Search Unity

Games Shard War

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by SquaxShaun, Nov 19, 2022.

1. SquaxShaun

SquaxShaun

Started a new project for fun: Shard War, a RPG auto-battler.

Defeat enemies and turn them into champions to fight for your cause! Night 2 of development!

Some art:

A video:

Features:
    • Realtime PVP.
    • Defeat and collect Champions to use in battle.
    • Deploy armies.
    • Complete Challengs to earn Shards.
    • Upgrade your Champion units to have a battle advantage!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    mgear likes this.
  2. SquaxShaun

SquaxShaun

Some progress on the UI screens:

Champion Selection

World Map

Battle

Currently working on: Shard Upgrade Screen to allow you to upgrade your champion units.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  3. SquaxShaun

SquaxShaun

Shard Upgrade Screen completed:

From this screen you can upgrade your collected champion Units that give bonuses in combat!

Currently working on: Challenges!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  4. SquaxShaun

SquaxShaun

I've been working on a multiplayer, battle replay system. At the end of each successful battle you can choose to deploy your army for a small Shard cost. This deployed army will then be available to challenge via the PVP menu at each location. If you challenge and lose, your Shard will be added to the prize pot. Whoever manages to defeat your army will take the whole pot.

You can recall your army at any point, and keep the prize pot for yourself.

Prototype is now live on itch.io :) https://squax.itch.io/shard-war

5. SquaxShaun

SquaxShaun

Worked on further improving the World Map UI, there is now an option to view World Events, shows if new armies have been deployed:

Next up: Challenges/Achievements system to earn Shard points and drive player progress.

6. SquaxShaun

SquaxShaun

I decided the prototype could use a little realtime magic!

Having previously used Mirror/FishNet I decided to take a small risk and try out Unity's newest multiplayer solution: Netcode for GameObjects

Opinion: it's pretty good, I was able to get my own realtime relay server working within a few hours, and have got the core battle system working with 2 players, and simple matchmaking.

The unity transport protocol only works with sockets, but there is a web-socket implementation which I will give a go at implementing soon.

Some gotchas that tripped me up:

• If using an external hosting solution, have the server listen on 0.0.0.0, it will bind to all available addresses on the target machine and then you can just connect to the public, internet facing IP as usual.
    • On the server set the Application.targetFrameRate = 30; to stop it eating all your CPU resources.
    Check out the latest PC build (https://squax.itch.io/shard-war) for a preview of the multiplayer, it still has a fair few bugs but is definitely playable :)