Search Unity

Feedback Share your Unity Hub 3.0 Beta Feedback Here

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Jun 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickPix

RickPix

I can't select target anymore!!!!! Right back to old version

2. piersb

piersb

No light mode?

[Rolls straight back again]

NumberValley likes this.
  3. SLAVETRADERJKLOLCAPINGNOTCAPING

SLAVETRADERJKLOLCAPINGNOTCAPING

it went from the old boring ui to when i downloaded this i was like a update well just do it then i did not open it so when i opened the unity hub i looked at the login i was say deyom

Attached Files:

4. LuGus-Jan

LuGus-Jan

Here to chime in that I'm also experiencing the re-import issue each time I open up my main project for work and it adds the collab package. This is in Unity 2018.4.34f1. I haven't tried on other Unity versions though. So it's currently unusable for me.

xavier-ateo and maxthecat like this.
  5. Shpekster

Shpekster

3 suggestions:
    - Fix the drag and drop of project folders into the hub window. It's not working - the cursor changes properly but when you drop the folder nothing happens.
    - Get the light theme back (as an option)
    - Have user resizeable columns in the project list

6. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback, we are investigating the issue.
    Are Services enabled for the project (does the project have Unity Project ID)?

7. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Thank you for sharing this, our team is currently investigating the issue.

Does the project have Unity Project ID (are Services enabled for your project)?

8. VOTRUBEC

VOTRUBEC

I think the new look is great, but has regressed in some ways. Obviously these are just my opinions, but the new Hub just feels more 'awkward'. Important information seems to be less prominent, and the UI is initially less than obvious. Options that could be accessed with one or two mouse clicks seem buried a level deeper. I'd like to put my finger on it more succinctly, but for now, I've just thrown together a quick mockup of some of the issues I initially encountered. I'm not a graphic designer, so excuse the mockup, but hopefully some of the points get across.

I don't think that having a Long Term Support list, with a list of Unity versions, with a LTS badge next to each makes much sense. It's redundant. Instead, I think a single list, ordered on major and minor version, just showing the latest patch, would be good. The LTS Badge would indicate with versions are LTS, obviously, and for brand new users, a Recommended badge would stop 90% of new users asking "which version to install?"

The greyed out Install button gave me half a second of confusion. The button is the same, just coloured differently. Either make the button way less visible, or remove the button altogether and replace with "Installed" as shown in the image.

Just as you do in the editor, have an options setting allowing you to see preview versions in the install list. Possibly with a "Beta" badge, similar to the Package Manager.

Generally, the interface has gone for a bulkier UI feel, but now there less information on the screen. Someone before mentioned "power users". Surely there's a happy medium, having the nicer interface paired with more information on the screen.
    upload_2021-7-14_11-50-24.png

9. rhys_vdw

rhys_vdw

It seems that 3.0.0-beta1 is forcing unity collaborate on us, causing much confusion and triggering unwanted package updates (for some reason we're forced to update ProBuilder when opening Unity? I suspect this is a side-effect of reimporting our library? Not sure).

I've added
    .collabignore
    to our
    .gitignore
    and removed the dependency on
    com.unity.collab-proxy
    , but every time one of our devs opens the project we get these changes:

upload_2021-7-14_13-18-36.png
    File changes on open

I could potentially ignore this change, but it also adds blue icons to our project folder and I'm worried that now our project is somehow syncing with an unauthorised remote (no idea how collaborate works, don't want to know). How can an asset have a status if I've never made a commit to collaborate before?

upload_2021-7-14_13-27-21.png
    The new icons

Additionally I'm concerned by reports of a user in Unity discord who, when opening the project via Unity Hub 3, had an old version of his project downloaded from collaborate (which he'd disabled months prior) and his assets written over (reportedly breaking his project and deleting work).

Also this forcible change of the manifest causes a (UI blocking) update when we open the project.

