Search Unity

Shadow differences with baked (indirect only) 6x to 7x

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by hippocoder, Aug 27, 2019.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm finding the new shadows are ugly, have floating issues and more, whereas in 6.x I was able to have an atlas of 2048, a view range of 4096 and perfect quality (with some border adjustments) across the entire range of distance from 0.1 to 4096.

Now its basically an ugly train wreck.

Also it looks REALLY bad with just indirect-only baked where before I was able to fade it out nicely.

What's the rationale behind this ?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It also seems tied to camera clip now as well. Honestly, please revert shadows to whatever you were doing in 6.x since they were absolutely perfect in every respect, and now it's just utterly broken :(

Hope it's just bugged.

3. elbows

elbows

I dont know this side of Unity very well, but I'd like to learn more about it and use your issue as part of that learning, and hopefully provide some feedback and simple reproducible example of the issue.

If I want to try setting up a scene with that sort of shadow, and then see the differences between how it looks on 2019.2&6.x vs 2019.3&7.x, where would I start? Will it be obvious even with the shadow of a simple primitive? What lights and light settings should I use?

Have you ever looked at any of the test scenes Unity use for render pipelines etc? Do any of them exhibit the issue?