Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow Fear Demo "3rd person survival horror / puzzle" Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by mrbdrm, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

Hello
    my name is : Mohammad Abdulaziz i am from Saudia Arabia , my dream was to build a good 3rd person horror game , i have started working on this game from 6 years ago , and im happy with the result i got with unity3d and to be honest i couldn't be do it alone without unity , so thank you unity :D and thank you unity community :D
    here is some screen shoots :

Here is the Demo http://shadowfear.com/shadow fear demo.rar

I need your feed back to polish the game more , please do so :)

Thank you and i hope you like it .

Edit youtube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kBU3b8Vd0

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. zine92

zine92

The models, textures and the lighting looks great. Downloading the demo right now. I would say it's impressive. And keep up the good work.

3. Blacklight

Blacklight

Looks brilliant, I'll give it a try when get more one my download quota.

4. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Very nice quality.

5. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Looking forward to seeing this (currently away from machine) and will download it as soon as I get home. Looks really great from the images.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

6. ar0nax

ar0nax

looks great! tho i noticed that her head turns right and she starts to turn right when you move forwards. check that out, ohh and i suggest making a cursor for the mouse interactions and stuff.

you are doing great, btw!

7. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

thank guys
    to ar0nax : thanks for the feed back , will do .

8. Lypheus

Lypheus

It looks stunning - very well done! For a suggestion, in my game I found that highlighting an interactable item made gameplay a bit more fluid since the user is not "search areas by shuffling along an clicking all over. That might not fit with the immersion you're going for though. At any rate, love it - looks and feels pretty solid.

9. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

@ Lypheus
    thank you , but i want to make it more of a challenge than pick that or leave this kind of game , but in the future i may do some hints .
    thanks again for your suggestion :)

10. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Loved the atmosphere.

I would say IMO the Depth-of-Field Blur effect is far too strong. Nothing is in focus unless it is at her nose. It actually strained my eyes after 5 mins of play. Apart from that, great stuff!

- Matt.

11. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

@ fallingbrickwork
    ok i will set them down more , thanks :)

12. Wesley Vanroose

Wesley Vanroose

Very good start,soms tips
    -play more with sounds and music,expamle:when you come to a door you hear heavy breathing behinde it
    -make some areas darker,en play with light like lights flickering
    but again nice work so far.

13. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

@ Wesley Vanroose
    if you didn't notice there is no footsteps sound and i am kinda shocked no one notice it :(
    any help guys on the best way to do so , im using locomotion so no animation event .
    btw thank you for the feedback i will keep your tips on my mind .

14. sawfish

sawfish

You could have a variable like "IsWalking" and when they have the walk forward button pressed you could loop a foot step sound...

15. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

tried that , it give me a problem when the player interact with objects the sound keeps on playing even if i disable the script

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

as long as npc/player has a chr controller:
    This will play an array of footsteps with varaiation based on speed..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    public class SoundEffectController : MonoBehaviour {
    public AudioSource footAudioSource;
    public AudioClip[] footsteps;

void OnFootStrike () {
    CharacterController Cc = GetComponent<CharacterController>();
    float volume = Mathf.Clamp01(0.3f + Cc.velocity.magnitude);
    footAudioSource.PlayOneShot(footsteps[Random.Range(0, footsteps.Length)], volume);
    }
    }

my lil homegrown solo effort
    www.playmerc.com

P-

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok....I know surreal art, impressionism, etc..but..something is very wrong with your materials, textures, normals..or something.
    are you intending everything to be washed out and pixelated, then great, you did your job...
    I hate to be sarcastic but did not one person look closley at the materials..some effect i guess, but to me they seem like they were broadcast over bad rabbit ears on an old tv...
    snow.you actually have snow moving around inside your wall texures, the main character..bad materials as well..there is a huge white specular artifact on your main body texture..her spec color should almost be black and not shiny...(actually you should use difuse bump)

To really use the power of unity you must have good texures with good normals, fine tuned materials, with a solid lightmaps.

here is a good example I have been working on..the body, z brush great text/mats..
    the cyborg gear..bad textures and materials

Use Blur/DOF, but use sparingly, have the scene in clarity, and the using the dof/blur for dramatic effect..
    draw your camera back..let the user see more of her and the enviroment...the third person shooter cam would be perfect.
    using the aim target as a selection point..

you wanted honest straight forward opinions..

Idea: B
    Art: D
    GamePlay: D
    Music/VFX: D
    Game Control/Exp: F

just my two cents
    and I am no critic....

18. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Mac version plz.

19. jesseoffy

jesseoffy

Could you make a mac build, by any chance? I think I got wine to run the game for me, but it takes a little bit of effort (wow, I sound lazy).

Edit: I managed to load it, but not sure if it's cause it's a .exe, but does the mouse rotate the player? If not, it should. Also, after I pick up the flashlight, it seems light is coming out of the girl's eye - not sure if this is on purpose or accidental.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  20. alismmka

alismmka

hey man greetings from egypt :D i have to say this game looks awesome it's almost like it's made by unreal engine cuz of the lighting and bloom effects which is great i would love to do something just half as good which tutorials did u have to finish to be this good ? any help would be appreciated thx :D

21. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

@ ForceVFX
    thanks for the script , i used it , it is the one from 3d person shooter but it still didn't play sounds , i will try more .
    i like your opinion and i need more of those :)
    i will fix the character specular .
    to be honest its not only about looking the best i most take in consideration time to make and performance impact
    you have to know that i will never use static shadows , and the hole game is in one massive level .its a challenge i know but i will succeed
    @ theinfomercial
    i can't build a mac version :( i use win 7
    every time i build for mac it doesn't run , sorry .
    @ JesseOffy
    yes the mouse rotate the player , i guess it dose not run properly on your machine.
    @ alismmka
    salam :)
    will you need more than tutorials to make games (i know its rough but sadly this is the realty)
    just keep on trying and you will make games

22. realm_1

realm_1

The screenshoots look great. I wanna play it. But the download link doesn't work anymore.... :(
    Keep up your good work. :) :)

23. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

i just test it it's working fine .