Generally speaking I expect my project to behave the same so long as the same version of Unity is opened. Given that any team member could open a project with any version of the launcher, this is both surprising and worrying to me. This is the kind of problem that
    ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt
    in tandem with Unity Hub should prevent.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    JesOb, xavier-ateo, vertxxyz and 2 others like this.
  10. itotakayuki

itotakayuki

Never force to install VIsual Studio Community.

I am a corporate user and using Visual Studio Professional.
    We cannot use Visual Studio Community due to its licensing limitation.

11. Baste

Baste

Using this button:
    upload_2021-7-14_11-12-3.png

, and then selecting a project I haven't worked on in a while gives:

upload_2021-7-14_11-8-7.png

If I exit this dialogue, the project I searched for on the hard drive doesn't get added to the list of projects. That's a regression from the "Add" button in the old version. Now I have to install the project and then go search again.

Also, holy moly, why doesn't that popup have a "Install Unity 2019.3.3f1" button? It's so F***ing clunky to have to go to google, search for "Unity archive", find the version, install it in the hub, and then go back to where I was when the Hub should be perfectly capable of just grabbing that version automatically.

JesOb, JoNax97, Neonage and 2 others like this.
  12. Sinyavtsev

Sinyavtsev

I've faced the same problem as rhys_vdw !
    This was completely unexpected behavior.
    Switching back to production for now.

Otherwise looks great!

maxthecat likes this.
  13. adarshdesai

adarshdesai

hi guys please introduce light mode and also pause and resume editor download

14. Mad-hotdog

Mad-hotdog

I'm also experiencing the Unity collab issues that other people are reporting. On top of that though I also have a modified version of TextMesh Pro in my projects, when opening the project with the hub 3 beta it seems to detect this and import an additional package copy of TextMesh Pro which breaks compilation.

maxthecat likes this.
  15. akarpinski_unity

akarpinski_unity

I have the same issue with beta hub. After investigation turns out, Unity editor starting parameters are different from with hub 2.4. It forces Unity not to start package manager (I suspect), and it doesn't include any packages in the initial project compilation.

In most "bigger" projects, this triggers compilation failure. This means if I have any DLL which is referencing things like UnityEngine.UI it will fail to import and will fail to compile project.

After Unity starts, all packages are included in compilation again and projects is ok, but we need to wait for compilation twice to finish and to fix any intermediate problems that occurred because packages were not included. It also reverts any changes to Packages/manifest.json and packages-lock.json. Any services I had set up are randomly enabled / disabled. For me, it enabled collab but disabled crash reporting.

Gennady and rhys_vdw like this.
  16. kostavas

kostavas

I like The New look but when I installed Unity 2020.3.14 It installed the editor but then it told me that it completed with errors and all Build Support Setups(Like Windows Build Support (IL2CPP) and Android Build Support) Started In The Backround.

NumberValley likes this.
  17. nyunesu

nyunesu

Hey, sorry if it's been reported before, haven't had the chance to read everything.
    You can't create repositories in the disk root folder (C:/, D:/, so on...) it treats the `/` as an invalid path

18. atomjke

atomjke

I have a problem here with the hub, clicked to install 2020.3.14f1 and in the list of modules only ticked "android support" without sdk's cause i already have installed another version of unity with sdk's, then i deleted older unity version with sdk's and wanted to install sdk and jdk to the latest version, and then i see that its not possible, it shows like i have it installed already while its not true, as you can see on screenshot its not clickable. I guess it should not work like this.

NumberValley likes this.
  19. Krajca

Krajca

I don't know if it was mentioned, just looked quickly on images in thread but the tray menu doesn't open the project (right click on tray icon) and as someone mentioned already there is no option to quickly install the required version of unity as were before.

20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Have been using the beta for a couple of days without any issues now. Dark mode is a welcome addition!

So far the only things that irks me is the fact that the hub no longer automatically closes after selecting a project to open. Right now I have to adopt the habit of closing the hub immediately, and hope the editor doesn't pop up the moment I press the "X", and inadvertently close that instead.

Rotary-Heart likes this.
  21. PhaxeNor

PhaxeNor

Can confirm. Unable to create project at disk root.

