Search Unity

Feedback Share your Unity Hub 3.0 Beta Feedback Here

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Jun 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobDesrosiers

RobDesrosiers

Bug: Installing any Unity editor with Android support, including latest 2021.2 betas, shows this bug: "Failed to delete old Unity Android Support installation. Maybe Unity or some of its tools are still running?". This was not an issue in beta 4 to my knowledge.

2. ThatoMogale

ThatoMogale

Still has issues with licensing, I'm using the free version and when I press agree and get personal license, it still doesn't work. And it shows a blank screen for a while after you've openedit

3. adamgolden

adamgolden

I had something like this happen recently - I can't remember where I found the solution, but someone suggested uninstalling Hub and then looking in Programs (in Windows control panel) and any versions that are still installed, remove those. I did that and then after re-installing the latest Hub everything worked fine again.

4. Coffee64

Coffee64

I cant access unity anymore

5. tnaseem

tnaseem

Add Modules section:
    - Currently, you have to select the checkbox itself for each entry. The checkbox should work even if you select the text accompanying the checkbox.

- When selecting Android Build Support, the checkboxes inside the same tree should also be selected.

- Remember the selections from the last time you installed a previous version.

6. Wenceslavs

Wenceslavs

Unable to create license

7. DevDunk

DevDunk

Love the looks, but when I install an engine with all modules enabled I get the message 'Failed to delete old Android Support Installation files'
    Unity is not running and clicking retry or running hub as admin does not fix it.

because of this I cannot build for android

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  8. SniperED007

SniperED007

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but in Unity Hub (old and new) the Modified date is the project list seems to randomly work. Sometimes it will say last modified 5 months ago (even though I used it that project that day etc).
    Happening to my work colleague as well.

Feature Request
    - Add the ability to Pin projects to the top.

9. adamgolden

adamgolden

Same here. In 3.x, I've also intermittently noticed the same project being listed twice, one after the other, with the only difference being one item has forward slashes displayed in the path and the other has backslashes - it's not happening at the moment (using beta 3.0.0-beta.5) but if I see it again I'll mention it.

10. decimate_3d

decimate_3d

When creating a NEW URP Project on Mac with 2021.1.23f1 using the Hub 3.0.0-beta.5 I'm getting the "Enter Safe" mode dialog. If I ignore and proceed with creating the project, the console displays the following errors.

/bin/sh: /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/build/MacEditor/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/netcorerun/netcorerun: No such file or directory /bin/sh: /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/build/MacEditor/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/Roslyn/csc: No such file or directory

11. theemuis123

theemuis123

cant use certain microgames anymore. they download but the assets folder is empty

12. dezzell

dezzell

Still needs a massive amount of work. Black screen for almost 5 minutes. Finally shows and says no active licenses. Attempted to add License back, no go. Tried Serial Number, not working. Tried Activate Personal License, not working. Press on Agree, and nothing happens, just sits there. Have 3.0 beta 5 and it is broken. Going back to older version so I can work.

upload_2021-10-7_15-11-21.png

upload_2021-10-7_15-11-35.png

upload_2021-10-7_15-13-8.png

upload_2021-10-7_15-13-31.png

13. s_u_o_p

s_u_o_p

It'd be great if you guys added a simple disable on windows startup. It is infuriating to have to close it every single time I start up my computer as my system crashes if I have anything other than what's needed open.

Cheers, suop

14. jiraphatK

jiraphatK

Can you disable it in Task Manager Startup tab?

15. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Is there any chance we could get the old Unity Hub 2 workflow where the new project is automatically created using the same engine choice you made with last new project? Or at very least have checkbox "remember last engine choice" etc for new projects. Getting all my new projects defaulting to last LTS made me uninstall the beta and go back to 2.x.

TL;DR: let users pick their preferred default engine version instead of always defaulting back to latest LTS.

16. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You probably just have it stuck on windows icon cache and it didn't understand the change - happens occasionally on all tools for me. Wiping the icon cache will force Windows to use current icons when it regenerates the cache.

17. kiwibonga

kiwibonga

Just wanted to share a bad experience -- not sure it's worth a bug report, hopefully it's useful to someone at Unity.

Yesterday, I needed to update Unity to get around a RenderTexture / UI stencil bug that affects all 2019 versions, was upgrading from 2019.3.24f1

I installed 2020.3.20 with Android and Windows IL2CPP build support -- then some cryptic error about being unable to delete android SDK files (which files?) popped up, with "Abort/Retry/Cancel" which is never a good sign.

