Search Unity

[SHOCKING] Procedural Lightning - Fastest, AAA Quality, Dozens of Prefabs and ⚡UNLIMITED POWER!⚡

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Apr 25, 2016.

1. mlaibow

mlaibow

I am trying to have 18 lightning spheres in my game. If I put in 18 of the LightningBoltShapeSpherePrefab all set to multithreaded with generations set to 4, it adds close to 200 SetPass calls per frame. With multithreaded off this completely cripples the game, with multithreaded on, it works somewhat, but still cuts the frame rate in half.

Am I missing some kind of batching setting? Any suggestions for how to get that many lightning spheres working?

Thanks.
    -mat

2. jjxtra

jjxtra

18 spheres is a LOT of lines, probably many hundreds of thousands. You can either lower the generations, increase the interval and/or lower the amount of emission per frame. Failing that, I would suggest to use the lightning sprite sheet and pre-generate an animated sprite sheet. The is a demo scene in the asset that can do this. Let me know if you need more guidance.

3. jjxtra

jjxtra

You could set the position of the transform way far away for a few frames and then move it into the correct position. I know it's a hack but that's the best option currently. If/when I implement this I will likely do something similar.

4. jjxtra

jjxtra

I'll be adding LOD capability in the future to also help with rendering.

5. mlaibow

mlaibow

Thanks for your reply. LOD capability would be great, as the full lightning effect is not necessary on distant objects.
    Actually, maybe I should try a quick version of that and lower the generations depending on the distance to the camera.

In the meantime, I will give the spritesheet generation a try.

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

Version 2.4.3 is now live in the asset store!

LOD property is now available on the lightning bolt script. I've also gone through and reduced GC allocations, especially for spline lightning.

7. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've send an LOD bug fix that will fix some edge cases with forks and generations being wrong. Version 2.4.4.

8. jjxtra

jjxtra

Procedural Lightning now supports LWRP and HDRP! This is version 2.5.0. Enjoy!

9. FreeReignPublishing

FreeReignPublishing

@jjxtra Hi, how do you access the lightning properties in a script.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  10. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can access lightning properties easily, see the demo scripts for an example, especially demo scene configure script.

11. jjxtra

jjxtra

Procedural Lightning now has an upgrade to Weather Maker, if you own procedural lightning but not Weather Maker, you can upgrade minus the price you paid for procedural lightning

12. BigGameCompany

BigGameCompany

I've dragged the LightningBoltPrefab into the scene and set it to manual mode but after a random amount of time it just destroys itself - what could cause this to happen?

Thanks

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sounds like you've set a value in the destroy after property

14. BigGameCompany

BigGameCompany

Is that something you can set in the inspector? The only code I have added is

lightning.Trigger(.5f);

Thanks again

15. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes there is a property in the inspector

16. BigGameCompany

BigGameCompany

oh, Life Time. I thought that was for something else. Thanks

17. ash4640

ash4640

I already own your Weather maker asset, nice asset
    - does this work with Weather maker
    - Also, weather maker is heavy for a 2D game, so I'm using your rainmaker so can this procedural lightning do 2d

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker already has lightning and is not compatible with either the lightning or rain maker asset.

19. ash4640

ash4640

ok thanks, but part of my question was since I use weather maker only for 3d games
    1. for 2d I'm using just rainmaker and is it compatible with Lightning
    2. also does lightning asset work in 2d (since I'm planning to purchase for 2d game I'm asking)

20. jjxtra

jjxtra

1] No, not compatible
    2] Yes works in 2D

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

The mesh script might work for you. There is a demo scene showing the lightning on meshes.

22. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Hi, purchased this one and it is a great asset. I am using it in an HDRP project and everything works really well but the lights. I have the intensity cranked up, but no lighting is showing in my scene. Any thoughts? Here are my light parameters.

23. jjxtra

jjxtra

I am going to guess I am not doing the lights property for hdrp, I will need to look into that...

24. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Thanks! Glow effects look great btw.

25. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Hello again. I think can create my own animated lights for my HDRP project that trigger with the lightning.

I also wanted to ask about the noise that you are using. I am trying to get a more fluid effect. I have had some success by turning turbulence, forks, and jitter to zero and turning chaos down to a lower number, then ramping up generations to the maximum. It is close to what I am trying to achieve.

