Search Unity

shadow resolve type in URP

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by mdm2233, Mar 6, 2020.

1. mdm2233

mdm2233

In feature comparison picture , I found shadow resolve type lighting pass and screen space pass are both supported in urp. I took a look on framedebuger ,I think it is solved on lighting pass by default . so is there anyone who can tell me how can I change to screen space shadow ( on lwrp , maybe toggle on the cascades will change to screen space shadow but I have tried on urp ,it didnt work i think )

2. Fewes

Fewes

From my understanding, the screen-space shadow pass was completely removed in URP 7.2.0. I've had a look in the shaders and it does indeed seem to be completely gone, the only reference I can find is a single line: "#define SHADOWS_SCREEN 0". Changing this wouldn't actually do anything because the define is not checked anywhere else.

You can find more information on why it was removed on this page: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...universal@7.2/manual/upgrade-guide-7-2-0.html
    The page doesn't mention it (although I think it should) but this also fixes a long standing issue with shadows and MSAA.

It would seem the feature comparison page needs an update.

3. mdm2233

mdm2233

Yes you are right Fewes. Thank you

4. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Yes, we recently removed screen space shadows as they caused quite a few issues with XR and also transparent shaders did not play nicely, so currently it is removed. We have plans to add them back in at a later date, and also give users the ability to override them(the render pass itself or render into them without having to alter URP code)

Fewes likes this.
  5. mdm2233

mdm2233

ok waiting for good news