Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Share your Unity Hub 3.0 Beta Feedback Here

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Jun 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moo-cow-news

moo-cow-news

Maybe add rounded edges?

2. NickVst

NickVst

Hub looks beautiful. I do share the concerns with earlier posters about power users vs. "non-power" users when it comes to space used, but for what it's worth it, it looks amazing to me as non-power user. ;)

I ran into the same "Validation Failed" message as others. I simply fixed the issue by launching the hub as Administrator.

If I were to guess what the issue was, I'd assume it's trying to create C:\Program Files\Unity, as well as any subsequent directories, if they do not exist yet. If they don't exist yet, then the hub needs the privileges for creating those folders, but doesn't have those by default. Further motivating this idea is that UAC pops up in Unity Hub 2.4.x when installing an editor, but UAC didn't pop up when trying to install a Unity version in Unity Hub 3.0.0 .

shauli21, khalil-H, arcshaw99 and 9 others like this.
  3. kanonji

kanonji

Could you increase upper limit of project count from 40?

I had reported this as a bug of Unity Hub v2 and got a response that the limit is 40 is set for a legacy reason, for compatibility with the old launcher but should be changed with Unity Hub v3.
    I have installed 3.0.0-beta.2 and tried to add projects over 40 but there is still upper limit to 40.

4. Inverted101

Inverted101

I get the same issue

EHVB likes this.
  5. aka_anoop

aka_anoop

Unable to choose a location for the project while choosing remote projects. It seem to always default to C: Drive for me

6. invisage

invisage

---FEATURE REQUEST---
    I thought with 3.0 this would be a given, but can we please have a folder/organizational system for projects. Eg I would love to be able to organize my projects by:
    - Old
    - Sandpits
    - Current
    - Tutorials

etc etc

Tide-Dragon likes this.
  7. fsedarkalex

fsedarkalex

The CLI is no longer working.

Trying to show the help:
    upload_2021-7-29_14-38-57.png
    lasts about 5 seconds and shows no help

Trying to do ANYTHING on the CLI leads to infinite wait time:
    upload_2021-7-29_14-40-13.png

moumengadi2126 likes this.
  8. Shoebox11

Shoebox11

killerXT and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Shoebox11

Shoebox11

With the new hub I cannot install the editor, have this problem on 2 different computers. Keep getting an install failed: validation failed. Had to manually download the editor from unity and then point to it's location in order to launch the editor. Tried installing multiple times on both computers but always the same issue. Both running windows 10

ronzxcvbnm and bobjen like this.
  10. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi. I really like the new UI so far!

There are a few things I would like to have:

1. A link to the release notes. In the old versions, we had a link to the latest release/beta channel. It would be great to have them back, or even having release notes per verson.

2. There would be nice to have an option to install older versions
    upload_2021-7-30_9-21-34.png

3. Instead of Open, the old behavior with Adding the project was way better.
    upload_2021-7-30_9-22-37.png

4. This seems to be a bug, the latest path is not remembered
    upload_2021-7-30_9-23-16.png

Keep up the good work!

RunninglVlan and bberrevoets like this.
  11. mysteerio91

mysteerio91

Option to choose default location for projects would be very nice. I don't want to use my C-drive, and I definitely don't always remember to change the location when making new project.

bberrevoets and Xarbrough like this.
  12. aaydogan

aaydogan

There is a "login" bug, i need to login every single time when I open Unity or restart the PC,
    And every single time "services" turned off and i dont realize it, and I published the game without Unity analytics

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    ntw222367 likes this.
  13. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

This fixed the problem! Thanks!

14. DrummerB

DrummerB

15. codestage

codestage

The beta looks awesome, so many UX improvements, keep it up!

Though I'm personally reverting to the 2 version until Visual Studio Community always enabled checkbox bug will be fixed.

16. romzocker

romzocker

Is there any way to go back to the white UI? It looks worse now and it's harder to read the text.

17. Jattier

Jattier

Download throttling would be nice. On a PC, I can throttle the download speed of a given process with a third-party app I purchased called NetLimiter. No such item exists on a Mac that I'm aware of. That other big game engine company allows it, as well.

Here's a typical use case. I'm upgrading my version of Unity. I'm on a DSL line (yes, some of us out there still don't have fiber) so I have limited bandwidth. I want to do something else while it's downloading, such as watch some videos on Unity Learn or catch up on Unity videos on YouTube. I can't. The hub is consuming all of my available bandwidth. If I could set the hub to download at an arbitrary rate, such as 1mbps, 2mbps, 1500kbs or whatever, I could do more than one thing while it downloads for an hour.

