Search Unity

Feedback Share your Unity Hub 3.0 Beta Feedback Here

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Jun 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks for coming here to share some feedback and ideas. First, a few things to keep in mind:

• Hub 3.0 Beta 1 should work for your daily needs. If you spot something from the latest V2 version but that’s not working, please log a bug through Bug Reporter within the Hub.

• Some known bugs are documented in the Release Notes page, which also outlines features we’re working on for next versions.

Many people at Unity have contributed to bringing V3 to life. With your Beta feedback, we will make our products even better for you, and others like you.

So join in the transformational journey for Unity Hub. Share your ideas with us here.

We love feedback - good AND bad! So don’t hold back (we know you won’t )

Thank you!

The Hub Team

UPDATES:

Jan. 10 2022 - Hub 3.0.0

Good news! Hub V3.0.0 just landed and you can read the release notes here.

We really appreciate the feedback shared in that thread and will continue to look at it and be all ears to make the Hub better. In the meantime, this thread will be closed as it was created for 3.0.0 beta specifically but we encourage you to continue to share on this forum!

Thank you!

Dec. 13 2021 - Hub 3.0 Beta 7

What's new:

• On Linux, Hub is now distributed through RPM and Debian repositories. You can find more information and documentation here
    Bug Fixes & Improvements:
    • Fixed pixelated icon on Windows
    • Project opening now correctly hides Hub according to Preferences
    • Adding missing WebGL module during First Time User flow
    • Fixed window controls on Linux
    • Fixed license activation on Windows 7
    • Added back “Open Unity Hub” option in tray menu when no license is activated
    • Support for all services-config.json flags. More information here
    • Fixed metadata for templates sometimes showing up incorrectly
    • Improved Visual Studio Community 2019 detection
    • Fixed project files or folders locked by Hub
    • Added support for spaces in advanced project settings arguments
    • Fixed login in editor after the computer was put to sleep
    • UI improvements in projects list, trucating/wrapping editor version when needed, and in modals requiring scrolling
    • Fixed deleted projects reappearing after restart
    • Android modules downloaded with the Hub now include API level 30 support
    • Fixed detection of installed Apple silicon editors

Oct. 25 2021 - Hub 3.0 Beta 6

What's new:

Install new Apple silicon Editor:
    • Download and install Apple silicon Editors through the Hub
      • Note: Currently, Hub only supports the installation of either Apple Intel or Apple silicon Editors at a time for a given version. Concurrent or “side-by-side” workflows will be available soon
    • Visual badge/label to distinguish Apple Intel vs. Apple silicon editors
    • Apple silicons Editors are also available through CLI
    Bug Fixes & Improvements:
    • Fixed FTU so that license modal still appears when locating an existing editor
    • Fixed FTU learn microgame promotion if there are no microgames available for the installed editor
    Linux
    • Improved support and better integration. Download the latest .tgz archive for Linux available here: https://unity.com/download and check out the README file for instructions on how to run the scripts provided
    • Fixed slowness when opening Hub
    License Management
    • Increased timeout for licensing initialization, helping slower machines to set up correctly
    • Fixed folder error creation for license activation
    Onboarding Flow
    • Updated installation step on Linux to reflect the real storage available
    Projects
    • Fixed templates not loading offline for project creation after they’ve been downloaded
    • Fixed duplicated remote projects
    • Added the possibility to choose a location for remote projects before downloading them
    • Fixed remote projects not loading properly when signed out
    • Improved search for templates in New Project creation flow
    • Removed add platforms option for located editors
    • Fixed New Project creation error fields
    Download and Installs
    • Fixed Apple silicon Editors not being detected after restarting Hub
    • Added a way to visually identify installations that failed
    • Improved validation checks during installation
    • Fixed Android modules installation
    Other