Preferences / External Tools complained about missing JDK/SDK/NDK, claiming the components were not present. It looks like the contents of the folders were incomplete (much smaller than a 'healthy' unity install folder).

When the Android installation is broken, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it except uninstall the entire version of the editor and all modules.

So I did that to try again. But when I went to reinstall 2020.3.20, I was presented only with 2020.3.19 in the Hub and had to downgrade my project, reimport/reset packages, etc...

And no matter how many times I uninstall, delete, reinstall, restart, the popup about mysterious files that can't be deleted keeps coming up.

Based on google searches, this is critically common -- it shouldn't be more complicated than ticking the build support module during install, and yet countless people seem to end up in the same place.

I also noticed that installing the SDK and NDK from the Android SDK Manager manually in the location (AppData/Local/Unity/Hub/Editor/Whatever/Version/Support/PlaybackEngines/Android/SDK/blah/blah/com.reallylongapplication.name...) fails because the path is too long for Windows, and I was forced to create a folder closer to the drive root. No such error message or problem seems to crop up with Unity's own install of the SDK stuff though.

I'm still unsuccessful despite everything and will now have to attempt fully wiping my computer of all android and Unity related components before trying all over again, because it's going to be days now of battling this...

18. kasquez

kasquez

I'm trying to install Unity in my new laptop and I haven't been able to because when I open the hub and press the "Sign In" button nothing happens. It opens my browser, asks permission to open "unityhub" links and when I select the unity hub program to open said link, nothing happens. At all. So I can´t install Unity because the hub doesn't want to log in.

Also, being able to upgrade Unity installs instead of having to download and install a whole different version would be nice.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  19. That's a major mistake from your part. You should not do that. You always should make backup before you upgrade (and obviously use version control).
    - make backup
    - install new Unity version
    - upgrade your project
    -- if you have some problems you can reinstate your project from backup/version control and continue with your previous Unity version without major problems
    -- if everything is fine and dandy and you thoroughly tested your project with the new version, make another backup and submit your changes into version control
    - continue your work in the new version if the upgrade was successful

Otherwise: always send a bug report if you encounter a problem which isn't reported yet. QA can track it and it may gets fixed. The worst case scenario is that QA tells you they can't reproduce your problem.

UnityJuju and LooperVFX like this.
  20. CanUnesi

CanUnesi

Using 3.0.0-beta.5, installing both ios and android modules are messed up, ends up giving errors on build on both platforms just as the other users mentioned. Switched back to production, everything is working as intended.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  21. Fedora_Dev

Fedora_Dev

We need 2 features added to Hub; dark theme and the ability to upgrade Unity installs. I'm currently using 2020.3.2 and the LTS is now on 2020.3.20. In order to get the 18 sub-version updates, I need to completely uninstall 2020.3.2 and install 2020.3.20 from scratch only for there to be another sub-version update a few days later.

Today I saw that Hub 3.0 was available to which I naively thought "Oh maybe they finally did it!" and jumped into it. Well, the theme is dark, but they've left a few nautical miles of empty space everywhere. Do you see the GIANT close/minimize/maximize buttons? This looks like it was made for touch screen users. Hub 3.0 is once again proving that Unity Technologies is completely ignorant of their users' needs.

Actually, this is a great thing! Windows 11 just launched and the UI team over at Microsoft spent a few years coming up with the best way to waste as much screen real-estate as possible. Now, Hub will match perfectly. I can't wait to see Hub running in Windows 11 and see what the combined wasted screen space is. A few more years of this and we'll be squinting at our UHD monitors trying to fit a full 80 characters in our windows.

I am embarrassed to tell people I use this engine.

22. icarr

icarr

Can we get a light theme as well.

Dark theme always looks like an ancient green screen terminal to me! very 80's. :)

KyryloKuzyk likes this.
  23. ChAmo_D

ChAmo_D

Give pause option while downloading unity engine.

