Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow Volumes Toolkit (now with stencil buffer support)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gustavolsson, Aug 26, 2011.

?

Webplayer feedback

Poll closed Sep 4, 2019.
  1. The shadows look good (Mac OSX)

79 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. The shadows look good (Windows)

178 vote(s)
    61.4%
  3. There seems to be a problem with the shadows (Mac OSX)

6 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. There seems to be a problem with the shadows (Windows)

13 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Other problem

14 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. andererandre

andererandre

So did you fix the issues the previous approach by Aras had? This version had huge problems with artifacts and a lot of meshes didn't work at all or worked only partially. Have you been able to fix those completely? If you did, how did you do that? Aras wrote there are two ways of fixing those issues:

That's definitely an interesting topic and I'd love to see something like that available in Unity.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well I'd like to see this native done by unity. Of course I mentioned it could be done fast for mobile on another topic but there were cries of "ooh it's too slow" from people who just don't think.

Definately want to see pro shadows for ios pro... aras or someone, do you have itchy feet this anything goes friday? :D

3. tatoforever

tatoforever

I'm using a similar planar shadow system (as the one in the wiki) on my iOS project and performance is great (if you pay attention to the amount of projectors and existing drawcall of course).
    I'm may provably give it a go on the iOS and post some results with our current game (Forgotten Memories).

4. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Fishypants: Thanks!

Yes, my implementation does not suffer from those problems. As long as the mesh is closed it will work. I pre-process the mesh and extrude the volume in the vertex shader. Doing the extrusion on the cpu is really slow and there is no reason to do it when shader support is available.

The papers Aras referenced only supported up to 8 overlapping shadow volumes which is why there were artifacts on more complex models (self-overlapping occurred), my implementation is similar to "normal" shadow volumes and supports 255 overlapping volumes (more than enough for all scenes). Also, the papers suggested that each game object should have it's own state changes (as opposed to only one state change for all shadows) to minimize the max 8 overlapping volumes problem. State changes are expensive and my implementation only changes state once for all shadows.

These are not planar shadows, these are as dynamic as shadow maps. (ie. supports self shadowing etc)

5. seon

seon

Looks fantastic! So when is this going to be available ?

6. lazygunn

lazygunn

Just one more hassle haha, as it works on my phone, banding or not, i'll be getting this, but to add you said there would maybe be a 'simple' function when the camera wont be inside the shadow that should be a little less costly performnce wise, as how i'd implement my shadows wouldnt be in the shadow (In fact in my implementation there should just be certain objects casting shadows on the landscape and nothing else, no self shadowing or shadows on each other, although maybe i could play with it a bit

Either way, these sort of options would be great

7. tatoforever

tatoforever

Yeh i'm aware this is a technique knonw as shadow volumes. ^^

8. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

I've added a couple of things over the weekend but it should be good to go now, only documentation and another example scene left to do. I'll probably submit it in a day or two :)

Yeah, I just added that option now. The "Light" prefab will work in all cases whereas the "Light Simple" prefab will only work when the camera is outside the shadows (it could be used for top-down/sidescroller type games). The performance will be roughly twice as good when using the "Light Simple" prefab.

I might have misunderstood you, sorry :)

9. tatoforever

tatoforever

@gustav,
    Any release date for your shadow system? I really wanna try the performance on our current game. It will also be a good benchmark for heavy graphical-oriented projects on iOS. ^^

10. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

I'll submit it tomorrow or tuesday :)

11. tatoforever

tatoforever

Awesome,
    I spec it on the Asset Store in one-two weeks. :)
    Cheers,

12. andererandre

andererandre

Ok sounds like you did indeed finally implement this technique properly, congratz on that. Your shadows will be a huge leap forward, especially for all Unity Indie users. There are however two drawbacks:

- the meshes have to be closed, I removed a lot of faces from my meshes that the player cannot see to save some polygons.
    - you still have to add the meshes separately, a single prefab might have about 10-20 MeshFilter components in all of it's children. That will lead to a lot of iteration through MeshFilter arrays to add and remove GameObjects when they are being instantiated or destroyed and will add some serious overhead to all spawn and despawn actions.

But for games that don't extensively spawn GameObjects at runtime it will be a nice realtime shadow implementation, I'm really looking forward to it. And now that Unity Indie got it's first realtime shadows implementation maybe we will even see some sort of realtime shadows in a future Unity Indie release.

13. stefann

stefann

hey,
    first of all thank you for all the effort. on my laptop it looks perfect. however i just downloaded the android preview from the market and it's by far not giving the result as expected. in the different light modes i get the light displayed correctly but the shadows just appear as artifacts in some rare cases. any ideas on that?

i'm on a xperia x10 running android 2.3.3

14. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

I believe this problem occurs when there is no 32bit backbuffer support on the device and it reverts to a 16bit buffer. On desktops all graphics cards support 32bit backbuffers nowadays but on mobile devices it can vary, which is why the toolkit won't support mobile devices. I should probably pull the Android app to avoid any confusion.