Sep. 29 2021 - Hub 3.0 Beta 5

Bug Fixes & Improvements

Fixing and improving the Hub CLI (experimental feature) :
    • Ability to install an editor from version (--version/-v) or changeset (--changeset/-c) with/without modules (--module/-m)
    • Ability to add modules to an existing editor (--module/-m)
    • Ability to get and set the user's current install location
    • Added clear instructions on how to run Hub CLI with the help command
    Onboarding Flow:
    • Fixed FTU so that license modal still appears when locating an existing editor
    • Fixed FTU learn microgame promotion if there are no microgames available for the installed editor
    Projects:
    • Fixed duplicated projects with alternating slashes in Windows
    • Added refresh to the latest list of available editors to install when there is an update
    • Improved handling of remote projects, refreshing “Source Control” label when needed
    • Added default sorting for remote projects
    Download and Installs:
    • Added “Installed” label to already installed modules & removed the disabled checkbox leading to confusing UX
    • Added tooltips to content that is truncated in the download drawer
    • Added informational message when adding a module to a located editor (not supported behaviour)
    • Updated copy for download items in the download drawer (downloading to in progress)
    Linux:
    • Added case-insensitive project name check for Linux project creation to prevent project overwrite by the Editor on creation
    • Fixed Linux module download failures because of missing internal dependencies
    • Fixed bug reporter for CentOS
    Other:
    • Under the hood updates to improve security and stability
    • UI Optimizations

Aug. 27 2021 - Hub 3.0 Beta 4

Bug Fixes & Improvements
    • Fixed licensing issues

Aug. 26 2021 - Hub 3.0 Beta 3

What's new:

First time user experience
    • Introducing a newly tailored experience, helping users to install an editor and get a license if they don’t have one already
    Preferences
    • New option to set your default location for project creation. Default project location is used for new projects and remote projects
    • Added trailing dots to path locations in preferences
    Installs
    • New “Archives” tab in the install modal, providing quick access to the archive website while working on a fully integrated archives database in Hub coming later this year
    Projects
    • New option to add a project from disk without opening it
    Bug Fixes & Improvements
    • Fixed tray menu not being properly translated
    • Fixed tray menu not updating with license return
    • Fixed available size for external drive when selecting root folder on macOS
    • Fixed templates version resolution causing errors on launch and in the console
    • Fixed error causing the path to be invalid if it was the disk root
    • Fixed sub modules installation when Android parent module was already installed
    • Fixed data mismatches for templates
    • Stopped translating default project name as it was causing problems with non-latin characters
    • Fixed download size and size on disk for module
    • Solved issue causing Hub to go blank when choosing another editor version for a project
    • Fixed project opening from tray menu
    • Fixed tray menu not closing properly on Windows when Hub was quitting
    • Renamed Universal Windows Platform for UWP
    • Changing offline message in Community tab to be more specific
    • Fixed PlasticSCM project opening through Hub
    • Fixed installation validation on Windows preventing users to install Unity for the first time
    • Improved welcome video modal size and enabled full-screen viewing

Jul. 22, 2021 - Hub 3.0 Beta 2

Bug Fixes & Improvements
    • Fixed collab projects so extra packages are not added by default and projects are not reimported all the time
    • Repaired communications with the editor potentially leading to excessive API calls
    • On Mac, reintroduced capability for Hub to install VisualCode with additional rights that enable development workflows

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  2. Brathnann

Brathnann

Ability to adjust column width would be nice.
    Mouse over a project path that is longer than the field width should have a popup with the full path.
    The new list view for the Unity installed versions isn't bad, but I do miss the tiled look from the previous version. An option to switch between the two would be nice.

3. Sailendu

Sailendu

The new update is awesome!!! I really like the new design. Kudos to the team.

I have just one minor request, on macOS please make the hub icon look like the new Big Sur style icons, rounded corner, that would make it look in line with other icons. It's not a big issue, just a personal preference.

4. keveleigh

keveleigh

Official Microsoft Employee

So far, this new version has been great!
    One thing I've noticed is that both Windows Standalone and UWP just show up as "Windows" in the version selector, which is a bit confusing

upload_2021-7-8_11-5-3.png

5. I guess no more light theme? I am a VERY sad panda. Please tell me you are planning to add it.

arrendek, Doh09, nesalisgames and 6 others like this.
  6. Brathnann

Brathnann

upload_2021-7-8_13-45-3.png
    In the release notes. :)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just updated to 3.0 and I face this issue in the license section..

