Search Unity

Shmup Boss - Support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EbalStudios, Dec 31, 2020.

1. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi and thank you for your interest in Shmup Boss.
    Unfortunately this is not implemented but I will just share with you here the player shooter script which is very straightforward and if you know how to code you should be able to modify to make your own input change the weapons array index which fires instead of firing all listed weapons.

Code (CSharp):
    2. public class PlayerShooter : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.         private Player player;
    6.         private void Awake()
    7.         {
    8.             player = GetComponent<Player>();
    9.         }
    11.         void Update()
    12.         {
    13.             if (PlayerInput.IsFire1Pressed || PlayerInput.IsAutoFireEnabled)
    14.             {
    15.                 for (int i = 0; i < player.MunitionWeapons.Length; i++)
    16.                 {
    17.                     if(player.MunitionWeapons[i] == null)
    18.                     {
    19.                         continue;
    20.                     }
    22.                     player.MunitionWeapons[i].FireWhenPossible(FacingDirections.Player);
    23.                 }
    25.                 for (int i = 0; i < player.ParticleWeapons.Length; i++)
    26.                 {
    27.                     if (player.ParticleWeapons[i] == null)
    28.                     {
    29.                         continue;
    30.                     }
    32.                     player.ParticleWeapons[i].FireWhenPossible(FacingDirections.Player);
    33.                 }
    34.             }
    35.         }
    36. }

2. Xiverio

Xiverio

mmm, seems to be a very clear code, easy to understand.
    I'll go with your template when start the project. Looks amazing.

EbalStudios likes this.
  3. Samus4145

Samus4145

Trying to follow the YouTube tutorials, but stuck a few minutes in the first one. Added a new scene, added the proper components and dragged the Level UI into the scene, but there is no UI being shown like in the tutorial.

edit: Level UI doesn't appear in demo scenes either. Main Menu scene has title, but all Canvas items don't appear

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  4. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

It is possible that the visibility of the UI layer has been turned off somehow, can you please double check this first:
    UI.jpg
    The other possibility I can think of is that the UI prefab may have been changed, if the above doesn't work, can you please try starting a completely new project and reimporting again.

Let me know how it goes, Thanks.

5. Samus4145

Samus4145

Thanks for the reply! I have confirmed that the UI layers are turned on.

For example, on the MainMenu_StartHere scene, I can see in both Scene/Game view, the BG and Title objects, but nothing is visible from the Main Menu object. Even when selecting things, it is like they don't exist.

This is on a brand new project and fresh import.

Using Unity 2022.1 Silicon (OSX)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  6. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

I just tested it out on 2022.1.2f1 and indeed there is an issue with the UI.
    From my initial tests, it seems there is a bug in Unity 2022.1.2 that somehow ruins the scale, pivot and anchors of the canvas. I haven't got to the bottom of it to see when or how it exactly happens. But the thing is, even when I fix the scale and try to save a new prefab inside 2022.1.2f1, it automatically and magically reverts to the old ruined values.

To quickly fix this for now, you could just adjust the scale, anchor and pivot for the nested UIs (unfortunately this means not just one UI but several: HUD Canvas, Pause Canvas, Game Over Canvas, Level Complete Canvas, Virtual Controls Canvas) And you have to do it in every scene you work on, because as mentioned before, saving a new prefab doesn't work.
    UI_Issue_2022.jpg

If you don't have any needs now for Unity 2022.1 you could try reverting to an earlier version. I tested this in Unity 2021.1 and everything seems to be working fine. If this is fixed later in Unity you can always upgrade to the newer versions.

I will investigate this further and later report a bug to Unity, if this doesn't get fixed in next versions. I will try creating a completely new UI prefab inside Unity 2022.1 and provide that prefab to any users of 2022.1

Hope this helps, keep me posted. Thx

7. Samus4145

Samus4145

You are the best! Followed your screenshot for the temp fix for 2022.1 and it is now working on the scene that I have been testing.

8. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thank you! Glad it worked out.

I've done some digging and I found out that this is a bug that happens in Unity 2022.1 whenever you have a prefab with a UI canvas nested another UI canvas.

After you have fixed it, if you create a prefab out of it, the scale and positioning values may get corrupted again, but it remains ok as long as it's not a prefab. I just reported it to Unity and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I also saved a quick scene for others who may encounter the same problem, anyone can just open the scene, copy and paste the fixed UI instead of using the corrupted prefabs until Unity release a new update.

Attached Files:

9. Samus4145

Samus4145

I know there was some discussion last year regarding missiles, but even after going through the notes, I'm having a weird issue.

