Search Unity

ShaderLab highlighting in Notepad++

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by luizgpa, Apr 25, 2011.

1. luizgpa

luizgpa

I love Visual Studio but when it comes to edit shaders it sucks. I wanted a editor that could highlight keywords and match the curly braces, so I created a "User defined language" for Notepad++.

I just threw all the keywords I found and changed the colors randomly. I chose to ignore all the Cg code because the languages in Notepad++ can have only 4 types of keywords and I've already used all of them. Besides that, there are (or should be) better editors for Cg.

To use it, go to View -> User-defined dialogue and import this XML file.

I hope it will be useful. If I missed a keyword or if you have a sugestion, please contact me.

Attached Files:

fguinier likes this.
  2. reissgrant

reissgrant

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

3. timeisaparallax

timeisaparallax

4. ZoomDomain

ZoomDomain

thanks it works, it took a while tho because you have to open and close the shader file, restarting notepad itself didnt apply the theme to the open docs.

What about user>style configurator>C>extension.... and mark shaderlab as an extension of C, it should work for the CG parts ok?

i attempted to mark shaderlab as an extension of C and it refuses to highlight it again.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. frogsbo

frogsbo

it stopped unity from sending .shader's to notepad for editing.

here is a high contrast version, i find just making an extension of C called shader in style config more convenient.

i wouldnt use this too much, the shaderlab is easy but the CG is what needs serious highlighting, so it's cool if you dont use hlsl and cg

timesparralax cg hlsl page refers to a .vsix file for visualstudio presumably.

Attached Files:

6. antx

antx

My Notepad++ does not have "User-defined dialogue" in its View menu. So how do I use this style?

7. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

It's under Language menu, you need to choose Define your language, then save the file with .shader extension and reopen it, it will work

8. Sylafrs

Sylafrs

Reahreic likes this.
  9. Johannski

Johannski

infuzo, canis, bricevdm and 2 others like this.
  10. DonCornholio

DonCornholio

11. Johannski

Johannski

Thanks! I'm glad it's useful to you :)