Search Unity

Bug ShaderGraph / Visual Effect Graph showing all black when [Support VFX Graph] checkbox is checked

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by raaan127, Feb 2, 2023.

1. raaan127

raaan127

I was modifying a shader (which I created in previous project) then I noticed that [Visual Effect target is deprecated] so I remove it and check [Support VFX Graph] checkbox.
    After that every VFX using this shader gone black. (while mesh object outside VFX Graph is normal). I wonder what cause this problem. Is it a bug? Should I stay with Visual Effect target?
    I am using Unity 2022.1.23f1
    upload_2023-2-2_9-42-56.png
    upload_2023-2-2_9-44-22.png

2. Qriva

Qriva

Did you remove it from targets? In the second picture you still have Visual Effect foldout. Also, possibly you need to reassign the graph asset, when you check it there should be generated additional inner shader asset.

3. raaan127

raaan127

in these screenshots I didnt remove Visual Effect Target but removing it or not, there is no different in VFX graph

I tried duplicate the shader:
    - by pressing ctrl D, the new shader still render black
    - by copying all nodes and properties and setting to a new shader, it render color normally

I guess the problem is within the shader file itself.

4. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

@raaan127 Hi! Do you mind attaching a small reproduction project or describing what steps were taken to reproduce the issue? I've recently updated several projects to 2022.2 and changed a good chunk of shaders from VFX Target to SRP target and haven't noticed anything like that. Curious, what could have caused the issue on your side.

Several questions:
    1. Does console throw any warnings or errors?
    2. Do you mind upgrading to 22.2 and check if the issue is still present? (we no longer address issues for 2022.1)
    3. This one is silly, but do you have any properties in your Shadergraph's blackboard that are unsupported by VFX (gradient, diffuse profile, keywords)?

PaulDemeulenaere likes this.
  5. raaan127

raaan127

Since I moved on to the new shader (which I bringed all nodes from the bugged one), the issue is nolonger occurred.

I backed up the bugged shader file in case you want to take a look: link
    I just tested this and it stil render black (both 2022.1.23f1 and 2022.2.6f1)

Vita- likes this.