Basically, if you can force a standard 32bit backbuffer format with an alpha channel on a platform, it should work well, if not, there will be artifacts..

15. tatoforever

tatoforever

As from v3.4 you can force 32 bit backbuffer on Unity iOS (theres an option in the player setting menu).
    So it should be fine on Unity iOS though performance is an other story. ^^

16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Tato, if you get this and try it on ios, please give us some impressions afterwards (workflow/performance etc). It would be much appreciated.

17. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Cool, yeah, if it actually enforces the format (the app won't run on the oldest apple devices) it should technically work :)

18. tatoforever

tatoforever

@AcidArrow,
    I'll post some results with our current project iOS game as soon as the package is available. :)
    I'm willing to do some compares with our current planarshadow system (performance and workflow-wise).

19. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

So, I'm about to submit the package to the asset store :)

Here is the final webplayer demo

and for LazyGunn, a screenshot showing the shadows interacting with the built-in terrain:

$terraintest.png

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  20. tatoforever

tatoforever

Awesome,
    I'll be waiting to give it a try on Unity iOS first. ;)
    Cheers,

21. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

WOW, how do you do that! :D Runs great in Firefox on Windows!

22. lazygunn

lazygunn

Looks great! I'll look forwards to messing with it, and rremember to tell us how you got rgb888 working!

23. wingedfox123

wingedfox123

oops, i clicked the webplayer on the first page and their were no objects so i pushed other problem, buti tried the other webplayer and it worked fine

24. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Still awesome :D
    Quick thought i had: Is it possible to write into the "shadow buffer" yourself via script or shader? Because that would be even more awesome :D

25. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Everything that writes to the depth buffer will receive shadows. An invisible/non-existent object can cast shadows by just using the "Shadow Volume" prefab by itself (and specifying a suitable shadow caster mesh).

I submitted the package yesterday so it'll hopefully be released soon :)

26. ivanzu

ivanzu

Whats the price?

27. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

28. tatoforever

tatoforever

At that price gustav, you'll sell a lots of copies, knowing how many free users are waiting for shadows.
    That's a good price strategy indeed. ^^

29. tatoforever

tatoforever

In the near future, you may provably wanna try other ways to get shadows on Unity mobile but this time very optimized for. :)

30. LaneFox

LaneFox

Very interesting! I'll be looking into it and possibly purchasing, I love seeing these types of creative alternatives. =)

31. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

32. namoricoo

namoricoo

When is the release date.

33. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

im on Mac OSX lion with a intel graphics hd 3000 and the shadows look wonderful

34. Squideey

Squideey

Wow. I will definitely buy this. I've got one project going, and the only Pro aspect I need are the shadows, especially when these happen to be pixel-perfect hard shadows.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  35. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Thanks for all the replies!

When/if Unity approves it for the Asset Store.

36. reissgrant

reissgrant

Nice! Great job getting this to work with the free version!

37. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Here is the blogpost :)

38. Squideey

Squideey

One question: does this system support self-shadows?

39. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Yes :)

40. lazygunn

lazygunn

excellent cheers! much appreciated, bookmarked and will test out soon

41. Squideey

Squideey

Oh, I should have noticed that anyway. If it didn't, it defeats the purpose of using dynamic shadows in the first place. One more question I forgot: does this also support cut-out materials, like the Pro shadows?

42. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

No, it doesn't. This is one of the downsides with shadow volumes, they rely on the geometric representation of the object, not what's rendered.

43. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

It is in the unity asset store :)

No i hope the closing time will come soon so that i can test it on the iphone.

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is a nice addon too... but as someone mentioned, the meshes have to be closed, which is very painful if your character is optimised for gameplay... i think i should work still if u have a prefab...and this may force me to model the cliffs as meshes since terrains cannot cast shadows onto themselves

45. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

Thanks for your comments, the toolkit was just released a moment ago :)

Check it out here

(Btw, I'm going to start a new thread for the finished product in the Asset Store forums soon, stay tuned..)

Yeah, only working with closed meshes is certainly a drawback, but used properly, shadow volumes can definitely be a great tool.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I will have to test this when I get a moment... And that means I would have to model my characters with closed pieces each time i want to use this asset, especially if i am working with gore models.

EDIT: And also if u want to use lightmaps on the terrain, you lose your normal maps (using Unity Indie here), which stinks if u want all of those detailed rocks and stuff...

47. tatoforever

tatoforever

[Edit] Is now working, check out my post below.

48. tatoforever

tatoforever

You can download a custom Terrain shaders (for free) on the Asset Store which enables normal and parallax mapping on unity terrains. ;)

49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

You don't mean the ATS Shaders do you?

50. tatoforever

tatoforever

Yeah, those are the one i was talking about. :D