Screenshot 2021-07-08 214721.png

it seems that my "Personal" license will expire someday.. but it's funny that when that happen I'm probably dead! LOL!!

8. fherbst

fherbst

So many regressions! Seems you optimized for newcomers and against power users, yet again.

1. Creating projects is now WAY slower:
    - creating new projects now is click-move-click-scroll-move-click-move-click-type-click
    - before: click-click-type-move-click

I understand that this "looks nice" when presented to a manager but it's horrible for daily workflow.

2. The installation list is now bloated and takes 3-4x more space than before:
    Before: ~24 Editor installations fit on a screen
    Now: ~8 Editor installations fit on a screen

For reference, I usually need to have 30-50 versions installed at any given time.

3. Preferences like the path where you want to create projects are not remembered anymore (Case 1348978)
    Seems like the "manual QA" was creating exactly one project in exactly the preset location?

4. Items don't have tooltips anymore / Important Info is lost
    The "your editor is not installed" exclamation mark doesn't have a tooltip anymore, you force users to click on them to even see what they want to tell. Before: "quick overview, all info is there" was traded for "bloated UI with extra clicks to get the actual info".
    Also, project path doesn't have a hover anymore to show the full path.

Please add the hover again or use the giant amount of screenspace you have to show the actual project path:
    upload_2021-7-8_21-26-6.png

5. There's load times everywhere, on every try.
    Want to create a project? Wait 10s for all the cool unused templates to load!
    Want to switch the editor version? Rejoice, wait 10s after every editor version change to wait for the cool unused templates to load!
    Best of all? You have to wait for them before you can click the Create button!

Crucial links and info are gone
    No link anymore to the release archive, resulting in me having to google again where the archive is

Feature Requests:

No quick way to see which platform a project is on before I open it, resulting in potentially hours of wasted import times. It got even harder now to set the platform (is hidden beyond yet another sub window).
    Make the displayed editors smaller. On the old UI 50% of space could have been compacted, instead it got bloated by 300% with no added information or value to users.

9. SmirelesWildWorks

SmirelesWildWorks

Do not auto open a project when getting added to the Hub. Give the user to time to set the desired Platform (sometimes projects comes from a different platform from a repository). Auto starting it in an undesired platform force the user to reimport everything twice.
    The current Hub already covers that, do not leave that behind please.

10. lasercannon

lasercannon

Getting a bug with my 2018.4.34f1 project where every time I open the project from beta Hub, all assets get reimported. The build target is set to Windows 64-bit il2cpp. It also looks like the project is suddenly aware of files' git status, which I didn't add?

Overall I'm loving the redesign! Super slick.

11. JacobHaig

JacobHaig

I'm getting an "Install failed: Validation Failed" error while trying to install the most recent Beta. I do not have past installations or projects.

Attached Files:

Nolex, DFEnter, sama-van and 21 others like this.
  12. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

Every time I open a project with the beta, collab-proxy package gets added back for some reason, it doesn't happen in 2.4.4.

Harinezumi and moxisgames like this.
  13. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

For anyone looking for the bug reporter, its under the dropdown clicking on your profile/avatar, then Troubleshooting, then Report a bug

Harinezumi likes this.
  14. KingKRoecks

KingKRoecks

I can't open a project with a different editor version. It just gives a black screen

upload_2021-7-8_18-19-18.png

Clicking "Choose another Editor version" shows this:

upload_2021-7-8_18-19-30.png

angganaro3, joll05, grenias and 14 others like this.
  15. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Hi! Looks like an issue with permissions. Are you able to install most recent Beta using 2.4.4?