I'm in-progress of a horizontal shooter. Missiles are traveling on the X axis properly, however, for a split second when they spawn, they appear vertical before changing to horizontal.
    I've tried rotating the prefab (which fixes the spawn, but then it travelings vertically and the Munition options won't resolve) and all of the options on the WeaponMunitionMissile and can't find the proper combination to have it spawn horizontal and travel horizontal.

10. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

You almost nailed it there by trying to rotate the missile, the script I attached in this post will make it work this time without distorting the missile rotation you've made. Just replace the script MissileMoverFollowingRandomEnemy.cs with this one. It's located inside the movers folder, or just open the MissileMoverFollowingRandomEnemy.cs script and delete the -90 inside the edit rotation.

This would make it so that the missile won't change rotation after it's fired, so if you change the rotation of the missile it would work. But please note, that if you have a radial firing weapon (i.e. such as spawning 5 missiles in a radial semi circle fashion) in the first frame they will spawn they will all appear horizontal and not in their radial rotation. This can be easily mitigated if you spawn the missile under another object (i.e. almost hidden in the first frame) or if you add an firing effect that covers the weapon when firing.

Just to understand why this is happening:
    In Shmup Boss I have taken the approach to make all the missile and bullet prefabs with the same orientation, pointing up. This gave the flexibility to reuse the missiles and bullets in horizontal and vertical levels. But this also has the side effect of making the vertical level sort of a default one in regards to the very first frame of spawning.

When you spawn a bullet, it pulls it from the pool as it was originally pooled (i.e. vertical) then applies the rotation. No matter what I do, as in activating the object after I change the rotation, there seems to be an internal delay that applies the rotation after the object has already spawned which shows in the single frame where the rotation appears to be up. Other solutions such as forcing a delay have their own side effects.

I've spent all morning till now to trying to see if there are better fixes for this, but what I am coming up with mostly would necessitate completely revising how Shmup Boss handles all rotations and changing most of the engine. But for now I think if you are building a horizontal game, the script and using horizontal rotations for missiles should cover your needs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  11. Samus4145

Samus4145

Thank you! This will work great. I may also go the other route as mentioned of hiding that first frame. That is a clever work around incase I dive into radial rotation. Thanks again for the support!

EbalStudios likes this.
  12. Samus4145

Samus4145

If it is possible for a little more support around what is the best approach for a standard triangle style spawn wave.

I've been looking for the best approach and it seems if I could add something similar to "spawn position" to each element, and use that value to add/subtract from the overall spawn position from the wave to give proper control over the positioning of each subsequent spawned enemy in the wave. Otherwise I would have to create it using 3 separate waves, but feel combining it would be best foot forward.

upload_2022-6-12_20-6-16.png

13. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

I've modified the scripts to include an option for a: "Is Samus Triangle" in the side spawnable wave.
    Please do backup your project, then copy the new scripts attached in this post over the old ones, in the side spawnable wave you should have the new option with a: "Samus Triangle Offset" as well, make sure its summed up value doesn't exceed one. Also when you spawn a Samus triangle the enemies number will be doubled after the first (i.e an enemy count of 3, will spawn a 3 leveled triangle which contains 5 enemies and not 3, an enemy count of 4 will contain 7 enemies and so on)

I haven't really tested it, just tried to hack through as quickly as I could to get it for you. Please make sure the level ends correctly if you use the new scripts.

Please note that I've made an exception in this case where I attempted to create a feature you requested, I am well aware that there are an infinite number of features that many would consider "standard or essential" for a Shmup, covering everything is an impossibility, as I explain in the description in the pack, I encourage everyone to watch the tutorials to get an idea on what Shmup Boss can or cannot do.

Anyway, hope it works out for you, all the best of luck!

Attached Files:

brittany likes this.
  14. brittany

brittany

I have really been enjoying using and learning this asset. It's been quite easy to add on to it, making my own movers and expanding the weapons and so on. It's a great template.

One little thing I noticed is that the Animated FX Eliminator, Is Parented to Treadmill didn't work. Turns out the Animated FX Eliminator is missing it's call to base.OnEnable in the OnEnable override.

EbalStudios likes this.
  15. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Thank you for the kind words Brittany. I just checked and it seems I did indeed forget a base.OnEnable() in the AnimatedFXEliminator.cs OnEnable override. Will upload the fix later on so that everyone will get the corrected version from the get go.

