Search Unity

Official Share your UI Toolkit projects

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by antoine-unity, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Singtaa

Singtaa

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    RyanCantCode, Fep310, tmars and 10 others like this.
  2. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

I've been building a MarkdownElement for UIToolkit in the Editor, powered by xoofx's awesome Markdig library, for use in many of my projects. Currently compatible with Unity 2018-2022

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  3. CareyMcDuff

CareyMcDuff

Could you please explain why Queries should be in OnEnable instead of Awake? Most example I have seen online put the queries in Awake. According to the Unity Manual, OnEnable is called immediately after Awake. Is it that the Visual Tree Asset is not instantiated until OnEnable?

4. JuliaP_Unity

JuliaP_Unity

Unity Technologies

Exactly! For now the implementation of UIDocument only instantiates the root visual element during OnEnable. We have discussed maybe changing the pattern but for now nothing concrete has come of it so that's how it'll work. If you have further questions/discussions you want to have please start a new thread though as we want to keep this one focused on sharing projects :cool:

Eastrall, mariandev and CareyMcDuff like this.
  5. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Making a channel-packer editor tool using UTK and GraphView, still early but promising :)

6. SolarianZ

SolarianZ

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    rawna and RunninglVlan like this.
  7. Dream_Code_TM

Dream_Code_TM

Allows store android keystore between sessions, without manual input everytime.
    Keystore data will be autocomplete on build stage
    GitHub

bb8_1 likes this.
  8. lilacsky824

lilacsky824

I am going to convert UI from UGUI to UITK.
    I use Localization and Zenject package at the same time before.
    So I make a small project to reproduce same function when I use UGUI, Localization and Zenject.
    I write a custom visual element to send Zenject signal to trigger other visual element to display image and description.
    And use Localization to localize description text.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    antoripa, karl_jones and goldbug like this.
  9. Eastrall

Eastrall

Hi,

sorry to bump this thread by replying to my own message, but just want to showcase the new Rosalina feature, which is the possibility to create UI bindings and scripts for Unity's EditorWindow ! :)
    All you have to do is set the "editor-extension-mode" to "true" in the UXML definition or check the "Editor Extension Authoring" checkbox in UI Builder:

This will generate the following UI binding script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // <autogenerated />
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEngine.UIElements;
    6. public partial class CustomEditorWindow : EditorWindow
    7. {
    8.     public Button SampleButton { get; private set; }
    10.     public void CreateGUI()
    11.     {
    12.         VisualTreeAsset asset = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<VisualTreeAsset>("Assets/...");
    13.         VisualElement ui = asset.CloneTree();
    14.         rootVisualElement.Add(ui);
    15.         SampleButton = (Button)rootVisualElement?.Q("SampleButton");
    16.         OnCreateGUI();
    17.     }
    19.     partial void OnCreateGUI();
    20. }
    Then you can override it and control how the window opens by creating a UI Script (with a right click on the UXML file and select "Generate UI Script" under the "Rosalina" menu item) :

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.UIElements;
    5. public partial class CustomEditorWindow : EditorWindow
    6. {
    7.     [MenuItem("Window/My Custom Editor Window")]
    8.     public static void ShowWindow()
    9.     {
    10.         EditorWindow.CreateWindow<CustomEditorWindow>("My Custom Editor Window!");
    11.     }
    13.     partial void OnCreateGUI()
    14.     {
    15.         SampleButton.clicked += OnSampleButtonClicked;
    16.     }
    18.     private void OnSampleButtonClicked()
    19.     {
    20.         Debug.Log("Hello world!");
    21.     }
    22. }
    Final result when clicking on "Window -> My Custom Editor Window":

Check out the documentation on GitHub : https://github.com/Eastrall/Rosalina#editor-window :)

Eastrall

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    bb8_1, Ruchir and RunninglVlan like this.
  10. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

You should post this in the Timeline forum : the Graph Visualizer is completely outdated and your tool should be useful to many :)

11. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

As a project to learn UI Toolkit I decided on simply replicating Game Dev Tycoon. It is essentially a GUI game, and a lot of fun too and not one of those ewwwwww mobile cash-grab pseudo-games (aka what DragonCrashers replicates). I know this is where the money is, but I'm more after where the fun is. :p

upload_2022-12-10_13-57-1.png

Ultimately, I want to be able to design mangement game GUIs which are only suitable for desktop screens, since you'll have a lot of lists, graphs, stats, financial sheets, and so on.

