Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Shelved CLs in Unity Collaborate

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Beweeted, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Beweeted

Beweeted

Does Unity Collaborate have any functionality similar to Shelved CLs? Below description is just for background, in case there's another solution to the core problem

I feel like I have two use cases for UC right now. We're doing a 1/1/1 split for artist, engineer and producer:
    • Publishing CLs for my team to review and work on. UC is working perfectly well for this so far, and doesn't require my non-technical teammates to learn any heavier version control systems.
    • Working on my two machines. Windows for primary development, but Macbook for on the go or working from bed.

I have experience working with P4, and I know the Shelved CL feature would work just fine for the second goal.

I can find a data transfer solution (flash drives, dropbox, etc), but I am hesitant for two reasons:
    1. I would prefer a 2-click solution inside the current system, rather than pulling in another system that is a hassle.
    2. I don't have to worry about any conflicts or edge cases from having Unity Collaborate and Dropbox operating on the same folder.

2. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the interest in Unity Collaborate. We don't officially support this feature, but I'll be more than happy to put in a feature request for you. There is a workaround I am thinking of that might work, but I am going to need to follow up later after I have done some testing with it. The last thing I want to do is recommend a workaround that might ruin your Org's dashboard.

3. Beweeted

Beweeted

Thanks Gurg. For the time being, I'm just going to stick to doing a whole CL on one machine or the other. Fortunately, I like one IDE much more than the other, so in the scheme of things, I don't think this is going to be too big of a problem.

4. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Sure thing. The theory I just wanted to test was exactly how potentially terrible of an idea is it to unlink your local project and make a new project link that acts as your shelving area and then relinking the project later when you need to sync it with the original project. It would waste available repo space and potentially make a mess of the org project dashboard. I want to see how easy it is to break that relink at the end because I don't want to recommend a method that's not supported and ends up wasting your work.