Really appreciate you helping me out there, all the best.

brittany likes this.
  16. Samus4145

Samus4145

Thanks for working out a solution, but only wanted to use the "triangle" as an example. Which is why I was trying to find a more elegant solution of adding a float range that would be tied to each element added into a wave prefab. This way I can use that value and adjust the spawn position of each enemy in a wave and create all sorts of patterns.

Something like the attached comp. I just can't figure out where to add the float field so that it will appear with all of the enemy prefabs movers.

I know where to adjust the spawn position, in the sidespawnablewavedata.cs, but just can't figure out how to add the float value spawn offset to each element in the enemy prefab array.

Essentially, add the following into each element:
    [Range(-1f, 1f)]
    public float offsetPosition = 0f;

Attached Files:

17. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Adding an offset as you suggest can be quite a useful feature, will make sure to take it into consideration whenever working on any future updates.

To add it, you will need to create a new class that will have as its fields the enemy game object (GameObject) and an additional float field that will contain the offset, this class will be used instead of the Mover array (EnemyPrefabs) in SideSpawnableWaveData.cs

After that is set, you will still need to do all the adjustments I did to all the scripts I sent with the Samus Triangle modification, you will need to open up all the attached scripts inside of (SamusTriangle.zip) and see where I did adjustments and take it into consideration when doing your modification.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Just remembered that you will also needs to change the EnemyPool script since it finds the enemies by checking the waves.

18. Samus4145

Samus4145

Cheers! Keep up the good work. Love all your YT videos!

EbalStudios likes this.
  19. jjdomain

jjdomain

hello,

Can you provide some instructions on how to implement two instance of the game side-by-side? For example a vs mode mode where both players use share split screen and compete to see who wins (by points, progress). I appreciate your help.

20. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi,
    Shmup Boss relies on singletons such as the level instance, UI, player, camera, etc..
    Putting 2 scenes together is not going to work, you will have conflicts where each scene is trying to call the same instance and would not know which one to get. Additionally the player code has not been set up in such a way as to accommodate multiple players. Same goes for the score and tracking movement.

I do not know if there are some shortcuts to enable you to put the same namespace in the same scene without conflict that would save you from the time needed to modify all the scripts (as in playing 2 different projects at the same time), but I am unware of it and my initial quick research didn't provide me with satisfying answers.

As far as my thinking goes at the moment, I believe adding a second player in the manner you propose would require changing, the level, camera, UI, player, movement tracking, enemies spawning, score, etc.. almost the whole pack.

21. jjdomain

jjdomain

I see. How about multiplayers within the same game scene. Either local play accepting two inputs via touch controls on screen, or remote online with other players. Can either be done with some modifications? Like mirror?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  22. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Doing this is far easier and much more possible than having 2 instances of the game side by side.
    You would still need to do some modifications though, these modifications will include aspects such as player lives, how the player picks up things (to recognize which is player1 and which is player2), upgrades, player events, how missiles or pickups track the player, player spawning, game over processing, etc..

23. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

I don't know if is just me but in unity 2021.3.4f1 there's a visual bug in the Scrolling Background Script. The preview and delete preview buttons are blocking the elements view, it makes impossible to modify the background list. :(
    upload_2022-8-27_16-29-11.png

24. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi, it's not just you! It's everyone using 2021.3.4f1 :)
    I just tested it and it seems Unity 2021.3.4f1 indeed has this bug but Unity seems to have fixed it with the latest iteration of 2021.3.8f1, if you download that one you should be all good to go!

Note: After you download 2021.3.8f1 it's better if you start a new project and reimport Shmup Boss as I noticed that upgrading from the buggy 2021.3.4f1 can corrupt some files.

Let me know if you download it and for whatever reason, something doesn't work.

25. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

Yes it's now working but I have a visual bug when I shoot and move the player using a munition weapon. The projectile distorts when I move, I've been searching in forums for this behavior but seems is just my project. upload_2022-8-31_19-40-11.png

26. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Can you test if the provided demos have this behavior or not? If they do, and you then test starting a new project and reimporting again and the problem still persists then the cause might be internal.

But if it's just happening with a bullet you created, then you should test what happens when you use one of the bullets available in the Prefabs folder --> Munition --> Bullets (or Missiles --> Player Missiles)

A bullet needs to have a bullet script, rigidbody2D (Kinematic) and a 2D trigger collider.
    Additionally a bullet fired by a player should not have any relation what so ever to the movement of the player, since it's not nested under it and uses a simple rigidbody2D force.

If you are using a missile, and it's a player missile, then it also shouldn't be affected constantly by the player movement.

