Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shareware sales data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David-Helgason, Apr 6, 2006.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

2. dan

dan

This is good anecdotal evidence to support the Mac platform (and Linux) when releasing an indie or casual game.

Very cool of them to share this information. Thanks for passing it along, David.

3. hsparra

hsparra

Man, I can't believe you get paid to go to college in Denmark. 8) I had to pay my way.

4. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I think government economists figured that college eduated people earn better, and since our taxes are insanely high (>50%), the investment pays back.

Economics is a funny game.

d.

5. hsparra

hsparra

Not to get way off topic, but is that total taxes or just income tax? If total, that is not that bad. Of course you said >50, which could actually be much greater :) When I think of my income, property, and sales taxes. And doesn't Denmark have some type of Universal healthcare. If so, then I need to include my health care premiums.

So, they made about $76K revenue, not counting Deutchland. Not much, but really good when you consider their marketing under $6k. I am throwing in the GDC trip. Really the marketing looks closer to $1K.

The conversion rate of 1.5% looks in the ballpark for what I have seen elsewhere. It is interesting that the Mac conversion rate was around 3 1/2 times the conersion rate for Windows (take that taumel :p )

For me, some of the most interesting info is in the "Sune:" section, whatever "Sune" means.

6. taumel

taumel

>>>The conversion rate of 1.5% looks in the ballpark for what I have seen elsewhere. It is interesting that the Mac conversion rate was around 3 1/2 times the conersion rate for Windows (take that taumel :p ) <<<

Ouch that really hurt...i never got striked this badly.. ;O)

I think it's rather obvious as the competition simply lacks. You don't have all the big games from windows so there is a market for smaller productions. Secondly you also have less alternatives in this segment than on windows.

I think gamers, as long as they have something above a miniMac, will play more windows titles on their mac as they can play big titles without waiting some years/months waiting for a conversion, if they are adapted at all.

As for smaller titles shareware/casual stuff there for sure is a market. With the sales figuers i've witnessed i would say that strong titles are doing better on windows (due to the larger market) and not so good titels are doing better on the mac (due to the smaller competition).

There are always examples which did extremely well but there are also enough examples which did not this well...

Regards,

taumel

7. socksy

socksy

Does anyone else find it surprising that linux got a conversion rate of 1.1%?

Aren't these the same people that believe that everything should be free, freeness should be enforced worship GPL etc etc?

Interesting.

8. taumel

taumel

Nevertheless that gridwars was a free game i found it very interesting that i had a lot of downloads for the linux version - actually more than for the osx version and in a shorter time.

After that i went to some sites and saw that there does exist a active scene where people play games which are:

a) Also done for linux
    b) Open source games
    c) Webgames
    d) Running on an emulator
    e) Windows games who work with wine and cedega.

Surprising isn't it?! :O)

Another point for unity on linux/ps3.

Regards,

taumel