16. unity_4744383DE3D7A62CF5EC

unity_4744383DE3D7A62CF5EC

I don't see anything wrong as of right now, looks SO much better with the dark mode too :D

Harinezumi likes this.
  17. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Couldn't test much because it fails to install the latest Unity beta 3.
    I'm on Windows 10.
    Install target "c:\Program Files\Unity\" is a junction (it's a different partition to avoid bloating my backups).
    "c:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Unity\" is a symlink to folder inside the install target partition.

upload_2021-7-8_23-13-18.png

install-log
    Code (CSharp):
    1. {"moduleName":"InstallerWinProcess","level":"info","message":"[ 'trying to connect to the ipc server' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:39:10.465Z"}
    2. {"moduleName":"UnityIPCClient","level":"debug","message":"[ 'connecting to IPC Server Unity-hubInstallServer' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:39:10.465Z"}
    3. {"moduleName":"UnityInstallStepsWindows","level":"debug","message":"[ 'beforeEditorInstallation' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:39:10.501Z"}
    4. {"moduleName":"UnityInstallStepsWindows","level":"debug","message":"[ 'execInstaller' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:39:10.503Z"}
    5. {"moduleName":"UnityInstallStepsWindows","level":"debug","message":"[ 'installFromExe' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:39:10.504Z"}
    6. {"moduleName":"UnityInstallStepsWindows","level":"info","message":"[\n  'install C:\\\\Users\\\\User\\\\AppData\\\\Local\\\\Temp\\\\unityhub-ec26b910-e023-11eb-b5a7-f36581ca3e22\\\\UnitySetup64-2021.2.0b3.exe /S /D=C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity\\\\Hub\\\\Editor\\\\2021.2.0b3'\n]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:39:10.504Z"}
    7. {"moduleName":"UnityInstallStepsWindows","level":"warn","message":"[\n  Error: Command failed: \"C:\\Users\\User\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\unityhub-ec26b910-e023-11eb-b5a7-f36581ca3e22\\UnitySetup64-2021.2.0b3.exe\" /S /D=C:\\Program Files\\Unity\\Hub\\Editor\\2021.2.0b3\n  \n      at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:312:12)\n      at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)\n      at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)\n      at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16)\n      at Socket.<anonymous> (internal/child_process.js:443:11)\n      at Socket.emit (events.js:315:20)\n      at Socket.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)\n      at Pipe.<anonymous> (net.js:674:12) {\n    killed: false,\n    code: 2,\n    signal: null,\n    cmd: '\"C:\\\\Users\\\\User\\\\AppData\\\\Local\\\\Temp\\\\unityhub-ec26b910-e023-11eb-b5a7-f36581ca3e22\\\\UnitySetup64-2021.2.0b3.exe\" /S /D=C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity\\\\Hub\\\\Editor\\\\2021.2.0b3'\n  }\n]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:41:36.177Z"}
    8. {"moduleName":"UnityIPCClient","level":"debug","message":"[ 'disconnected from Unity-hubInstallServer' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:44:46.170Z"}
    info-log
    Code (CSharp):
    1. {"moduleName":"InstallerWinProcess","level":"info","message":"[ 'trying to connect to the ipc server' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:39:10.465Z"}
    2. {"moduleName":"UnityInstallStepsWindows","level":"info","message":"[\n  'install C:\\\\Users\\\\User\\\\AppData\\\\Local\\\\Temp\\\\unityhub-ec26b910-e023-11eb-b5a7-f36581ca3e22\\\\UnitySetup64-2021.2.0b3.exe /S /D=C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity\\\\Hub\\\\Editor\\\\2021.2.0b3'\n]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:39:10.504Z"}
    3. {"moduleName":"UnityInstallStepsWindows","level":"warn","message":"[\n  Error: Command failed: \"C:\\Users\\User\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\unityhub-ec26b910-e023-11eb-b5a7-f36581ca3e22\\UnitySetup64-2021.2.0b3.exe\" /S /D=C:\\Program Files\\Unity\\Hub\\Editor\\2021.2.0b3\n  \n      at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:312:12)\n      at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)\n      at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)\n      at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16)\n      at Socket.<anonymous> (internal/child_process.js:443:11)\n      at Socket.emit (events.js:315:20)\n      at Socket.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12)\n      at Pipe.<anonymous> (net.js:674:12) {\n    killed: false,\n    code: 2,\n    signal: null,\n    cmd: '\"C:\\\\Users\\\\User\\\\AppData\\\\Local\\\\Temp\\\\unityhub-ec26b910-e023-11eb-b5a7-f36581ca3e22\\\\UnitySetup64-2021.2.0b3.exe\" /S /D=C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity\\\\Hub\\\\Editor\\\\2021.2.0b3'\n  }\n]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:41:36.176Z"}
    4. {"moduleName":"UnityInstallerWindows","level":"warn","message":"[\n  'error while installing the Editor! Trying to empty the folder! ',\n  {\n    error: {\n      code: 'INSTALL_ERROR',\n      message: 'Error happened while executing the installer. Aborting.'\n    }\n  }\n]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:41:36.177Z"}
    5. {"moduleName":"Installer: 2021.2.0b3","level":"error","message":"[\n  'Installation failed. Reason: Error: Error while installing the editor 2021.2.0b3 : [object Object]'\n]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:41:48.959Z"}
    6. {"moduleName":"Installer: 2021.2.0b3","level":"info","message":"[ 'Exiting from State: Installation. Event: ERROR' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:41:48.959Z"}
    7. {"moduleName":"Installer: 2021.2.0b3","level":"info","message":"[ 'Transition to state \"install_failed\" on event \"ERROR\"' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:41:48.959Z"}
    8. {"moduleName":"Installation Manager","level":"info","message":"[ 'Update: install_failed' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:41:48.959Z"}
    9. {"moduleName":"Installer: 2021.2.0b3","level":"info","message":"[ 'Entered State: install_failed' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:41:48.960Z"}
    10. {"moduleName":"RestEventRouter","level":"info","message":"[ 'unsubscribing from: license.change' ]","timestamp":"2021-07-08T19:44:46.168Z"}