It's a lot easier if you just duplicate one of the existing bullets or missiles and modify it to fit your needs rather than creating your own.

To be able to better help you, can you please double check and compare your scene, player, and bullet/missile to any of those of the demos.

If you want to select the bullet fired by the player, pause and select it or open up the pooled player munition hierarchy and select the active munition to better see what's happening. munition.jpg

27. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

I switched to the space hero vertical demo, duplicated one of the bullets and just changed the sprite to the one I'm using, I'm still watching this behaviour. Then I tried this with the bullet_transparent_3 which its shape is similar to the one I'm using (both are vertical projectiles) and seems to distort as well, this only happens when the player is moving, otherwise the projectiles don't distort. I noticed the projectiles don't seem to distort in the scene tab. I think it's something related to how this is being rendered. This is very strange :(
    upload_2022-9-1_19-56-49.png
    upload_2022-9-1_19-57-20.png

28. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Can you send in your project files via private message or E-mail (info@ebalstudios.com)? (Please don't send project files here on this public forum)

29. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

Yeah I just sent the project via email :)

30. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hola Compañero!
    I just tested your project file and turns out it's a collider size issue.
    The sprite you are using has a very low resolution which means it's far smaller than the original bullet you modified. So when you change the sprite only, the collider is still big like it used to be with the first bullet:
    BulletCollider.jpg

Just change the collider size from the collider 2D settings here:
    BulletColliderNew.jpg

31. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

I did that and didn't work for me maybe is just my pc :confused::confused: upload_2022-9-3_19-24-28.png

32. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

I think it's because you are using a 16x16 pixel image, Unity has a hard time knowing how to scale it. I've looked up this issue and it's quite common.

The easiest solution is not to use such low pixels, I've upscaled your sprite in Photoshop into a decent 128x128 pixel and I think it should solve the scaling issue you now have which is quite normal to happen when you attempt to upscale a 16x16 image in real-time, download the attached image and test it, you will of course need to make sure the collider radius matches the new size of the new bullet.

Edit: to download the image please right click on Player_beam.png and select save linked content as.

Attached Files:

33. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

This helps but some deformation persists, is it working in your pc?
    1. I copied the png
    2. Converted to sprite 2d
    3. Changed the bullet sprite
    4. Updated the collider
    Am I missing something?

34. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

I will do all I can to help you out, when I try it there are no deformations. I attached screenshots to show how it looks like, I can record a video if you want to as well.
    Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg Screenshot3.jpg Screenshot4.jpg
    I always used to make this mistake and it won't harm to make sure, you are changing the prefab right? I mean the player prefab when selecting the new bullet, or if you change the player in the scene please make sure you hit the apply button, just in case to cover all possibilities.

35. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

Yes i did that, the last thing that comes to my mind is something related to my pc

36. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

Hello again! apparently this visual bug only occurs in the editor, I tested the apk and it's fine. Thanks for the help :) :)

37. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Glad it worked out!! And thank you for letting me know how it went.

38. CajitaChan

CajitaChan

How can I block the player position in mobile? When I press the pause button and resume the game, the player moves to the resume button position.

39. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

I have replied to you via private conversation with 2 scripts that should give you a 0.5 second delay after clicking the resume button from the pause menu. You can also change the delay time.

Please note though that technically, it's a natural behavior for the player to follow the pointer touch after hitting resume since the game has resumed and generally does not affect a mobile game that much, anyways the scripts I sent should alleviate the issue, you might want to test with the best delay time.

40. Samus4145

Samus4145

Anyone try updating the project with the new Input System?

41. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

I have just tried to do a quick test and I managed to somewhat get a basic move functionality through the new input system.

Steps:
    -Install the new Input system package.
    -Add a "Player Input" component to the Input Handler game object.
    -Create default actions and save them.
    -Change behavior to "Invoke Unity Events"

-Now go the "InputHandler.cs" , add a "using UnityEngine.InputSystem" line then add a new public method (I named it "FindMove") and make sure it uses "InputAction.CallbackContext context" as a parameter and put this line inside it (all shown in the screenshots):
    inputDirection = context.ReadValue<Vector2>();

-Comment out the lines inside "FindDesktopControlsDirection()" method since we won't be using them any longer, just as shown in the screenshot

-Now just go back to the Player Input component which you added to the Input Handler, expand Player Events, in the Move Callback Context, drag and drop the input handler and then as function choose --> InputHandler -- FindMove

