Search Unity

Sharing Assets across teams?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MaxxVelocity, Jan 29, 2021.

1. MaxxVelocity

MaxxVelocity

Forgive me if this has been answered 100x, but I'm new to the Unity ecosystem.

I've purchased some assets that include client-side editors. In particular, the Dialog System for Unity is going to be one that I lean on.

My team includes a couple of interns who will be contributing creatives. One potential option would be to have the dialog writer use the Unity-integrated editor. However, I don't want to have to purchase a an asset license for someone who isn't building builds.

My question then is: does the Unity Store have an integrated system for allowing team members to share purchased assets in their local client work, without having to have each one purchase the asset for themselves?

I imagine this is a common problem / opportunity for distributed teams, so I'd be glad to take an advice on how to make best use of purchased assets with editor UIs.

2. Recon03

Recon03

well if a user uses it, they should be buying it... be sure to check the rules for the asset you bought.. ( not everyone follows the rules, but they are suppose to be. I know when I sell games or worked with clients, I would buy that asset, or the client would buy me a version as I refused to work on it with out my own version.... This is how its suppose to be for most assets....

If its just in your project, then you don't, have to, but if you have two users using an asset, each person should have a copy of there own. even if one is installed.

Most people won't posts, and I bet many don't follow the rules, sadly.

as an example, who ever is actually using that editor, would need a copy, if you have someone just making up the dialog, but not using that editor, he does not need a copy. Be sure to follow Unity rules for each asset bought, some may have different rules.

Most software on the net, will say 1 user. This is what they mean, 1 user actually using it. if you had a coder on your team and an artist but just the artist is actually using said software, then only he/she would need it. So, you don't need to get it.. Now I have heard over the years, say you need one for each person on your team, which makes no sense if they are never touching the software...

I would contact Unity them selves, to be 100% what to follow, I been here for over a decade since the store and most seem to have followed what I said above.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  3. MaxxVelocity

MaxxVelocity

Generally when you license components as a producer, you're buying the right to incorporate it in your build, not the right to "use" it. If I buy a SQL Server license, then anyone in my shop can use it for production within the activated feature set, physically and lawfully. So your description of how things work isn't consistent with industry standards.

4. yasirkula

yasirkula

5. MaxxVelocity

MaxxVelocity

yasirkula likes this.