RunninglVlan likes this.
  12. lilacsky824

lilacsky824

I made a setting menu with UITK.
    Still use Localization and Zenject together. :p

bb8_1, Fep310, TeorikDeli and 4 others like this.
  13. Nefisto

Nefisto

I've made a debugger for my drop manager tool Loot

Randolphjand and mariandev like this.
  14. m-guntrum

m-guntrum

We recently created NewGraph a data-oriented node graph solution for Unity powered by UIToolkit (UIElements). It is based on the idea to visualize complex data structures as graph networks without having to modify already established data classes, except adding [Node], [Port], [PortList] and [SerializeReference] attributes to all classes that should show in the Graph View.

Link to GitHub project

Features
    • WYSIWYG. A port connecting to a node in the graph is a real reference to the object in your graph .asset
    • Good performance even with many nodes as this is built upon the new retained UIToolkit UI system.
    • create visual data oriented networks based on your custom [Serializable] data classes simply by adding attributes.
    • Fully serialized dynamic lists of ports with the [PortList] attribute.
    • Customize data visualization with [GraphDisplay]: Display a field inside the graph, side inspector or both views.
    • Full support of Unity's native Undo/Redo stack.
    • Support for Utility Nodes that can be created to help organize your specific graph business.
    • Copy & Paste even across graphs.
    • No child ScriptableObject mayhem! A graph asset will hold all your data in one single scriptable object.
    • Cyclic references and complex reference chains are natively supported with the use of [SerializeReference] attribute.
    • No reliance on the now deprecated Experimental.GraphView. Everything was written from scratch or is based on maintainable code.
    • Keyboard shortcuts, a searchable context menu, default UtilityNodes like CommentNode, GroupCommentNode, a extensively commented code base and more...
    Wiki
    See the Wiki for installation & usage instructions.

Changelog
    See the Changelog for current updates!

15. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You mean like in UML?
    Is that data then modifiable in the graph, or does the graph only show the data scheme? Or does it even allow generating code?

16. m-guntrum

m-guntrum

Yes the data is modifiable, think UML but operating on instances of your class. It is not meant to generate code but you might very well implement code generation based on you nodes in an additional step. It's a different way to look into the instances of your [Serializable] classes, structs and fields. It was designed especially for complex data structures like Mission Systems, Quest Systems, Dialog Systems or anything where one would benefit from visually seeing the references one class has to another.

17. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Happy to share my latest project I've been working on.
    It'll be a new asset for the AssetStore and is called Databrain. I made it completely from scratch with the new UIToolkit.
    It basically consists of a main data management editor and can be expanded with add-ons.

Main editor
    MainEditor.png

Logic add-on (High level visual scripting node editor)
    Logic.png

- Made from scratch without the deprecated GraphView.

Techtree add-on
    Techtree.PNG

Stats add-on
    Stats.png

Localization add-on
    Localization.png

It's still under development but I plan to release it very soon.
    For more information check out the website here:
    https://databrain.cc

Additionally I want to say that I love creating editor tools with the new UIToolkit! I made quite a lot of tools with IMGUI and was very sceptical at first. But now I don't want to go back :)

18. Predulus

Predulus

Those panels look really good. Very polished.

19. stevphie123

stevphie123

quibit, Fep310, _geo__ and 3 others like this.
  20. SoyWar

SoyWar

I present you a new asset named "UI Toolkit Component", which was originally a feature designed for my game under development.

This asset allows you to use UI Toolkit with components using a selector similar to the stylesheets of the UI Builder. The attachment of elements to components is done dynamically, and most of the CSS pseudo-classes are usable on the selector. It is also possible to apply stylesheets when an element is attached to a component, and to use events related to the value and state of the element, such as changing the text of a "Label", clicking a "Button" or selecting a "RadioButton" in a "RadioButtonGroup".