3dEnUJqeETPP05.png JNE7jO0HXaLpYr.png

22. davidsamacoits

davidsamacoits

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your feedback! There's actually an option in Preferences > Appearance to decide if you want to hide the Hub when the editor opens.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.42.47 AM.png

StaggartCreations likes this.
  23. BlackDragonBE

BlackDragonBE

Trying to open a project that was created with a version of Unity that isn't installed results in this screen:

upload_2021-7-14_20-19-56.png

If I click on the "Choose another Editor version" button/link, I get a blank screen:

upload_2021-7-14_20-20-52.png

This should really be a top priority, opening projects should be essential along with creating new projects.

ibyte and AnteNomspa like this.
  24. nyonge

nyonge

Hi! This is purely an aesthetic thing (apologies if this has already been posted) - please make Dark Mode optional.

As a very visual person with an often-cluttered desktop, I like using the skin of an app to tell at-a-glance what I'm using the app for. Dark Mode's great, but I really wish I could turn it off :)

25. atomjke

atomjke

Found another bug that forced me to switch to production hub: i made some post above about problem with modules, after all i just removed all versions of unity and tried to reinstall the latest one, as result ive got a popup error with that text:

i tried to reboot, clean cache, delete unity manually, also downloaded and installed android support manually, ofc used admin rights etc and nothing worked, always had this error at the end of installation. then switched to production version and it worked fine. I looked at hub logs and there was no problems, all messages are "ANDROID support and SDK's intall: SUCCESS". Not sure what could be a reason for that, does anybody with the same problem exist ?

26. saevioapps

saevioapps

I am unable to install any Editor version: "Download Failed Request Timeout". I was unable to install on Hub 2.4.3. Same on V3!

Attached Files:

27. AnteNomspa

AnteNomspa

Having the same problem, and once I switched back to the Production version, the button to Add new releases wasn't working anymore too!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  28. AnteNomspa

AnteNomspa

Personally I think one of the main reasons why the Hub exists (installing other Unity versions) should enable me to install every archived version straight from the Hub itself. Now I still need to go to the Download Archive website and select my version there. It should be so more convenient if I can choose all other versions (under Pre-releases) from within the Hub. Now it only shows one beta version.

When I do select it from the Download Archive, a Popup stays visible (see screenshot) while the older version is downloading. Since you don't need that popup anymore on that point, it would be more logical to close the popup so I can better see the download progress ...

Unity Hub Screenshot 2021-07-15 070348.png

bdovaz likes this.
  29. Neonage

Neonage

Here's my nagging:

upload_2021-7-15_12-40-41.png

upload_2021-7-15_12-39-57.png
    upload_2021-7-15_13-13-2.png

Next issue is caused by ReviOS bug - "system fails to properly recognize a working internet connection. It's still possible to access the internet like you normally would, but certain features are locked out"

Try again button doesn't actually try... (issue not present in Hub 2.4.4)

upload_2021-7-15_9-59-45.png

30. Cascho01

Cascho01

Destroyed my project (Auto-Reset to last Collab-Submit?). :eek:
    Auto-Reimports project. :confused:

I went back to 2.4.4

31. mattiascibien

mattiascibien

Unfortunately, the fact that I am forced to donwload and install VS Community while I already have Profesional already installed is kind of a deal braker. Also should not be required for ones that use rider/vscode.

firstuser likes this.
  32. NumberValley

NumberValley

Hey! Where is a light theme? Ohh.. my eyes!

33. LE-Peter

LE-Peter

1- The Hub still doesn't work across multiple Windows logins.
    With Hub v3.0 it's even worse than before, now if it isn't closed properly in LoginA.. when trying to open it in LoginB it just gives a sign in screen, and the close button doesn't close it.

2- When logging in, the hub now uses the browser to get your currently logged in account. Instead of ye know.. giving you the u/n, p/w login screen so you can login to any account you want... I need to be able to swap between my work login and my personal login, and not have this additional step with the browser messing things up - this is piss poor UX!

34. Siberdt

Siberdt

It's really weird... I can't just change the project platform without opening it.

