Search Unity

Shadows are too dark

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by pivasik3000, Mar 11, 2018.

1. pivasik3000

pivasik3000

Hello,

I'm trying to build a VR experience for apartments made inside Sketchup using Unity. I used this video to import model and create lighting, but my apartments looks very dark. I tried to play with lighting tab but did not succeeded (

Also I tried to put a simple room created in a unity nearby and it didn't have any problems with dark shadows. I assume that my mesh is a cause, but maybe you could give me any ideas where I should look into?

I'm trying to get something like render from vray:

2. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Try using post FX color grading to bump up white. Play around with it.

pivasik3000 likes this.
  3. Stardog

Stardog

Select Light > Set to Baked.

Select imported mesh asset, click Generate Lightmap UV's.

Go to Lighting > Environment Lighting > Intensity Multiplier > 1.0.

Turn off Realtime Global Illumination.

4. pivasik3000

pivasik3000

@Stardog @FirstTimeCreator thanks a lot for your advices! I guess now I'm on the right pass. Unfortunately, baked lighting works a little bit weird on my mesh (take a look at the screenshot). Everything is very dark and lights are not going through windows. I tried the same approach with another model imported from Sketchup and it works fine, but for this particular one everything is very dark.

Here is the result including scene lighting settings

Model settings:

Camera settings:

Directional light settings:

Btw I'm really curios, why I do not have any problems with realtime directional lights and my windows

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You need to generate lightmap UVs either by hand, or through Unity's mesh importer.

Secondly, I'd suggest moving the glass windows to a separate mesh and having that mesh NOT be static.

6. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

its real important to check the models normals too, if its sketchup goto monochrome mode and flip all faces not facing out. Then get material tools extension and remove all backface material and dont use generate backface on import.

7. Brandgage-1

Brandgage-1

Why is that?

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

2018-05-03_15-45-28.png

I would guess so it isn't baked with a lightmap on glass? Check the static drop down arrow to see the different kinds of static available to you.

9. Brandgage-1

Brandgage-1

Since I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

Could you answer a question for me?

If I set a GameObject to inactive, and then bake a lightmap. Will it overwrite and/or still bake a lightmap for it?

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Active or inactive has nothing to do with it. You should use Lightmap static setting. It's a tickbox drop down from where to tick static. There are lots of different tickboxes.

If you have a gameobject set to static all, and you set it to inactive, then yes, it will try to bake the moment you turn it back on again. If you do not want this, then use unity correctly, and do not flag it as "lightmap static".

11. Brandgage-1

Brandgage-1

By unchecking "lightmap static" does that get rid of any lightmap data for that GameObject?

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

13. Brandgage-1

Brandgage-1

Well that is what I am trying to avoid lol. Is there a way where I can have a lightmap on an object, while at the same time prevent that object from being baked for future bakes?

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

One idea is to use a separate scene and bake it there, then load that scene additively. this can all be automated in the editor or done manually (depending on if you want effort).

Using multi scene editing can be an option too... just throwing out a couple of non techie options.

15. Foxsarethbest10

Foxsarethbest10

you can click on directional light and turn down the shadow strength, or add another light