Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadows from point lights on terrain

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by chronosapien, Feb 24, 2015.

1. chronosapien

chronosapien

I'm having issues with shadows being cast from point lights onto terrain in Unity 5. While directional lights will cast shadows from any object onto the terrain, point lights aren't casting any. What's weird is that if I crank the base map distance way down (past my cameras distance from the terrain), the shadows will appear, though now the terrain texture is much less detailed. Am I missing something?

2. chronosapien

chronosapien

Bump. Is anyone else having this problem??

3. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

4. chronosapien

chronosapien

Ah, thanks for that.

So if I'm reading the thread correctly, I need to remove the exclude_path tag from the standard shader being used on the terrain and not use more than 4 textures, and things should work fine?

5. chronosapien

chronosapien

I got home and tried your suggestion but it didn't solve my issue. I replaced the terrain shaders and removing all of the exclude_path: deferred tags as the thread you posted suggested, but I think I am having a different issue since my problem isn't no shadows (as would be in forward rendering), its shadows only within the Base Map Distance of the terrain. Here is an image to illustrate:

This is with a Base Map Distance of 4 on the terrain to show the shadow being cut off.

Sortest likes this.