Is there a way to control the noise scale and/or the speed at which the noise animates?

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

That's the best way currently. I could look at adding more parameters to make the jitter more noisy rather than simply side to side, but it is not available currently.

27. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Being able to adjust the noise scale would be a nice feature.

28. DamirS

DamirS

Hiho,

longtime Lightning user here - great Product! :) I started a Fresh project with 2021/URP/Steam/OpenVR and see that OpenVR has only the Instanced Option on SIngle Pass. The result is that Lightning is visible only on one eye. Can i do something about that ?
    Also i got a building error :
    Shader error in 'Custom/LightningBoltShaderMesh': undeclared identifier 'sampler_CameraDepthTexture' at line 152 (on d3d11)

yours
    Damir

29. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hello. I am not sure on the VR issue, I don't support VR for my assets anymore due to difficulty and number of devices. I will look at the shader error. Totally understand if you want a refund, just email support@digitalruby.com with your order #.

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Also, I don't support 2021 yet.

31. Cerzi

Cerzi

Having issues with lightning working fine in editor, but not showing at all in build. Project uses Addressables for a bunch of other stuff, perhaps that is causing some issue?

update: fixed this, the main camera was not set in the inspector, which wasn't an issue if running the scene directly but silently fails in build if loading in from another scene - possibly only due to additive scene loading mode and may not be a problem in normal scene loading.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  32. jjxtra

jjxtra

I don't see the shader error in a blank project with just procedural lightning, Unity 2020.2, do you?

33. DamirS

DamirS

Hi jixtra,

thank you for the answers. I saw that i mispelled my Unity Version. Its 2020.2.4f1 ;)
    I understand about VR - sorry to hear that.
    My setup of Unity is with the OpenVR - it seems this triggers the error somehow.

No Refund - i used that Plugin on several Projects successful ;)
    Have to find an alternative now for VR.
    cheers

34. jjxtra

jjxtra

I sent an update that tries to support instancing and stereo rendering, let me know if it helps at all.

35. AngelKraft

AngelKraft

Great asset! Can you tell me how to disable this debug warning message that I don't need?
    "Lightning bolt script is in manual mode. Trigger method must be called."

Thanks!

36. jjxtra

jjxtra

Comment out line of code with //

37. drbatuira

drbatuira

Hi how are you?

I had some doubts:
    2021 is not yet compatible, but will it be in the future?
    Can you tell what doesn't work in 2021?
    Does the URP work normally or does it have any specific restrictions?

Thanks in advance.

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

I don’t support beta unity at all. URP should work just like standard pipeline.

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

All render pipelines are supported.

40. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

I think it's how light values and exposure are calculated in HDRP - I've been struggling with this myself.

If I modify line 220 of LightningBoltDataStructures.cs and crank up the max range of LightIntensity to a crazy amount I can get the illumination to work. I very much doubt this is the correct way to fix it, but I hope it helps. :)

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

That makes sense. I think hdrp is in lumens. So probably just need a multiplier for another light setting to allow easy adjustment. I’ll add it in the next update.

OdderOtter likes this.
  42. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

You're the best. :)

43. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Suggestion: it might be
    Thank you for the fix, it's looking much better now!

44. tomobiki

tomobiki

Hi, I'm evaluating to purchase this asset; I'm using Game Creator to develop my project: do you know if this asset can is compatible with Game Creator and if to use it properly do I need to have scripting skills? Thanks.

45. jjxtra

jjxtra

I would assume so. I’ve not done any explicit integration, but if game creator can call script methods you should be good.

46. tomobiki

tomobiki

Thanks, I saw the tutorial linked from the Asset Store: is it still valid? I saw it's been made in 2015 so I?m asking. Thanks!!

47. jjxtra

jjxtra

It’s probably still valid but maybe a little different. Feel free to ask any questions as you get into it…

tomobiki likes this.
  48. tomobiki

tomobiki

Thank you. I'm going to use this asset to make the player and other characters able to cast lighting spells. I read in the description of the asset that it comes with a spell system.
    I'd like to know better how does it work: if it uses the component that has to be added to the camera of if works in a different way.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  49. jjxtra

jjxtra

No camera component. Just a prefab and some script methods to call.

50. tomobiki

tomobiki

Ok, you convinced me :) I'm buying it right now (taking advance of the discounts!!)