Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

ShaderGraph/LW how to create a simple lit graph?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by demonixis, Oct 29, 2018.

1. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

I really need this too

2. Eclectus

Eclectus

Bump! This would be useful :)

3. Bip901

Bip901

Has the status changed yet?

4. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

Bump, sounds pretty essential.

AndreiKubyshkin and Ziplock9000 like this.
  5. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

I need to make a version of URP/Simple Lit that allows for colour replacement. You're telling me after 2 years you can't create and edit it in the shader graph? wow.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  6. emrys90

emrys90

Adding to the +1 that I also need it. Seems like Unity just doesn't want to add it for some reason. They've had plenty of time to do so by now.

7. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

8. yasirkula

yasirkula

Hi all. On Unity's Shader Graph roadmap, you can click Submit a new idea! to forward this suggestion to Unity team. They may not be reading the forum threads so I guess there is a better chance there.

n-gist likes this.
  9. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Hi, we need a very fast shader for VR. With the best possible visual result. Let me try one oldschool trick:
    One of the fastest shaders should be Unlit created with Shader Graph.
    upload_2021-3-25_7-29-37.png
    But the quality is just unlit. On the left is the default URP Lit material:
    upload_2021-3-25_7-35-27.png
    We can setup light and spheres for light baking- and multiply color (or texture) with Baked GI node:
    upload_2021-3-25_7-39-29.png
    Light is in "Baked" Mode, both object "Lightmap Static":
    upload_2021-3-25_7-43-29.png
    Better. Now I will add more information about the light from the surroundings - I will take this information from the reflection probe:
    upload_2021-3-25_7-51-45.png

10. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Object on left is "Reflection Probe Static", reflection probe is in middle of the right sphere:
    upload_2021-3-25_7-58-1.png
    I can use the LOD level from the reflection probe to change the "smoothness":
    upload_2021-3-25_8-1-19.png
    upload_2021-3-25_8-3-52.png
    upload_2021-3-25_8-5-41.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  11. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

I am convinced that such a shader can be tuned to work for static objects.
    BUT
    I'm not a good enough programmer to know how to set the View Vector and Normal parameters in the Reflection probe node correctly.
    Because now the texture from the reflection probe rotates at the same time as the object, and if I import an object from CAD software where the Z axis is upwards, it is rotated 90 degrees ...:oops:
    upload_2021-3-25_8-18-54.png

I'm trying to open a discussion, the essence of this trick (image-based lighting combined with baked shadows) worked well for me in unity 3.x, 4.x.

Edit: View Direction- World and Normal Vector- World nodes added, recombined:
    upload_2021-3-25_17-20-28.png
    upload_2021-3-25_17-21-18.png
    Standart baked URP Lit material left, "unlit" test right.
    :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    DanjelRicci likes this.
  12. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Shader file:

Attached Files:

Ziplock9000 likes this.
  13. Perkovic15

Perkovic15

Its 2022 and we still haven't got simple lit shader graph

shamsfk, zalogic and Ziplock9000 like this.
  14. shamsfk

shamsfk

How long is that damn backlog

15. tiptoe

tiptoe

+1 Seems like a simple thing. Why it is taking so long? Or is there some other preffered way how to create mobile friendly shaders except for starting with Unlit and creating custom lighting?

16. bnmguy

bnmguy

Who knows. They are not at all transparent about this. I find it a complete joke that they don't even support their own base Uber shaders in Shader Graph. Custom lighting results always look different when compared to their SimpleLit shader, and it really isn't feasible to use SimpleLit as-is throughout your whole game. So you either get inconsistent visuals, or only use your own custom lighting, which makes the Uber shaders useless.

Meanwhile Unity is on to Advance Quantum Physics without having completed Math101 first... Backwards. And honestly feels like a slap in the face to their mobile devs.

17. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

Bump, very useful for mobile.

qwerty20210918 likes this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Plz any ETA for this???

19. optimise

optimise

@phil_lira @izym @peterbay Can I get simple lit shader graph feature anytime soon? I really need this feature for mobile platform.

