Search Unity

Question Shaders not applying on play mode

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RicardoCoelhoTTW, Jul 6, 2021.

1. RicardoCoelhoTTW

RicardoCoelhoTTW

I'm converting my project to URP, that means some shaders need updating.
    I'm currently having an anoying issue: I have a scene (that is an asset bundle) that has updated shaders and everything works ok when I play this scene.
    However, in a second scene, I load the previous scene as an aditive scene (that means I have 2 scenes simultaneously now), all my shaders are the default pink. And to add to the strangeness, all my objects have the correct shader selected, but if I reapply the shader again, it works.
    What is going on here? Did some references got in the bundle generation? Are there meta files missing?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Pink usually means borked shader, as you know.

Pink in the asset bundle context often means the bundle was built for one target (eg., iOS or Android) and you are trying to load it in the editor, which won't work. It must be built for Standalone to work in the editor.

3. RicardoCoelhoTTW

RicardoCoelhoTTW

the shaders were built for Windows, and they work when I play the specific scene. They stop working when the scene is loaded aditively

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

5. RicardoCoelhoTTW

RicardoCoelhoTTW

One of the shaders that I'm using that I find hard to believe it will be striped is URP/Simple lit.
    It doesn't seem shader stripping is the problem
    The scene with the objects is an asset bundle, but the materials and shaders are not in that asset.
    Materials and shaders are in the Resources folder, so they shouldn't be stripped (They are in the Resources folder because they are used by multiple asset bundles)
    Some shaders like the previously mentioned URP/Simple lit are built in, so they're probably not stripped

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  6. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

This assertion runs counter to my experience.

7. RicardoCoelhoTTW

RicardoCoelhoTTW

Solved. It was damn simple. All I had to do was to Reimport all the project.