And the black theme phisically annoys my old eyes, especially in my neat light Windows 11 :)

upload_2021-7-15_12-43-3.png

ROBYER1 likes this.
  35. Ejlersen

Ejlersen

• Windows title bar doesn't match windows.
      • Doesn't match windows color
      • Icon sizes for minimize, maximize and so on., are the wrong size
      • Wrong font and font color
      • Doesn't show windows border
    • Projects listing
      • Allow for column width adjustments
        • Auto-size increases size of less interesting columns, like "Modified"
      • Toggle to enable/disable "Name" split to "Name" and "Path"
        • Splits path into its own column, which reduces readability for long paths
        • Path is very interesting, but usually cut short, due to bad auto-size behavior
        • The split has a lot of wasted space
      • Allow using entire screen for columns, don't center it to some arbitrary max size
      • Reduce padding (not using Unity Hub on a tablet or phone)
    • Installs listing
      • Remove Unity icon
        • It is basically the same for all of them, so why have it?
      • Show list of all Unity versions available for install from the hub
        • Only shows latest
        • Why isn't this a tab? Why a button?
      • Not all modules listed by installs makes sense
        • Windows build support (IL2CPP) and Universal Windows Platform Build support are displayed only as "Windows"
        • Why not show icons for the platforms, where possible?

36. pointcache

pointcache

After launching existing project with collab disabled through new beta hub, the project magically got its collab enabled and scared the hell out of me when it started downloading something, so i had to terminate the process.
    No thanks.

firstuser and Ejlersen like this.
  37. pointcache

pointcache

Can anyone @Unity explain whats the deal (is this some new shovelware company policy?) with injecting your packages? Collab, some TMP updates whatever, why does hub, a damn launcher, even have the capacity to affect the project in any way? It should be disabled at API level for security, its common sense.

This is a fiasco, you should disable the download of the 3.0 on the cdn, until you can remove all the mentions of this version from existing launcher. And only introduce it when you fix all these issues.

firstuser and Ejlersen like this.
  38. cangkts

cangkts

After i upgraded and tried to install a new editor, android support always fails with " Failed to delete old android support files". And as soon as i returned to 2.4.4 and reinstalled, problem vanished.

parsue likes this.
  39. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Major issue with adding projects to hub - the 'Open' button adds the project but also opens it instantly without giving you the choice of what platform build target to open it for.

Opening a freshly copied project on a new computer where I want to open the project in a build target like IOS or Android means I have to wait for the project to open before switching the build target within the editor which incurs ANOTHER lengthy reimport of all the assets.

There should be the option to simply add the project to the list of projects rather than just opening them instantly

firstuser likes this.
  40. Josh65

Josh65

New projects should take the company name from the attached user account rather than it being auto set to "DefaultCompany"

41. firstuser

firstuser

Strongly disagree, this assumption is going to be incorrect in a lot of cases and will be leaking irrelevant info into projects if it is auto set from the attached user account.

LE-Peter likes this.
  42. Josh65

Josh65

Pulling from the "organisation" field from the attach user account is what i meant and it wouldn't be leaking information since its blank by default and what the user would likely put there anyway,

43. Csabapok

Csabapok

I love the new UI and the dark theme is also great with it, much cleaner for me!

44. punk

punk

Here's my Experience with the new Hub 3.0 Beta 1, saw it thinking I'll give it ago

GOOD
    1. Dark theme hurray finally

BAD - sorry this is where it all went downhill

just for context I have a big game project I've been working on for 10 years+ its around 250GB in size.
    When I opened the project it went into safe mode saying there were errors. Errors mostly saying that various scripts were missing references to the built in unity namespaces such as UI etc, at the time I never put 2 and 2 together just thinking my project had gone crazy as it does occasionally.

As I was searching online for the problem eventually the project would crash with an out of memory error whilst just sitting there in safe mode, I spent all day yesterday trying to debug it and released that unity just kept consuming memory whilst in safe mode until I ran out of system memory and then crashed and I have 128GB so it took about 10 minutes.

