Search Unity

shadows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boxy, Aug 11, 2005.

1. boxy

boxy

Hello
    Jus wondering, does unity support shadows of any kind? Sorry if this has been asked, couldn't find any mention.
    I'm very pleased to see that exporting as a textured 3DS from Cinema4D works a charm. Happy.
    Also finally, can I just say that adding an FPS style viewpoint is sooo easy that even I can do it! Believe me that is saying something. I am loving this demo so far :)
    Thanks
    Boxy

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Glad you like it.

Btw. Cinema 4D also has an excellent fbx exporter which allows you to even pull animated characters into unity.

Currently unity does not support shadows but we are planning to add it in a later version.
    You can however create fake shadows using render textures or projected textures. More on how to do this will be coming with the 1.1 release.

3. boxy

boxy

Thanks Joachim
    I look forward to the shadows fake and real!
    I did try fbx briefly but couldn't see the texture so went for 3DS. However I am 99.9 percent sure that I probably needed to do something else I wasn't sure about yet :) But that aside - kicking that importing animations will [hopefully] be that simple.
    Oh I did also want to ask but haven't come across it yet - How would you calculate the limitations of poly count and texture count/size for a level. For eg are there any rough guides on what the lowest spec modern mac could handle?
    Thanks
    Boxy

4. pdrummond

pdrummond

Hi there,

I've been using Cinema 4d to export models as FBX and I find it works well. This forum topic might help you out:

http://otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=672

Scroll down to my message with the large screenshot. I posted this when I was just starting so it's not entirely accurate, but what I've learnt from then is:

Make the Cinema 4D texture name match the name of the texture file used (minus the .tif, .psd ending). E.g. a polygon selection on a model using a texture called 'stone1' which in turn uses a file called 'stone1.tif'. When you export your model as FBX you'll end up with a .fbx file and a .fbm folder containing the texture files used in the colour channels of your C4D textures. (You can manually move copies of bump textures in there to keep them all together.)

In Unity drag your fbx model into the scene and scale and rotate as necessary. Then drag the texture files onto the model. This will create Unity materials with the same name. E.g. dragging the 'stone1.tif' file onto your model will create a material called 'stone1'. If you then select the newly created material in the Unity inspector you can make it use the correct texture images. Returning to your model you can now change the render materials to the correct ones. Suddenly your model will start to look the way its meant to.

5. boxy

boxy

That's great, thanks Paul.
    Boxy