24. realm_1

realm_1

Yeah now also at me. I tried it with firefox and it worked.
    I think your game is great. Very great. I love to play it.
    Keep up this good work.

25. alismmka

alismmka

lol what do u mean more than tutorials ? do i just play around with unity until i make a game or something ? :p well i guess it's gonna take a while but i have a lot of time lol so which tutorials do u recommend pls :D btw i can't play the game dunno why after i press new game a black screen comes and it just freezes :(

26. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

what is you gpu ?
    what i mean is see the boot camp demo and the 3d person shooter , learn from them and you must have some background on how games are made , its more than "follow this tutorial" .

27. alismmka

alismmka

yeah i dissected half of the bootcamp demo lol the 3rd person shooter tutorial sux so i left it alone but sure i just thought u did it from scratch that's why i asked :D

yeah and i tried it on a S***ty laptop of mine so maybe that's why i'll try it on my desktop later :D

28. Artimese

Artimese

Your right, you are NO critic at all, because you have some high ass standard by the looks of it. The game was great, i played all the way through and the ONLY issue i saw was the extreme DOF, and the specularity on the outfit, other than that there is no reason to be giving "D's" for something as great as this, in that case your cyborg is F for everything...

29. runner

runner

Well done

The DOF did not bother me and matched the scene as for environmental sounds all seemed to be there except the missing footsteps.

Misspelled "Something Curved on Top" ?

and "Only when then knight commands",
    could be said "Thou knights command" , I dunno is your call.

#1 Woke-up headed towards "key" not the other direction
    #2 Did the ""Turn" thing, The door unlocks i was expecting to enter the building.

I hope that you continue making levels for the game and eventually finishing as you have potential

Thanks

30. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

@runner
    thank you , i will correct these in the next build :)
    but i dudn't understand this :
    #1 Woke-up headed towards "key" not the other direction
    when she woke up she will be staring at the light . do you have any suggestions ?

31. runner

runner

I was staring at the light then you leave the room i can either go left or right, I went right without exploring the left direction so i have no idea what awaited me in that direction.

I really enjoyed this mystery game keep it up

32. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

33. U7Games

U7Games

mrbdm,,, what's the matter???.. are you the lost Mig-081? !... i´m having headaches with nightmares in the mind, (my silent hill style horror game), i was thinking in this game 7 years ago (like you) and put a woman as a player and protagonist,,,,, you just make what i wanted to do ... excellent job!.. i have written my storyboard for my game, but i can see you are near to get it work than me,,, i can suggest some good stories for your game in case you want to finish it...

congrats!!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  34. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

That's odd, you should be able to build a mac executable on your windows machine. Of course, you won't be able to run that file on windows, but you don't need to do that.

35. fransh

fransh

Played it, liked it!

The dof, the grain and the light blur and bloom adds to the overall feel of the game. I can understand why some people say it is to much, but I am also pretty sure that if you lower those value's a lot of the scary feel will disappear with it.

Missed the footsteps, would make it even better :) The only thing I would like to see is the option to increase the camera distance a little. The first thing I noticed my self doing was scrolling my mouse wheel to get that camera a bit further away.

As for the graphics.. Great job! I played the game at fantastic and it looked really well. I also really liked what you did with the hair animation, makes the character feel more alive and less static.

What I did miss was actual shadows. Everything was always lit basically, and the only thing I could really get shadow castings of where the bushes on the sides of the road if I would make her walk in there. It is not that I am saying there are no shadow casting, just that shadows can give a lot of atmosphere and currently I did not experience that a lot.

Please keep working in this, it looks great and everything functions. I am really interested to see where this is going :) Good luck with the development!

36. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

i tried many times on my laptop mac pro 13inch 2009
    it doesn't run at all :(

37. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

thank you guys for your input
    i added the footsteps sounds
    replaced the girl shader
    reduced the DOF effect .

anything more ?

38. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Are you making a Mac Universal Build?

39. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

yes i did and all the other build options too .
    i read here somewhere that you can't build to mac from PC .

40. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Wow, looks amazing! It has that console quality look - like "Alan Wake". Good job mate!

41. ThermalFusion

ThermalFusion

Very well done! Excellently moody, I like it.

I have a couple of suggestions to you that in my mind would improve things a bit.
    First off, the bushed; They seem like they're all the same scale and orientation. Add some randomness into it and it would look a lot better.
    Secondly, when you rotate the statues, I would not use the words left and right myself. When I played, they rotated the other way than I thought they would. I'd rather use terms like clockwise and anticlockwise.
    Come to think of it, maybe not ask the player if they will or will not do something. There's no reason to make that choice, so simply state what you did? I don't know, maybe you have other plans further down the road.
    Just thought that maybe you could add some height variations to the forest path, as now it's quite flat, just some variations would make it much more interesting.
    I'm very impressed already, your character is beautifully made and so are details in the surroundings.
    Keep up the good work, and good luck :)

42. S0ULART

S0ULART

Hello
    is this Project frozen or are here coming any updates in the near future? :)

43. Nog

Nog

Hello mrbdrm,

Are you still working on this game? I can no longer download it. The idea, graphics, and sound are great.

Take care,

Nog

44. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I CANT DOWNLOAD the demo , its a 404 error, please mirror it