Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Shift+F not working (properly) on small objects.

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by georgeq, Sep 30, 2018.

1. georgeq

georgeq

I don't know if it is because my objects are too small 0.2m or if it's because I'm using a particle system with no mesh renderer, but if I press Shift+F on those objects the camera is set too far away, the camera follows the objects though, but the feature becomes useless at such distance.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you submit a bug report with a minimal reproduction project for this issue please?

3. georgeq

georgeq

I did, but haven't received the confirmation email... should I report it again?

4. optimise

optimise

Go to your fogbugz and check the list of your cases u reported. It seems like there's bug not able to receive confirmation email recently.

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot for your report George! It is in the system and should get processed soon. I've pointed the problem with the missing confirmation email out to the team. Is this the first time you're not receiving a confirmation email?

optimise likes this.
  6. optimise

optimise

I also have this issue and yes it's first time I'm not receiving the email.

LeonhardP likes this.
  7. georgeq

georgeq

yes, all bugs I reported previously I've gotten a confirmation mail just few minutes after I submitted the report.

LeonhardP likes this.
  8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

OK, tell me if it happens again.

9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi George,
    I took a look at your bug. This is actually by design. Framing an object works by taking all the renderers and calculating the total bounds for the GameObject. The particle system bounds are causing the focus to be further away.
    Here is a script that shows the focus bounds in case you are curious(it needs to be part of a test assembly as it uses internal functions).

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEditorInternal;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    6. public class ShowBounds : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     void OnDrawGizmos()
    9.     {
    10.         var bounds = InternalEditorUtility.CalculateSelectionBounds(false, Tools.pivotMode == PivotMode.Pivot);
    11.         Gizmos.color = Color.red;
    12.         Gizmos.DrawWireCube(bounds.center, bounds.size);
    13.     }
    14. }
    The red cube represents the bounds of the object.
    upload_2018-10-8_11-30-27.png

If you want it to only focus on the bounds of your cube then move the ParticleSystem to another GameObject and make it a child.

Because this system is a procedural ParticleSystem the bounds are always the same size, they do not fit to the particles on screen at the time.

forestrf and LeonhardP like this.