And you are done now, you should be able to move using the new input system. And you can use the same method to change:
    PlayerInput.IsFire1Pressed = Input.GetButton(ProjectInput.Fire1);
    PlayerInput.IsSubmitPressed = Input.GetButtonDown("Submit");
    PlayerInput.IsCancelPressed = Input.GetButtonDown("Cancel");
    which are located inside the "FindDesktopInputButtons()" method in InputHandler.cs

Basically converting Shmup Boss into the new input system is as difficult as changing
    Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
    Input.GetAxis("Vertical");
    Input.GetButton("Fire1");
    Input.GetButtonDown("Submit");
    Input.GetButtonDown("Cancel");
    into the new input system since basically that's all the input it uses

InputHandler1_2.jpg InputHandler2.jpg InputHandler3_1.jpg InputHandler3_2.jpg InputHandler1.jpg
    All that said!!
    Please do make sure you need any added functionality of the new input system before spending time and effort on it. If the old system works there is absolutely no need to switch to the new one.

You can read the post of "Rene-Damm" from Unity about it here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/legacy-input-manager-vs-new-input-system-package.1257252/

42. Samus4145

Samus4145

What's the best approach for tweaking depth position for FXs? Current explosion FX tied to enemy's are on the same plane, and I'm looking to modify each on individually.

edit: Got it. Had to change the Z position to be negative, not positive.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  43. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Great! glad you got that sorted out, also not sure if this could help in the future, but you can also make the FX spawning position not related in anyway to the enemy, by choosing the "Start Position Option" to: "By Play Field" or "By Input". This way you can control the depth index or make the FX totally unrelated to the Play Field.

SamusFX.jpg

44. AKAGT17

AKAGT17

:)Hi there Ebalstudios I have been looking at your asset and am interested in purchasing, however there are some questions I would like to ask first.

- I am not a coder and would like to know if it is simple enough for me to use the components in the engine to add a 2 player function? If it is simple enough to set up, how would the score system effect a second player?

- would you consider adding a button remapping feature in the settings in the future?

thanks, I look forward to your reply

45. Samus4145

Samus4145

edit: Figured it out what I wanted to do again. If anyone else is wondering, use the Weapon Rate Controller to add delays between burst style shots for enemies.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  46. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi and thank you for getting in touch before you make a purchase, it helps a lot to do so now rather than afterwards.

If you are not an experienced coder; I would not recommend it at all. As you have guessed it, it will affect other components and parts of the pack. Not only the score and the need to setup new input controls. But also how the level ends and what the enemies and missiles will track. It's not a straightforward undertaking.

No plans at the moment for such feature. But will I take it into consideration if I ever decide to make any updates. Thank you for the feedback.

47. Samus4145

Samus4145

What could be the reason for spawned enemies to just despawn? I have a waypoint enemy spawn 5 enemies, and during the waypoint movement, one of them (3rd one out of 5) just blinks off. There's only 8 on screen and the pool limit is set to 50, so that should not be an issue.

It is different one every time. There is nothing outside the prefabs gameobject, so nothing should be causing an issue.

Pooled Adversaries looks like this (bold represents shown on screen, not bold one is "off'
    simpleEnemyB
    simpleEnemyB
    simpleEnemyB
    simpleEnemyB
    simpleEnemyB

edit: I should say that the top of the Pooled Adversaries is one of everything that is being spawned. Is that correct?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  48. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Yes, the top are the basic clones.

Just to be clear. Are you spawning an enemy from another enemy? (i.e. you say: "I have a waypoint enemy spawn 5 enemies.") I am assuming it's a typo and you mean a waypoint wave spawning 5 enemies. As there can only be one finite spawner in the scene, and you can't spawn enemies from other enemies. (Yes the idea came to my mind during development but it's not so easy to implement with the approach I have in the pack).

Now, if you are spawning a good old ordinary waypoint wave from the single spawner inside the level. The only thing I think could cause flickering is a simple depth index, where the enemy is spawned on the same Z-depth of some background or other object, try changing the depth index. Or maybe you have some waypoints on top of each other. Just try to move the waypoints or delete them all and create new ones and see how it goes.

I have tried to stress test waypoint movers on my side and didn't get a similar issue. Let me know how it goes.

49. Heero888

Heero888

Hi Ebal,

Where is the script I can disable Unity showing the Shmup Baby in Inspector when Unity starts up?

Thanks,
    Wai Fung

Attached Files:

50. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

Hi Wai Fung,
    Just delete the "Readme Files" folder and the "Readme" file you can see in the screenshot. Deleting those files won't affect the pack in any shape or manner.