Edit: This was due of lack of space. The Hub does not take into consideration the space in the actual drive. Instead, of assumes the free space is from C:\
    When you do to install a new Editor version, it shows the free space from C:\, instead of the one from the mounted partition:

This is what the hub shows
    upload_2021-7-13_12-5-48.png

This is the actual size of the partition mounted to "c:\Program Files\Unity\"
    upload_2021-7-13_12-6-56.png

upload_2021-7-13_12-7-19.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  18. jasursadikov

jasursadikov

Hi! New hub looks much better than 2.x! Would there be multiple accounts support in future release?

19. jasursadikov

jasursadikov

I switched to Production channel and came back to beta, and keep seeing this message to downgrade even if I press dismiss...
    upload_2021-7-9_5-41-28.png

gillemp and Harinezumi like this.
  20. paruthi-exe

paruthi-exe

Finally some thing Dark and beautiful.. decent UI design similar to EPIC launcher..
    Can you guys just add a pause and resume option to download, as I'm from low bandwidth internet areas.
    Because of this download crashes in between and have to download again from the start.. so much time, bandwidth and money wasting..

@jasursadikov getting same error.. switched to Production channel and then back to beta

21. saskenergy

saskenergy

I really like the new UI design. The dark theme looks really nice.

As for feedback, I really think being able to continue downloads is a very important feature and should be a priority. I tried exiting the hub and the download progress is gone. Same thing with being able to pause/continue downloads.

FernandoMK, dhunHERO and Gennady like this.
  22. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

mk0a1a, paruthi-exe Thanks for the feedback! Pause and resume is a part of the upcoming releases.

23. allebrandt

allebrandt

_met44, nomadic, NotaNaN and 3 others like this.
  24. Erwinstein

Erwinstein

The new Unity Hub design looks awesome!
    My only issue is that when I install a new Unity version, I can't uncheck the option to install Visual Studio, which can be easily done on the 2.x Unity Hub versions.

upload_2021-7-9_13-23-9.png

If this was something that is required, I have installed VS Community 2019 though, so it should detect that, right?

upload_2021-7-9_13-23-28.png

And yes, I do have the Unity game development workload installed on Visual Studio installer.

upload_2021-7-9_13-23-39.png

I'm afraid it would mess up my current VS installation (and workloads installed) if I proceed to install a new Unity version so I would not do it for now.

