Search Unity

ShaderGraph with premultiply blending is not really premultiplied

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by SampsaPlaysome, Jun 23, 2020.

1. SampsaPlaysome

SampsaPlaysome

Hello,

We have been struggling to get premultiplied effects done in ShaderGraph to work, and it turns out the problem is in Universal Render Pipeline package.

I looked into the com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.4.1\Editor\ShaderGraph\Includes\UnlitPass.hlsl, and found this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. half4 frag(PackedVaryings packedInput) : SV_TARGET
    2. {  
    3.     Varyings unpacked = UnpackVaryings(packedInput);
    4.     UNITY_SETUP_INSTANCE_ID(unpacked);
    5.     UNITY_SETUP_STEREO_EYE_INDEX_POST_VERTEX(unpacked);
    7.     SurfaceDescriptionInputs surfaceDescriptionInputs = BuildSurfaceDescriptionInputs(unpacked);
    8.     SurfaceDescription surfaceDescription = SurfaceDescriptionFunction(surfaceDescriptionInputs);
    10. #if _AlphaClip
    11.     clip(surfaceDescription.Alpha - surfaceDescription.AlphaClipThreshold);
    12. #endif
    14. #ifdef _ALPHAPREMULTIPLY_ON
    15.     surfaceDescription.Color *= surfaceDescription.Alpha;
    16. #endif
    18.     return half4(surfaceDescription.Color, surfaceDescription.Alpha);
    19. }
    Apparently when in premultiply mode, the generated shader does the multiplying for us. This is practically same as alpha-blended mode. Only difference is that blending mode in the shader is different, but from the user's perspective the ShaderGraph shader acts like alpha-blended shader.

If I comment out this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #ifdef _ALPHAPREMULTIPLY_ON
    2.     surfaceDescription.Color *= surfaceDescription.Alpha;
    3. #endif
    it works as expected.

This is clearly a bug, and should be fixed.

However, as this has been broken for a long time now, makes me wonder if there is some fundamental issue to be solved...

SolidAlloy likes this.
  2. SampsaPlaysome

SampsaPlaysome

We solved this as clean as we could by creating a forked copy of URP package with the fix, and switching that in place in manifest.json

But it would be great to have an official confirmation that the thing is broken.