Deleted User likes this.
  20. Zallist

Zallist

I needed the Simple Lit target, and came across this thread. And found that nobody had just made the relevant UniversalSimpleLitSubTarget, which isn't really that much effort for the current version of URP (2022.1+, at least). So I've went and done just that and released it under an MIT license on Github for everyone to use:

https://github.com/Zallist/unity-universal-shadergraph-extensions

And it just does what Unity should do, in exposing a Simple Lit material to the Universal target in Shader Graph:

upload_2022-5-8_20-56-58.png

Feedback welcome. Or not, you can just take it.

The code is basically just the Lit MasterNode, stripped down to what it needs just for Simple Lit and the logic necessary to call Blinn Phong.

It does NOT work for Deferred Rendering right now since I have no need for that. Or VFX Graph.

vicsind, SpockBauru, apkdev and 4 others like this.
  21. bnmguy

bnmguy

We both completed our own versions of this the same day, but since you already posted to github, I've decided to merge mine with yours, URP 12 support already done now (for those that need it). Next I'm working on deferred support being merged, then possibly a BakedLit node (I'm not as interested in doing the VFX stuff though), IMO this would finally make Shader Graph complete.

Thanks so much for your work on this Zallist!

I hope Unity merges this code directly, as Zallist has been careful to make it easy for them to do so. And, correct me if I am wrong, but I think Zallist actually would like for Unity to merge this.

So if anyone from Unity sees this, the work has been done for you.

vicsind and fuzzy3d like this.
  22. Zallist

Zallist

upload_2022-5-11_9-50-13.png

If raising an Issue against the repo asking Unity to just take the code wasn't a clear enough request for them to adopt it, I don't know what is.

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can I know whats taking soo much time to implement such simple feature!!! I just don't understand?? It's almost 4 years now!!! Why such important feature for mobile games is in backlog for soo long!!??? We got barely anything in 2022.1 for URP, you guys might be working hard but the development feels very slow when compared to HDRP!!!

24. bnmguy

bnmguy

Hi EagleG,

Please checkout Zallist's github code, which is now complete for SimpleLit (Forward and Deferred) and VFX support. At this point, he is just waiting for Unity to take the code and run.

Deleted User likes this.
  25. bnmguy

bnmguy

Haha

Yes I knew this, but I didn't want to come off as though I was speaking for you.
    :)

Thanks again for taking this on, Zallist. Much appreciated!

26. Game-Armada

Game-Armada

ping

FixItFelix likes this.
  27. vTimePawel

vTimePawel

bump, this seems like a simple addition and works well.

28. XenotechSrl

XenotechSrl

Zallist, thank you so much for your effort, works like a charm.
    Unity, you just need to pull from Zallist GitHub repo and do NOTHING, what's taking you so long? This is just unacceptable.

29. bnmguy

bnmguy

Just a note, I've already got all the URP 14 stuff completed, so when I get a min I'll do a pull request. The latest beta notes reference fixes in 2022.2.0f1, so the stable release is just around the corner. The URP 14 graphics repo is stable and hasn't changed for a very long time, so it is pretty unlikely there will be changes between now and the release. Just a heads up for all who are relying on Zallist's repo - support is incoming!

Edit: Do we have any Alpha/Beta release testers here? Is there any interest in creating Alpha/Beta branches of this? If so, let me know here.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  30. camillazi

camillazi

Any update?

31. bnmguy

bnmguy

Which version of URP are you looking for, camillazi?

32. rastleks

rastleks

Thank you Zallist!

Unity Technologies, please, do it already, really needed and simple feature!

33. Epsilon_Delta

Epsilon_Delta

34. zenbin3d

zenbin3d

@phil_lira

Hey guys, it's not even funny anymore after all these years since ShaderGraph has been released.

We need a more flexible/modular way of creating our own custom master graph nodes that should allow to easily support, replace or extend Unity rendering features like lightmaps, light probes, additional lights (per pixel or per vertex), object space or tangent-space normals, light layers and so on.

Having a modular approach to "assembling" master nodes for shader graph out of some extensible core "building blocks" would open a lot of flexibility of allowing at least anyone to be able to create their own version of SimpleLit graph.

35. HenryTownshend

HenryTownshend

36. zenbin3d

zenbin3d

I have a message from the future:

2 0 2 5

HenryTownshend likes this.
  37. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Oh no we have been cursed :eek:

38. DevDunk

DevDunk