18. Ruchir

Ruchir

Some more things to adjust would be:
    • Add a way to remove modules from an install, currently, we can only add new modules and can't remove any.
    • Add a confirmation dialogue to actions like installing a unity version, currently, it just starts uninstalling it without confirmation which leads to unfortunate mishaps.
    • Fix the HDRP and URP template for beta versions, it's getting really annoying now, to update and fix all of the packages manually everytime we create a new prototype project for beta-testing.

19. TV4Fun

TV4Fun

The beta on Windows 10 doesn't have the ability to disable installing Visual Studio 2019 with an editor install (the option is greyed out). I think this is causing a validation error for me because I already have Visual Studio 2019 installed.

20. Mikhail94

Mikhail94

Good update in terms of UI. Finally, an old bug has been fixed when the account icon showed two characters, and not one, when only the first name was set in the account settings.

But the ability to limit the download speed is still sorely lacking. I have a slow internet connection, and downloading without speed limits turns off the internet on all devices on the local network.

Ruchir and TV4Fun like this.
  21. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

It's just an UI flaw telling you that VS is already installed. Poor decision on their end, but everything works...

TV4Fun and codestage like this.
  22. Kaegun

Kaegun

I have the Enterprise version of VS, so really don't need the Community Edition. Please do not enable this by default ot allow me to deselect it.

Wwail and TV4Fun like this.
  23. Kaegun

Kaegun

I also can't seem to remove a module after it has been installed.

24. a1-programmer

a1-programmer

I already have Visual Studio installed, but the latest v3 beta won't let me deselect it when installing a new engine version. I don't want to download an additional 1.3 GB. Is this a bug, or is the hub detecting that I don't have a latest version or all the required features?

25. akent99

akent99

I just downloaded 3.0.0-beta2 and created to create a new 3D project. It said
    upload_2021-8-2_23-41-14.png

I went back to Hub 2.4.5 and it shows
    upload_2021-8-2_23-45-48.png

So maybe I did not pick the editor version or something? (EO-TESTING was the new project I tried to create that failed.)

I would like to create my own template.

Advice for using Cinemachine for movie creation with the new Sequences package was "start a new project per location to keep performance good". But that means I need to create multiple new projects with the same set of packages (and my own package for assets common to all the projects - like characters and props that can move between locations. I was wondering if defining my own project templates would help with that (although perhaps there is a better way...?)

UPDATE: I am less convinced templates are sufficient to solve my problem. They help, but there is just a problem of sharing Assets/ files between projects with Unity. (I am using symlinks now.)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  26. memelab

memelab

Used Unity Hub 3.0.0-beta.2 to install 2021.1.16f1. Install seemed to go OK, but creating or opening a project immediately failed with "Could not find Unity Package Manager local server application...." There was in fact no Package Manager executable at the path noted in the error. Installing with Hub 2.4.5 was fine.

27. sietse-8D-games

sietse-8D-games

Used Unity Hub 3.0.0-beta.2, but I had to roll back to the previous version:
    • Could not install any Unity installation and had to run the Unity Hub in Administrator mode to be able to (Could not validate error).
    • Could not open drives created with `C:\Windows\System32\subst.exe`, which in previous versions it could.

28. Dmitry_Teglom

Dmitry_Teglom

I really like the update. Everything has become much better. The new design is great, but no version of Unity downloaded from the new Hub works as expected.

a1-programmer and Ruchir like this.
  29. n-gist

n-gist

Get used to open projects through system tray context menu, doesn't working on beta.2 (Windows)

30. Syganek

Syganek

When downloading a Remote Project it doesn't ask where to store it locally. It just dumps it to the Documents directory. That's a potentially really bad for people who have not enough space on a system disk. It really should ask for it.

Additionally, please, please, please - give us finally an option to install any version of Unity, not only the newest. Looking for them on the web is so frustrating. Especially that there is no direct link in Hub to them anymore.

31. TigerCollins

TigerCollins

I haven't gone through all the other responses, so don't mind me if it's already been said.

The cleaner more packaged Unity Hub has just made me compare it to the Epic Games Launcher and wish the Asset Store was run through the hub instead of having to use an actual browser.

Other than that, it's fantastic!

32. fsedarkalex

fsedarkalex

dang I missed that (I checked the notes but somehow missed that line...)

33. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

WISH

Ability to
    modify or substitute the default script "81-C# Script-NewBehaviourScript.cs" to each installation via Unity Hub 3 in:

C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2021.1.16f1\Editor\Data\Resources\ScriptTemplates

So that I do not need to manually search for the folder substitute file for every single installation.

LuGus-Jan and bdovaz like this.
  34. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

You don't have to search and modify those files all the time. Create [ScriptTemplates] folder with template files you want and just copy it to [Assets] folder in your new projects

Attached my example template file which I use in all my projects

Attached Files:

mgear and AlanMattano like this.
  35. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I love it! It is much better since can include a custom layout for that particular project!! THX U so much

36. charles1311

charles1311

The Hub looks great. Now please add the ability to pause and resume downloads. Unity downloads are huge and they tend to fail and be corrupted on my not good internet connection.

