAP :)

48. dorpeleg

dorpeleg

@renderhjs
    I'm Interested to hear more about the SWF exporter.
    What exactly will it export?

49. KEMBL

KEMBL

Hello, renderhjs!

I try to use your shoebox and found that may be useful one more Dynamic Variable in File Format Loop section:

@nline - number of line, this need to build structure with iterator like at the bottom where "i" attribute is simple iterator:

Code (csharp):
    2. <d i="1" x="8" y="27" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    3. <d i="2" x="16" y="3" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    4. <d i="3" x="0" y="34" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    5. <d i="4" x="8" y="34" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    6. <d i="5" x="76" y="27" w="7" h="6" a="0"/>
    7. <d i="6" x="1" y="10" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    8. <d i="7" x="70" y="27" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    9. <d i="8" x="10" y="10" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    10. <d i="9" x="50" y="83" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    11. <d i="10" x="28" y="10" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    12. <d i="11" x="18" y="83" w="8" h="6" a="0"/>
    13. and so on...

50. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Been messing with this tool some lately, a shame it doesn't get more attention from the community and development from the author! It is quite a nice interface and seems to do many things that paid applications do, as well or better!