25. zezba9000

zezba9000

26. Sailendu

Sailendu

After using it for a day, I am facing a constant bug, every-time i select a project, it triggers a full re-import of the project, which takes a long time, and some packages are automatically added in the package manager, these are some default unity packages that I normally remove from package manager, but removing it every-time I open a project is tedious. These issues are not happening with Hub 2.4.4, I was exited for the dark mode and modern design, but now I have to wait until these basic issues are fixed. But I must say the new Hub is a great step forward.

NotaNaN, coco_dev, Cascho01 and 8 others like this.
  27. Grumpy-Dot

Grumpy-Dot

Moving the window or scrolling through the lists has a weird visual effect on the whole monitor, like showing flashes of white light. I have an odyssey samsung g9 and GeForce 1080 Ti. The previous stable version does not have this effect.

28. Oneiros90

Oneiros90

The new Hub looks beautiful, I'm gonna use it and test it in the next weeks, thanks!
    One thing that I would like to see is a more advanced "editor installs" panel, with release notes and a full list of all available versions (not just LTS).
    Also, it would be nice to have the project icon on each row in the projects sections!

RunninglVlan, amisner2k and Sule like this.
  29. codewing

codewing

Can we have an option to silently ignore patch version differences when opening a project?
    - I'm using 2020.3.10f and the project is using 2020.3.3f
    - I know it works and I don't want to confirm it 3 times when opening the project
    - Since I switch branches often I need to do this very frequently which is why I would love to see such an option

looking forward to your thoughts

AasifHaque likes this.
  30. hessel_mm

hessel_mm

I really don't care about the design of the Unity Hub, I do care about its functionality. If the time I spend in the Hub goes down, it means that it is doing its job well. The 3.0 version is a step back: it doesn't provide better workflows than its predecessor and the existing ones now take more time.

@fherbst puts it very nicely, this part really rings true for me:

I had hoped an update would have streamlined the minor version update installs without deleting and re-downloading all modules again (e.g. updating from 2021.1.12 to 2021.1.14). And also, I would've appreciated it if I could open a project without adding it to the project list.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  31. pahe

pahe

Updated to Hub 3.0.0 b1 on OSX and Windows and got several exceptions when opening my project (VCS Plastic) 'till I switched back to 2.4.4 and then it worked again.

32. Ruchir

Ruchir

Please add a pause button to download or at least make it possible to resume a download if the internet connection fails during download.

33. Ruchir

Ruchir

Currently, we can view the packages included in a template, Make it possible to create custom templates or at least add or remove packages from a selected template.

akent99 and Harinezumi like this.
  34. Ruchir

Ruchir

Also, there seems to be some kind of problem when creating new projects with lates beta (2021.2.0b3), for some reason the templates need to be downloaded for HDRP and URP and there packages shows some weird version for packages:
    upload_2021-7-9_14-30-34.png
    URP:
    upload_2021-7-9_14-30-59.png

AasifHaque likes this.
  35. sandro-ixt

sandro-ixt

I am experiencing the same issue with the collab-proxy package. When I launch my project with Hub 3.0.0-beta.1 the package manager automatically installs that package. Collab-proxy's dependency to Newtonsoft Json conflicts with another package I use and I don't need it.

maxthecat and thelosev like this.
  36. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Some items could use a lot more contrast to make them easier to read.

Could go from this:

to this:

Also what's up with the default new project location? This has been major PITA on Hub 2. It always used folder path for last added or new project and this really messed things up every time you added unity project for some git clone etc path (it literally changed then your default new project path for future projects and they often went to some git folders by accident). But now on Hub 3 it always defaults new projects to C:\Users\Username...

Seriously... this is not the right folder to bloat with these projects at all and this folder is not even configurable (or I missed the option somewhere). It now just defaults to this user folder each time regardless what I do.
    I can't stress enough that this has to change.

There are some issues with basic usability still, for example I tried to make new project with 2021.2.0b3 using 3D template and I got greeted by:

37. shiena

shiena

If you change the language, the new project name will be localized.
    However, paths containing non-ASCII characters will cause errors in the il2cpp build. Therefore, it is preferable not to localize the new project name.