24. Danoli3

Danoli3

upload_2021-10-12_16-11-7.png

Android NDK / SDK failures every single time for 2021.1.X under Hub 3.0 Beta 1-5

Please get this right for .6 :)

25. Danoli3

Danoli3

Also amazing HUB developers:: Consider this: Add Current Target for that project here
    - Even just output vs able to be changed would be a great transparency as to which project and what target was last setup

upload_2021-10-12_16-17-49.png

ROBYER1 and JesOb like this.
  26. Roastbeef

Roastbeef

On macOS with Beta 5, I am no longer able to launch Unity.

Unity Hub shows my active license, but when I try to open Unity (through Hub or otherwise) the editor exits with the log message:
    Unity opens normally when I switch Hub channel back to production.

27. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

And maybe store it somewhere that isn't the library, so it stays after my regular deletion of the library to keep Unity from acting wonky.

28. r1mple

r1mple

what is do?
    login button doesn't work
    upload_2021-10-12_16-10-11.png

29. darkstarmike

darkstarmike

3.0.0 beta launcher is timing out for me when I try to load projects in the editor. Restarting seems to correct this but it wasn't an issue before.

30. DorukEfeDereli

DorukEfeDereli

I downloaded a LTS version for editor. But its gave error.
    Error Message: Validation Failed
    How To Fix?
    I closed Unity Hub and i quit unity hub icon in taskbar (show hidden icons).
    And i right clicked on unity hub and i click Run as administrator
    and it downloaded successfuly

31. DorukEfeDereli

DorukEfeDereli

i think its beta 3.0.0-beta 5 problem

32. Coffee64

Coffee64

Unity fixed itself nvm

33. sohaib_qadri

sohaib_qadri

Ran into a couple of issues with Hub 3 Beta 5, switched back to Hub 2.4.5 already.

Following are the steps to reproduce the issues I encountered:

1. Upgrade to Hub 3 beta 5 from Hub 2.4.5.
    2. Uninstall Unity version 2020.3.10f1
    3. Go to Installs and then to download archive and get the same version 2020.3.10f1.

After the download is complete and installation is almost complete, you will keep on getting a dialog box showing a message that the installation was not complete because Unity is already in use. Which is strange because you just uninstalled it and right now you are installing it.

In the first go though, I clicked the Retry button a couple of times but the message kept showing up. Frustrated by it I clicked the Abort button and the Hub said the Unity Editor installation has failed.

Restarted my computer, uninstall Unity again and installed the same version as mentioned above following step 2 and 3. Same message appeared again saying that Unity is already in use and pressing Retry bring up the same message again. Then press the ignore button and Hub said that everything was installed fine.

I opened up my project with downloaded version of Unity and after opening, Unity showed me a message that JAVA_HOME environment variable references a directory that does not contain java. I opened the Preferences and there were huge yellow triangles showing against SDK, NDK and JDK paths. I opened the folder which were supposed to have these SDK, NDK and JDK but I am not sure if all the things were downloaded properly. NDK and JDK folder were missing.

So, there are 2 main issues here:
    1. That popup dialog that says Unity is already in use. (details mentioned above)
    2. Android NDK, JDK and SDK are not properly downloaded and installed and the Hub shows that they were downloaded fine.

3rd issue:
    Hub 3 Beta 5 does not remember the login. Every time I opened it up I had to login.

Switching back to Hub 2.4.5 and modifying the Installed version will download the Android SDK, JDK and NDK again even though it also shows that they are already installed.

Thanks, hope these issues will be fixed soon because I really loved the new look and features :)

DaveKap likes this.
  34. chipenstain

chipenstain

Hello! I have a problem with Unity hub version 3.0.0-beta5. It does not activate the license ин license key & does not create license request file...In this version, it is not possible to activate the pro version of the unity.

Attached Files:

35. bentleycj

bentleycj

What if you it on an SD Card? My main disk is full so I have to use one.

36. SniperED007

SniperED007

On the downloads section can you add a link to the patch notes for each Unity install

37. DenisK_WRG

DenisK_WRG

I have troubles with launching latest Unity 2021.1.24f1 on Unity Hub 3.0.0-beta.5. But I'm not sure that it's related to beta versions only, because production version of Hub didn't help.

I downloaded latest Unity version and after that removed all my previous LTS versions (lack of free space). But on launch Unity says "Licenser error":
    upload_2021-10-14_19-40-24.png

But I have activated Personal license (I can see it in Preferences) that worked fine with previous removed Unity versions (same Hub beta version). Few times helped switching to production Hub , but now I can't launch Unity with any Hub version. I don't know why latest Unity can't see activated license in Hub.

