Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow artifacting in HD Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by PacoChan, Jan 19, 2018.

1. PacoChan

PacoChan

This is more about me being curious about why this happens that a bug report (though maybe it's improvable).

I was testing the new HD pipeline and I found out that shadows produce some artifacting on certain angles, more noticeable in curved surfaces.

SRP.jpg

I know about shadow acne and I know that those artifacts can be improved by increasing the shadow bias. But those specific artifacts weren't there before. And I was curious because this problem has been in UE4 since forever and people find it annoying, because sometimes it can't be fixed even with high amounts of shadow bias (in terrains for example). So it was interesting to see this here.

Is this something related to a new shadow filtering technique or something like that? What other advantages and disadvantages does it have? I'm very interested in the new SRP. It seems a nice way to have a modern renderer with current graphics capabilities without breaking compatibility with older projects that use the legacy pipeline.

2. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

The biasing is being reworked right now, so you may want to repeat your test once the changes are live.