Here is an example of how to integrate the Localization package with UI Toolkit without needing any coding knowledge:

You can find it here: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/239489

bb8_1, PolyCrusher and mariandev like this.
  21. BennyKokMusic

BennyKokMusic

benoitd_unity, quibit, bb8_1 and 2 others like this.
  22. SolarianZ

SolarianZ

23. Ruchir

Ruchir

24. felipemullen

felipemullen

Coming back to ui toolkit because I like self inflicting pain.
    And then I see this: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/onejs-221317

Holy smokes! This is exactly what I thought I would get when I started using uitk! Has anyone here had any success with onejs?
    @uDamian / @benoitd_unity can you guys just buy up this dude's project so we can use it standard in unity? If it works the way it looks, it might just save the awful experience that is UI in unity.

RunninglVlan likes this.
  25. MostHated

MostHated

Well... I mean...

Maybe it's just me, but I think UI Toolkit is fantastic. Though, at the same time, I would rather slam my dongle in a car door than have to use typescript and any js framework.

bb8_1 and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  26. felipemullen

felipemullen

What you choose to do with your dongle is entirely up to you my guy

But that highlighted section in your image is exactly the reason why I wrote my message. If some random person (people?) can implement hot reloading, proper component transformation to ui elements with support for tailwind, what is the unity team doing? When I first started tracking UITK back at Damiens speech in 2019 I was super excited. As you can guess, I no longer am.

Languages/toolsets each should be used according to their purpose, and they can improve or hinder your productivity. What I can say for certain is that Unity doesn't have a good track record with UI, and the web stack is purely based around UI. It is silly to look at the current state of web dev and pretend there is nothing to learn from it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    Unifikation likes this.
  27. Writing the whole system so your asset can claim that they are doing anything.

Unity doesn't need another scripting language, C# is plenty good.

FizzFab, Armynator and Eastrall like this.
  28. ChebanovDD

ChebanovDD

My UI Toolkit projects :)

UnityMvvmToolkit - brings data-binding to your Unity project
    UnityWidgetsToolkit - create UI using widgets similar to Flutter's approach
    UnityUxmlGenerator - generates "UxmlFactory" and "UxmlTraits" source code for a custom VisualElement

29. magnetic_scho

magnetic_scho

We've been using UI Toolkit for the last ~2 years in our (unreleased) game "The Tribe Must Survive".
    Currently, we have a a Alpha Playtest going on Steam, so people can try it out for free.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to show how we use UI Toolkit.

If you want to join the Playtest, you are required to join our discord though:
    https://discord.gg/TfzRNz4GK6

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  30. _geo__

_geo__

Am currently working on a new (paid) asset for shadows, glow and outlines (with animations).
    UPDATE: Released now :)

upload_2023-9-27_22-47-14.png

Some Screenshots:​

OutlineAnimation.gif
    The shadow in the image above is faked via a glow. Below you can see how a real shadow looks.
    upload_2023-9-27_22-46-53.png

Glow and outline effects are added via Manipulators so the workflow can be none-destructive.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  31. JasonsFreeTime

JasonsFreeTime

32. okndmrl

okndmrl

Hey I really would like to know how you made editor windows inside editor windows. Thats what I am looking for actually and I been searching for a quite long time for it.

33. JasonsFreeTime

JasonsFreeTime

I'm also interested in this capability. One issue for me regarding the ability for a user to input and format text at runtime is that currently the TextField does not support rich text tags.

Here is a screenshot from the 2023.3 Unity manual:

upload_2023-10-10_21-24-20.png

I would love to know where this is at on the road map for coming in the future. I hope it IS coming soon!

Otherwise, if anyone has any suggestions for how to pull this off, I would appreciate it!

34. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

You are using Unity to create an app that is not a game? I am curious. Who is the intended target? Is this a productivity tool that will be available on App Stores? Will your app have user comments?

Thanks.

35. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

Should we still use On Enable? My code seems to work when I query everything in Awake.

Thanks.

36. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

Greetings. The app looks great.

Two questions if you don't mind:

May I ask why you used Unity for a non-game app? I am really thinking about using Unity to create a non-game app and so I am wondering if that's easy to do, is the file size very large, is it hard to do dialog or text input fields, etc.

Is your UI Toolkit version of the App now in the Google Play store?

Thanks.

37. Mj-Kkaya

Mj-Kkaya

Hi @ShokWayve,
    I asked similar question, Here is the link:

38. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

Thanks. However, there was not a link. When you post the link I will follow it.

Thanks again.

