Search Unity

Shaders, ShaderGraph and AssetBundles (Script)

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by FranFndz, Sep 5, 2020.

1. FranFndz

FranFndz

Simple question,

Do ShaderGraph, or Shaders have the same rules of no Script inside AssetBundle?
    ShadersGraph nodes are script, so i must have a copy of the shader inside my build?
    If my game have a shader issues, i update the shaders and AssetBundle, i also shoud update my binary as well? So the final user would have to Update the game from the Store and also redownload the game updates?

I did some test, loading assetbundle and shaders from another project inside my own project (Mobile).

-Some shaders work normally, they are not inside my build and compile witth no problem.

-Shader with includes, work normally, even if they are not build in.

-Shaders using ShaderGraph are always Pink.

-ShaderGraph with subgroup, they are not collected, i believe that even if the group is not collected wouldnt be a problem as the assetbundle precompile the shader, no? anyways, is Pink.

-Shader that are build in inside other project compile as pink on my own project, for example, One mesh have a reference for a Build in shader (inside the FBX property), even if the prefab have a material that point to a non build in shader
    prefab A
    -> material -> custom shader
    -> Mesh -> FBX properties -> Lit Shader reference
    = PINK Shader.

prefab B
    -> material -> custom shader
    -> Mesh -> FBX properties -> delete references
    = OK.

Any help?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. FranFndz

FranFndz

:(

will test more shadergraph and assetbundles today.

3. sergiobd

sergiobd

Hi Fran! I wonder if you reached any conclusions. I'm building a concept for an app that would use extensively shader graphs and I was wondering if they could be included in AssetBundles!

4. from2001

from2001

Hi FranFndz,
    Did you try farther more with ShaderGraph and Assetbundle?

I wonder the results.

Best,
    Masa

5. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

Bump

The editor makes it look like Shader Graphs are addressable, but can't see how we could get and use a new one on a built player that wasn't built with it.
    upload_2021-11-5_15-55-10.png

6. DavidJang

DavidJang

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader s = assetBundle.LoadAsset<Shader>("xxx/xxx.shadergraph");
    2. someMaterial.shader = s;
    works for me(unity 2021.1)

7. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

not so certain about shadergraph
    however, with shaders in general beyond the main .shader file you would consider including relevant (Drawer files) (Shader GUI files) (.cginc files)

i would not suspect the any of the graphs would be needed as they should get compiled into the final .shader file. including them may just get blotted memory

i would be interested to know your results with shadergraph