Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shmup Boss - Support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EbalStudios, Dec 31, 2020.

1. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

To be honest I haven't tried Naninovel yet.

In Shmup Boss there are no direct ways to raise generic events that can be easily incorporated with external code. If you are crafty in coding you might be able to connect them though, I suppose it could be done by making special enemies (Could be a wave or a ground enemy) that contain a component which you create and which raises an event linked to Naninovel and pauses the game.

2. abydos

abydos

Thank you for your quick reply.
    The idea is good, but unfortunately I am not good at programming :(
    I am afraid I would not be able to do it.
    Thanks again

3. cyangamer

cyangamer

Hello again!

I'm running into an issue with enemy particle bullets. I have an enemy with a SimpleMover, an EnemyShooter, a FocusRotator, and a TrackerPlayer component. It also has a WeaponParticle as a child. EnemyShooter has IsParticleFollowingMovement set to true, the WeaponParticle has IsFollowingRotation set to true, and SimpleMover has IsFollowingDirection set to true. However, the bullets are all moving in a straight line toward the bottom of the screen regardless of where the enemy is facing.
    2023-07-30 18_50_58-.png 2023-07-30 18_52_00-.png

How do I make sure the particle bullet is moving in the direction that the enemy is facing? I'll also add that it's the parent Enemy object that's rotating, not the model under Visuals.

4. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

If you set the "Is Following Direction" of the "Simple Mover" to true, and the "Is Particle Following Movement" to true as well, the particle weapon will shoot in the same direction of the enemy. But of course this is only if you are not using a "Focus Rotator"

Adding a "Focus Rotator" to an enemy will conflict with the "Is Following Direction" of the "Simple Mover". Which one do you want, do you want the enemy to rotate according to its direction of movement or do you want it to rotate focusing on the player? it's either one or the other.

Additionally, the "Is Particle Following Movement" setting of the "Enemy Shooter" will make the particle weapon use the rotation of the movement and not rotation of the object which are not the same.

I advise against using the "Focus Rotator" or any other type of rotators to the main agent with a mover as it may conflict with the mover.

Do you want the enemy to focus rotate at the player and fire at it? One of the ways you can do this is by using 2 focus rotators, one for the visuals, and one for the weapon. Just make sure you uncheck the "Is Particle Following Movement" setting of the "Enemy Shooter". I've just tried it and it works. If you still are having issues with it or if this isn't the thing you want, let me know.

Note: "Is Following Rotation" setting of the "Weapon Particle" is for rotating the particle sprite and not the particle weapon itself.

cyangamer likes this.
  5. Samus4145

Samus4145

Is it possible to use multiple finite spawners per scene? Would be easier to manage than having 400+ elements in one to manage. I've sort of got 2 working, but notice things start to go south, I think the level complete is tied to the first one that loads, and when adding a third, spawners start to fail.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  6. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

As you have guessed, you cannot use more than one finite spawner. Not only is it linked to the level complete, but the enemy pool is also tied to the finite spawner. You also cannot be certain that it will always pick the first finite spawner.

7. Samus4145

Samus4145

I might be missing something simple, but when using circular rotator on enemy mutition, what determines where it begins to shoot from if the Arc Angle Spread is less than 360 and can it be set somewhere?

8. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

The circular rotator is a straight forward script that simply uses Unity's Rotate Around Transform method. It starts at zero rotation regardless of level type. I didn't think anyone would be interested in its start rotation since it will keep circling around ad-infinitum.

If you want to change the start rotation I just added for you an Angle Adjustment variable. Place any value you want in that and it will rotate the start position by it. The new circular rotator is attached in this post.

Attached Files:

9. Samus4145

Samus4145

Thanks! I made some tweaks and now works just as I need! Great when limiting using weapon rate controller to limit it to fire briefly.

EbalStudios likes this.
  10. chihchanglin

chihchanglin

Any news on Bomb weapon, secondary weapon with ammo, laser weapon? :)

11. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi chihchanglin,
    Just to make it clear, what I am trying to achieve is a complete remake and not a simple feature addition. I have put in about half a year's worth of work into it so far, in between all the different attempts to have a better platform.

At the moment I am more inclined to release modules, or at least work on modules before ever attempting to put it all together. A possible module release I am working on is one for the background.

chihchanglin likes this.
  12. windsands

windsands

I don't know if anyone can help. What I am trying to do is create platforms that if the player collides with the player will die (or take a lot of damage). Like in games like R-type, gradius, etc. I tried using enemies & munitions but got nowhere.

13. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi David,
    I suppose the closest thing you could try is what you already did, to use enemies and give them a lot of collision damage. But as you noticed it will not exactly "push" the player. So you are better off killing the player if he touches them.

Did you try the ground enemies? They might be easier to place on backgrounds. An example of ground enemies is provided in the flying turtle demo, you will find the enemies nested under the pools object. Give those moles a speed of zero and a high collision damage and duplicate them and see if it helps.

14. buzzybee

buzzybee

First of all, thank you for creating ShmupBoss. I purchased this package as I feel it's the perfect learning tool for me. Unfortunately, I already run into trouble running the demos. After having imported the package, Unity bugs out with 77 errors - the screenshot shows some of these errors.

Tried with Unity Editor 2020.2 and 2022.3 on Mac. Both show the same results. I don't know what goes wrong here. Maybe some import issue, as I also don't get to see the Shmup Boss-Option contained within Unity's Edit-menu, that I notice in your Tutorial videos on YouTube.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  15. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi there and thank you for your purchase, no worries. We'll get to the bottom of this and make sure it works out for you.

I tested importing on the following versions: 2020.3.38f1, 2021.3.23f1 and 2022.3.12f1 and it was working out fine for me. If it's not too much to ask, maybe from the Unity hub you can install one of the current official releases? Maybe 2022.3.12f1 or 2021.3.31f1? And afterwards to import again and make sure you hit yes if you get any prompts and let me know what happens?

Thx

16. buzzybee

buzzybee

Thank you for your quick reply. Solved. The solution was to create a totally new project, without some of my own assets, and then import Shmup Boss. Runs fine on Unity versions 2020.2 and 2022.3. Looking forward to dive deeper now!

EbalStudios likes this.
  17. cyangamer

cyangamer

I'm seeing a strange bug with my Infinite Spawner where streams intermittently stop completely after Level 3. It's on random runs, but when it happens, Level 3 ends and Level 4 never starts and no new enemies appear on the screen. I'm looking at InfiniteSpawner.cs and trying to trace through it.

I'm going to add a bunch of Log statement to find the failure, but does this issue sound at all familiar?

18. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

First time anyone reports this. Double check everything and if it persists, please send me a clean project showing this bug only. I mean start a new project, import Shmup Boss, reproduce this bug only, and send me the whole project or necessary files to my E-mail or google drive link via messages here.

Also you might want to try to update your Unity version itself.

19. jnanfeldt

jnanfeldt

I have a player prefab and try putting it into the level (player comp) field. It will not allow me to do so. Can you help, guide me? I am following the steps in the tutorial. Thank you! John

20. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

The only way it wouldn't allow you to do so is if you do not have a Player component attached to your player. Creating a player needs a lot more than just a player component. You need the right type of mover, weapons, collisions, etc.. The easiest way to create a player is to duplicate an existing player prefab and modify it or to create one from the Edit Menu, Shmup Boss, Agents, Create Player template.

21. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

22. jnanfeldt

jnanfeldt

Thank you for the rapid reply. I will delete the existing player prefab and try recreating it in the morning. I really appreciate you're rapid reply and Shrump Boss.

23. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

No worries, thanks a lot for the kind words. Truly appreciated.

24. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Shmup Boss will be upgraded to Unity 2021.3
    Please take note if you are still using Unity 2019.4 or 2020.
    Additionally, later on I might do a couple quick tutorials on how to use the Infinite Scrolling Background pack inside Shmup Boss and perhaps on how to use Bullet Pro. Both of which I just tested now inside Shmup Boss.

Edit: I've just started trying out Discord, not sure if I will keep using it or not.
    This is the link: https://discord.gg/G9HW7tst7x

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  25. cyangamer

cyangamer

Thanks for the quick response. :) I'd confirmed this was not an issue with Shmup Boss's code but I forgot to post here.

EbalStudios likes this.
  26. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Shmup Boss V2.1 was just released. I've added a bomb feature that is easy to use and also an input aspect ratio to for desktop vertical levels to better integrate the Infinite Scrolling Background.

How to use the Infinite Scrolling Background with Shmup Boss

Shmup Boss minimum Unity required version is now Unity 2021.3

New Discord server: https://discord.gg/G9HW7tst7x

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  27. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

If anyone is interested, I recorded a quick video on using Bullet Pro inside Shmup Boss:

28. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Update V2.1.1
    Quick update and script on how to change sprite animation based on agent movement.