39. Mj-Kkaya

Mj-Kkaya

40. all_iver

all_iver

I wrote a longer post here but I'm making a digital drawing/painting app for iPad, using UIToolkit for the (WIP) UI:

I'm using a layer on top of UniRx to do data binding which has worked fairly well for me, but honestly UIToolkit needs better mobile support (I had to write my own drag/drop reordering lists and scroll acceleration, among other low level stuff) and better stock controls. Otherwise I do think UIToolkit is a big step up from UGUI, for my tastes. Please keep improving it!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  41. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

yeah it's missing alot of things you can find with ugui in controls

42. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

Mj-Kkaya likes this.
  43. quibit

quibit

Unity_Component_Group.png

Been asking for a way to group Unity components in the Inspector for a while since my design approach is so SOLID based, my classes are very small and no class does both decide and perform.
    Well finally I am making one myself, all in UI Toolkit. It is very simple (like most of my code), just groups which means hides/shows components in the Inspector and allows you to edit component inside the GROUP itself. Went for a minimalistic style (recurring theme I know).

ComponentGroup.gif

All code in my github if anyone wants to use/fork/etc.. go for it.
    https://github.com/bittinkerer/unity-componentgroups

Fep310 likes this.
  44. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

Hi, it's still WIP, but I can show you a sneak peak from our upcoming game (multiplatform, crossplay multiplayer, it's in free to pre-order now at App Store). Except the some prototype or ingame debug UIs, we used UI Toolkit everywhere. We created many custom elements (more robust buttons, carousel fields, form elements, popovers, modals, tab views, badges, tags, progress bars, etc) implemented some custom ways with new Input System's gamepad navigation, etc. We're using 2021 LTS atm, and will probably direclty update to 2023/6 LTS when it released (We had some problems in our custom elements and events in 2022 LTS when we tried, so we skipped for the moment in the name of a stable game).

BTW, I am considering to release some of our custom UI Toolkit elements in our GitHub (for free, of course); but I am not sure if this will be interesting for you. Some of the elements are:
    - Sprite Animation Element (takes a list of sprites and plays them in customizable cycle types and frame rates),
    - Animation Element (we needed a thing like css keyframes, so we're looping within a list of classes),
    - Skewed Element (I actually shared in this forums, but it's a little complex from that version),
    - Localizer Element (yes, Unity Localization),
    - TextField placeholder maybe? (hmmmmm, it's a bit our project specific, but I can make it independent)

I know, some of them are coming in 2023 LTS, but not for 2021 or 2022.

Here's are some gifs from the game (I wish I could add more; but soon it'll be released, and I have to go back to work right now =D)

CustomGeneral_01.gif CustomLobby_01.gif CustomSlot_01.gif Options_01.gif Emojis_01.gif

Fep310, jiraphatK, rawna and 12 others like this.
  45. thecheesyone

thecheesyone

Created a free Tailwind-like UI framework for UI Toolkit. For those who aren't familiar with utility class frameworks, ZoboUI comes with a bunch of ready-to-use USS classes like `bg-red-100` which makes the background of a VisualElement a light shade of red, or `text-sm` which makes a Label have a small font size. And if you wanted to change a Button's background color when hovered, you would add a class like `hover_bg-blue-800`, which would give it a dark blue color, but only when it is hovered. You can always add custom values if needed.

uibuilder-gameover-feature-3 (1).jpg

It has significantly improved how I build UIs with UI Toolkit since I'm no longer managing a bunch of USS files and creating custom selectors and classes for each element. I used it to see if I could re-create the skin customization menu from The Last of Us Part 2, for example, leveraging UI Toolkit templates for reusability :

Fep310, uMathieu, mariandev and 3 others like this.
  46. RandomBobCat22

RandomBobCat22

Still very early days of my inventory / equipment system.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  47. LarsTheGlidingSquirrel

LarsTheGlidingSquirrel

I just released a (paid) asset store package that simplifies creating "floating UI" like health bars, text labels and waypoint markers. It essentially moves screen space UI created with UI Toolkit so that it follows a 3D object. Also, it comes with a very flexible positioning system and additional features like hiding or modifying the UI when the 3D object is occluded.

https://u3d.as/3dGC [Launch sale, 30% off]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    ElevenArt likes this.
  48. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

49. Mj-Kkaya

Mj-Kkaya

Hi folks,
    I've created a tool for auto-sizing labels if you need it, check it out on GitHub.