Besides that I have troubles on checking License update (but it has valid time) and with login/logout process with server errors (I hope it's not my internet provider).

It is somehow related to License Server I guess.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  38. soleron

soleron

Not being able to manage modules is a bit problematic.
    The Android installation failed, and the Hub shows as installed but there is no option to uninstall the module or re-install it.

This has happened on 3 machines. Switching to standard Launcher fixed the problem.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  39. NinZ0

NinZ0

using Hub 3.0.0-beta.5,
    no license found, cant Add a new license, nothing works,

the Hub 3.0.0-beta.5 is the main download from the unity website, a BETA offered as a main download to all users, i can't even start to understand how is this even possible,
    Imagine new users trying unity, the first step, before even entering the engine, is a wall of bugs and problems,
    terrible!

soleron likes this.
  40. Johannski

Johannski

All in all, I would say the new beta goes in a good direction! Here are two things I don't like at all:

1.) Always wanting to install Visual Studio alongside / Default values for new installs
    upload_2021-10-16_17-45-48.png

This annoys me the most. For every install I always need to deselect this option. I use Rider and I'm happy with it, why do you need to tell me every time if I want to install VS as well? I think in general I would love to have the selection I made with the previous install to be the default for the next one (e.g. If I select android and iOS, probably I want those with the next install as well and if I consciously deselect VS, I probably don't want it in the next install).

2.) Install missing editor very hidden
    upload_2021-10-16_17-50-13.png
    When missing an editor version, I think the install this editor version option should be more prominent. A few days ago I wanted to do exactly that, but missed the button, because it is on the second page after selecting "Choose another Editor version" (this text does not really suggest, that I will find the version I'm missing in there).
    upload_2021-10-16_17-50-27.png
    And there it is also not immediately visible. I think moving the option to the first screen to make it more prominent would help UX a lot imo.

41. +1 on this one. This should be a setting at least or deselected by default. I would add the offline documentation option as well.

Johannski likes this.
  42. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

HUB install aborts immediately, without providing any information...

UnityHub.gif

43. FYI: that's not 3.0 beta Hub... You probably should have open your own thread with that.

44. DaveKap

DaveKap

Came here to also report that despite having the Android SDKs selected while updating to the latest version of Unity, they did not actually download and the HUB believes they are installed. Big pain in the butt.

45. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

Most of the issues people point out here also appear in the 'stable' version of the hub. Valid, paid licenses being rejected, modules not being installed etc. But you're right, my mistake.

46. ljaniec

ljaniec

I cannot even login in Unity Hub (v3.0.0-beta.5) - the prompt opens a blank website with:

https://api.unity.com/v1/oauth2/authorize?client_id=unity_hub&response_type=code&code_challenge=QLVlbAAUUY9WaihpTlHVofphKLJ7SC1Z3CLvDCEewO8&code_challenge_method=s256&redirect_uri=unityhub%3A%2F%2Flogin&locale=en_US

when I am already logged in on the https://unity.com/.

When I am logged out on the website, the prompt opens login page, but the Unity Hub is still in "Sign in" mode.

Specifications: Linux (Ubuntu 20.04), wanted to do ROS2 workshop tommorow on ROS2-Unity.

47. Tom-Atom

Tom-Atom

1] When I start UnityHub, I just get black rectangle for 2-3 minutes. After that delay content appears,
    2] UnityHub can't sign in. It looks like it doesn't like VPN (btw it looks like Unity web doesn't like VPN recently too - it often refuses to Log In or to open Asset store etc.). It looks like 1] is because of 2]...trying to connect?
    3] If I switch VPN off and click Sign In, it opens browser window and asks which app to use to open UnityHub links etc. I can sign in.
    4] next time I open UnityHub I have to go through above again - switch off VPN, log into Unity, answer browser questions about app for opening links (I am clearing browser caches/history on browser exit. Is this reason? Old UnityHub didn't mind.)
    5] UnityHub says I have Professional license. It is not true. My license is Unity Plus...

New hub looks nice. But, because of above problems, I will downgrade to v2.

48. gumquat

gumquat

Clicking on the names of my project files does not open them anymore? How do I open my projects now?

49. manundi

manundi

After a while of using beta.5 I get logged out. After restarting PC I'm always logged out.

50. lcizzle

lcizzle

After reboot I have to add my license again.

n12901 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.