So I tried skipping safe mode, the project would open - broken saying it was Checking for changes and then after reimporting 1 hour later it was all fixed. Except there were blue icons everywhere - which turned out to be collaborate.

I've never used collaborate, I use git, so it was strange I checked the settings, and it was turned off. I turned it on and off and the icons disappeared. Cool

Restarted and it would go through the same process - Checking for changes and then after reimporting 1 hour later it was all fixed. Even tho collaborate was definitely off. Checked the project settings in a text file editor and Collab had a :1 next to it, so I changed to 0. Unfortunately it didn't work, there was no way to stop collaborate from doing its stuff, which in my case took an hour to just open the project!

Then I remembered seeing the word source control on the project name in Hub. This made me think to reinstall the non beta version and my project went back to normal opens fine takes about a minute as per usual.

The new hub seems to force Collaborate to be locked on and for me is completely unusable, I blew a day on it, which is fine, but I thought I'd take the time to report my findings because holy moly that's ceeeeeeerrrrrazy! :) and also just in case it happens to someone else.

guys and gals at unity what ever you're doing in 3 don't do that ^ o_O

I see I'm not the only one!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  45. SSArts

SSArts

Even I am facing the same issue the. I am trying to install 2020.3.14f1 and 2021.1.15f1, but at the editor application it is showing that "Install failed: Validation Failed". Can some one figure this out.

Attached Files:

46. firstuser

firstuser

I understand, I'm still opposed to the idea, I don't think it scales well outside of very specific use cases where the organization name is verbatim what you need in that field. I'd much rather it just be left as a generic "DefaultCompany" which needs to be explicitly set than have this assumption made for me and not catch it.

LE-Peter likes this.
  47. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

This new hub version doesn't appear to solve the issue on OSX where a separate instance of Visual Studio 2019 can't be opened for each Unity project that is open - this was also raised to your team by Microsoft and I have a tracked issue for it here.

It's a pretty glaring issue on OSX whereas on Windows 10 you can have an instance of Visual Studio 2019 open for each project you have open just fine.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/No-way-to-have-a-new-instance-of-Visual-/1395152

Main thread on it here https://forum.unity.com/threads/multiple-instance-of-visual-studio.974205/#post-7024444

48. TieSKey

TieSKey

Wow, I agree with almost all feedback and constructive criticism given.
    I feel the hub is being designed with a "fashion" mindset instead of an "engineering/utility" one. This is a little program to aid dev, nobody want's to spend more than a few seconds on it, plz prioritize function over form.

That being said, and this applies to v3 and v2 as well, the installs items are really hard to differentiate from one another.
    The icon is always the same which makes u wonder why wasting space in an unity icon for each install....
    The name of the install is 90% the same with only 2-5 numbers changing, which are in the middle of a long string and thus very hard to spot.

I'm not a designer but I'd like something like this. The mayor version icons can be clicked to enable or disable the list of dependent versions.

draw.io_2021-07-17_01-49-14.png

Installing a new version could be integrated on the same window. You click on the mayor version icon to expand it, then on a "show all" or simply a "down arrow" to see a new item for each existing version and then click on the "Install" button that belongs to the item.

(The mock is out of scale ofc)

JesOb and firstuser like this.
  49. timlea50

timlea50

I'll be honest here - I was so looking forward to trying out unity and I have had nothing but disappointment with the whole installation process. I have seen various forums highlighting the same issue. I have downloaded and run the hub program to download the editor install - and I just get "in progress" with the download and just nothing. I have re-booted three times, have even tried downloading beta version and it just hangs in the download. I have tried for nearly 3 days - suffice to say I am extremely disappointed and my excitement has deeply waned. The final message that came back was install failed validation failed. I am trying to remain positive and it anyone can shed any light I would be very grateful (windows 10) In the interim, I will try one final time and will just give up and explore other options.

50. punk

punk

Don't use the 3.0 Beta hub, use the 2.4.4 one the Beta seems bust, I would also use the 2020 LTS version of unity, its more stable - Good Luck

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.