Also If the internet connection was interrupted for some reason, the downloads won't continue on when the internet is back on.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  37. Rayle2

Rayle2

Hi
    Well new Hub seems great and found a issue as i tried to activate my license using serial key, it was saying serial key invalid while using license request method that worked great and such,
    and License is still throwing error Unable to refresh license please try again

plus Unity Hub with different panels and download, it was refreshing experience.

38. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

In the previous version of the hub, when I added a project and was missing a matching editor installation, I could click the warning label and it would allow me to directly install this version. This option is now missing, which makes it much more tedious to look for the correct version in the download archive and select it manually.

When installing a new editor version and selecting platforms, the previous hub would automatically select sub-item (e.g. select "Android Build Support" and both SDK and JDK were also selected. This was good, because it is the most common use case.

Steven-Slater and jamie_xr like this.
  39. septN

septN

On latest version of Beta Hub as well and have same issue. It's fixed by running Unity Hub as administrator.

But such thing was unnecessary on previous Hub version, when the Hub requires administrator privilege, it would just show that popup windows for Admin. But on this Beta version, you cannot install any editor at all, unless you start the Hub as admin.

40. Hexane

Hexane

I don't have anything to add other than to thank you guys for working on it! I'm really enjoying the dark theme and the updated visuals. Great job, devs!

41. Art-Leaping

Art-Leaping

For anybody else getting the "Validation Failed" error when trying to install Unity Editor versions, try completely closing Hub then launching it with "Run As Administrator".

42. Spoon92

Spoon92

It would be great if in the "Install Unity Editor" sub-menu there would be a link directly to the release notes of the corresponding Untiy Editor version.
    upload_2021-8-8_20-50-5.png

43. MaratG2

MaratG2

I'm in love with Unity Hub 3.0 beta. Experienced no issues. Thank you for your hard work!

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

So, no beta for Linux?

45. saskenergy

saskenergy

Don't know if this is the right thread for this but there's a bug on the Linux beta Hub that prevents installing other modules. The Windows and Android modules always fail when installing. I reverted back to Hub v2.4.5 and the issue is fixed. Unfortunately, I can't give a detailed bug report since there were no error logs.

46. Pelerin88

Pelerin88

upload_2021-8-9_14-24-8.png

Guys, it's too complex... What if I dont open editor? Why, when I press [X] button on the window title it always hides in tray??!! I pressed "CLOSE" - and I want it to "close" the app get out of memory and do not disturb me in the tray. If I want it to stay opened but get out of my eyes I press [ _ ] - "MINIMIZE" button. If I want it to live in tray after minimizing I would create an option "Leave in tray after minimizing". As an example you can see qbittorrent's behaviour. Also it could be an option "Close to tray" for those who really want it to be hidden in tray after closing.
    Please dont reinvent a wheel and just implement the same behaviour. If you do it - it would be perfect!

47. jamie_xr

jamie_xr

This. 100%. This was a thing ages ago, I have no idea why this was removed!?!?! :confused: Single most useful feature of unity hub.

Steven-Slater and NumberValley like this.
  48. DrummerB

DrummerB

Some feedback:

- Personally, I like the UI and I think it's an improvement.
    - Hub 3 doesn't allow me to unselect VS Community. I don't need it and Hub 2 allowed me to only install the Editor.
    - Hub 2 recently gained the feature to recognize that a project's Editor version is missing and clicking on the warning icon would go straight to the download process. This is missing in Hub 3.
    - Both Hubs do not recognize a change in a project's version (e.g. by checking out a different branch). This results in a missing Editor warning or Hub opening the project with the wrong Editor. Hub should update the displayed project versions. Either by observing the relevant files on OSes/file systems where this is possible or at least update the list when Hub gets focus.
    - When creating a new project, hitting return in the text fields (e.g. project name) does not activate the confirm button and I have to use the mouse.
    - It would be nice to be able to install any version straight from the Hub, without having to go to the archive and finding the Hub link there.

49. Karutaku

Karutaku

Small addition, if you have a project in HUB for a version of Unity you don't currently have installed to the right of the project there is a little warnings icon/button. If you click on that it brings up a window with details on what is wrong. In this case it gives you the option to change which version of Unity the project uses which often could be handy for people. Another seemingly good option would be to offer a shortcut to install the version of unity which the project uses. Thanks for keeping up the good work on improving Unity and HUB!

Luxxuor, BruceBurnham and Thasan like this.
  50. Thasan

Thasan

Found a bug, possibly already reported.
    When opening project without correct version of unity installed Unity Hub gives popup "Editor version not installed" and if clicking "Choose another Editor version" whole window goes black and have to be restarted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.