Harinezumi and LooperVFX like this.
  38. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I've asked this in past, but I'd really prefer it if we could just have "Projects location" as option here:

If some people do prefer to swap the new project path all the time, then have additional checkbox for "Remember last used path for new project" etc. These are really easy low hanging fruits that would just make life of engine users better, we shouldn't have to suffer from bad UX for years for basic things like these.

kapturner, aka_anoop, NotaNaN and 8 others like this.
  39. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

Exactly! I am facing the exact same issue.

How come does the Hub is messing with my project? Imagine working on a >100GB project that is being rebuilt (I mean the Library) which takes around 4hours. It's a pretty big price to pay for a dark mode.

NotaNaN, punk, ROBYER1 and 7 others like this.
  40. AasifHaque

AasifHaque

The new design is alright, it looks better than before, more organized.

I agree with many of the users' feedback, here are my suggestions:
    1. Production versions view format (tiles) for each editor version in the Installs tab was very elegant and compact. That view format should be brought back in the Beta version, a switching button would be perfect.
    2. White texts for the titles of the projects and editor versions are little too bright, 10% reduction will be better for eyes and brain.
    3. Hovering mouse pointer on a projects location should show the full path in a gray-background vertically slim popup.
    4. Column widths in the Projects tab should be adjusted by mouse pointer sliders.
    5. There should be an option for choosing default project location above the default install location, also both of the default location should automatically get set to last selected location in this version of the hub/ set location from the Production version.
    6. While installing a editor version, option for installing visual studio is shown as ticked and untickable, its confusing. If the hub detects an installed version of vs, it should untick the option to install vs by default and tick the option to install vs if no version is detected (like it was in the Production version).
    7. Icon for the Beta version is currently black logo on white background (like Production version), it should match the current editors icon and newly added dark theme (white logo on black background).

mariandev and ibyte like this.
  41. konsnos

konsnos

Overall, I really like the new HUB. I would argue it's coherent and will keep testing the next betas as well.

I really wish though that I could check what is the "Current Platform". I mean, what does "Current Platform" mean? It isn't helpful at all.

Attached Files:

futurlab_xbox likes this.
  42. Ruchir

Ruchir

I have always thought it means the platform unity is running on (windows in my case) o_O

43. allebrandt

allebrandt

I miss an option to just "Add Project", so I can search on my computer for a project that is not yet on the list, add it and be able to change the Unity version I'm going to use for that project as well as the default platform before I open it...

Harinezumi likes this.
  44. allebrandt

allebrandt

Still about this, the search field doesn't take into account the folder path, which makes it useless in the case above.

per_b_nielsen likes this.
  45. Magistr_AVSH

Magistr_AVSH

Needed option "use system title bar" instead this custom.
    upload_2021-7-9_16-37-59.png
    Something like how in telegram settings
    upload_2021-7-9_16-40-13.png

LooperVFX and JoNax97 like this.
  46. print_helloworld

print_helloworld

Functionality for the hub to open minimized to the tray on OS boot would be really nice (as a toggle of course). Otherwise, nice UI design.

47. pradotech

pradotech

After first trying Unity Hub V3 Beta, I got "Safe Mode" dialog when opened my project.

upload_2021-7-9_11-15-32.png

I choose to enter safe mode, then after the editor has been loaded, errors dissapeared, but i noticed many resources has not been properly loaded, such as some menu items. Besides that, I got a bottom-right loading bar telling me shaders was beeing compiled, or something like that, but without any response (sorry, I forgot to take a screenshot from that).

So I switched back to Hub 2.4.4 and everything is fine now. I really liked the new Hub, but at this moment is not situable for me.

punk, tduriga, Anthiese and 1 other person like this.
  48. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

yeah! it seems that it breaks some things tremendously since it affects my project after reverting to hub 2.4.4 and cloning out the fresh project from the repo. I know this is a beta release but come on guys!

punk likes this.
  49. timmy2get

timmy2get

Same here

50. ibyte

ibyte

UnityDM_2 and mariandev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.