Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaders question and lightmaps

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Bruno Rojas, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Bruno Rojas

Bruno Rojas

Hi,

1. we have a lot of .FX shaders for 3dsmax available online free to download. I would like to know if there is one that will give a good preview in max viewport of what I would se inside unity.

2. How can I know the language that the shader was written. Is there some code in the begginig of the file that shows like HLSL, CGSL or Nvidia CG?

3. Unity shaders have their own language?

4. When I use an .FX shader inside 3dsmax for viewport visualization the features and information of the shader goes to unity when i export the fbx?

5. Where I can find in the forum a most update tutorial or pdf etc of the process of making lightmaps in 3dsmax. I'm using 3dsmax2009 with the latest fbx plugin from autodesk (2010).

Thanks a lot and sorry for the big post.

2. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Are FX files from ShaderFX? If so, their website says it can export to CgFX, which you can probably then port to Unity's Shaderlab. Shaderlab is a custom shader definition framework that uses Cg for programmable pipeline shaders.

Unity will not import materials on models properly. You will have to pick a Unity shader (possibly one that you've converted) yourself, or use an AssetPostprocessor to assign the values automatically.

The Third Party Apps forum is most likely to have information on light maps and getting the secondary UV set.