Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

ShaderGraph/LW how to create a simple lit graph?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by demonixis, Oct 29, 2018.

1. demonixis

demonixis

Hello,

It seems that it's not yet possible to create a non PBR graph with the lightweight render pipeline and shadergraph. Is this feature planned or not?

Gekigengar, noio and adslitw like this.
  2. adslitw

adslitw

Bump because I asked this same question a while ago and didn't get an answer either. As is stands I'm assuming we should use the unlit graph and implement our own simple lighting - is that right? Or is a simple lit graph on the way?

3. adslitw

adslitw

4. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Hi, not stupid at all. :D I'm not exactly sure if a non-PBS graph is planned and if so, what's the ETA. I'll find out.

HenryTownshend and adslitw like this.
  5. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Just out of curiousity, what kind of non PBR stuff that you guys talking about? NPR?

6. adslitw

adslitw

@Reanimate_L basically in LWRP there's a 'simple lighting' standard shader, which I'm assuming is more performant than the PBR shader, but when using the shader graph you can only choose from PBR or Unlit.

But maybe the performance impact is negligible - I'll be honest I haven't profiled. But I'm making another assumption that the simple lighting shader exists for a reason!

xiangshushu and hippocoder like this.
  7. demonixis

demonixis

The SimpleLit shader is not physcally based, just simple lighting, like the old diffuse. It's good for some mobile applications, and also for mobile VR/AR.

xiangshushu and redmotion_games like this.
  8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

hmm i think it possible to create simple diffuse with the current lwrp. i remember some one manage to create custom toon shading in lwrp.

9. adslitw

adslitw

That was @Andy-Touch and he implemented his own simple lighting in shadergraph - not using any scene light data etc.

10. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

11. adslitw

adslitw

Gekigengar and noio like this.
  12. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

well then you can only wait from unity team then

13. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

or write a custom master node, although I still havent worked out how to do this! Woud love to though as it opens up shader graph for any shader type

14. Ehredt

Ehredt

Yes, it seems like this isn't possible and for this reason it seems like it's also not possible to use, for example, the HDRP subsurface scattering presets with Shader Graph. Is that planned at all for the future?

15. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

This is already in, and for a long time now. Right now there aren't full docs for anything. SRP Core, LWRP, and Shader Graph are all coming out of Experimental/Preview with the release of Unity 2019.1 so you can expect the documentation for those to come with the release, then things should be more clear.

upload_2018-11-16_21-13-30.png
    upload_2018-11-16_21-14-47.png

mats31 likes this.
  16. Ehredt

Ehredt

Yes, it would be great to have information on how to do that. How do you open the Lit shader in the ShaderGraph? I can only seem to get to the PBR shader.

17. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

You need to be using a version of HDRP that includes the Lit Master node and a version of Unity that supports it. I recommend updating to the latest beta of Unity 2018 with is currently on Beta 10 or wait until 2018 is fully released in a few weeks as well as using the latest version of HDRP which is currently 4.2.0 (This will give you shader graph 4.2.0 which has the Lit Master node as well as well as some other HDRP Master nodes)

18. adslitw

adslitw

19. izym

izym

Unity Technologies

We're planning to provide support for LWRP simple lighting in Shader Graph, but we don't have an ETA currently.

20. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I need a variation of this for a diffuse sprite. Currently it is impossible to crate a sprite that can receive simple lighting.

21. jtannert17

jtannert17

@izym Is there any update on this?

kman360 likes this.
  22. Vasonic

Vasonic

bump

kman360 likes this.
  23. HenryTownshend

HenryTownshend

I'm also very interested in this. Would be really great to be able to create Simple Lit graphs. Glad to hear it is planned!

kman360 likes this.
  24. kman360

kman360

any updates?

25. FeedMyData

FeedMyData

Any ETA?

26. ph_

ph_

@FeedMyData FYI, I've just released a package on the asset store that gives you just that: a SimpleLit master node.
    In addition, it add more than 30 noises that I felt were missing in ShaderGraph, including Perlin 2D/3D, fractal ...etc.
    ShaderGraph Essentials on the asset store

Sorry, it's probably not the right channel to do some promotion, but the package does solve your problem :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  27. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Looks nice but I am not sure how worthit it is to purchase an asset built on beta tech, considering you dont support 2019 currently yet the 2018.3 api is drastically different and so is its feature set, I think getting this asset will just lead to headaches down the line. I will revisit it once 2019.1 is out of beta and once you support it, but dont take this as unappreciative as it looks like nice work

ph_ likes this.
  28. ph_

ph_

No offense taken, you have a very valid point ! To be honest when I talked to people, the main thing they were interested in was the noise nodes / bake texture, not the SimpleLit master. Plus Unity will probably release it on its own at some point.
    The 2019+ support was definitely a question I asked myself before releasing the asset; and I did so because I'm confident I can port the noises, and pretty confident I can port the "Bake Texture" feature. I also got an extensive list of features I want to add.
    Thanks for your feedback @GameDevCouple_I :)

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  29. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Bump. Want this feature please!

30. ph_

ph_

@GameDevCouple_I you might be interested to know that ShaderGraph Essentials (Asset store link) now supports 2019.1!
    A few people use it with this version already!
    simple_lit_master.PNG

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    phil_lira and Horus_Sungod42 like this.
  31. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Just wanted to say, amazing job on that little package!

And yes (quite late on the conversation), it was me. I hope it was useful, at the time. Obviously that API was removed (ShaderGraph was in preview, after all) and now we have the Custom Function Node, which does more or less the same thing without the need to create a custom C# class. The Asset from @ph_ makes really good use of them.

I'll now add some notes to those old Connect posts to make sure people know they are old workflow.

ph_ likes this.
  32. ph_

ph_

Thanks! There're still a lot of features I want to add!
    ShaderGraph itself is really nice, thanks for developing it! Of course there are a lot of feature request and possible improvements, but it's already helping a lot of people getting in shader and graphics in general ... and that's really cool!

33. jonny2027

jonny2027

Any update on this yet?

34. SimonB

SimonB

I would also like to know the current status.

35. peterbay

peterbay

Unity Technologies

It's in our backlog, but it's not being worked on yet. I don't have an ETA right now, but we are aware that it's well needed.

36. Pawl

Pawl

+1 as a new dev trying to learn both LWRP (now URP) and Shader Graph, I was initially confused that this was not an option.

Wasplay and Gekigengar like this.
  37. Clavus

Clavus

Here's the monthly reminder that people want this.

Bordeaux_Fox and NotaNaN like this.
  38. TLuukkanen

TLuukkanen

Is this going to be the monetization model for Unity? Users covering for Unity's missing tech, and selling it as a product. I don't want to undermine people's work, but this sort of thing needs an ETA from Unity.

Wasplay likes this.
  39. kankeus

kankeus

I need this too!

40. Meceka

Meceka

I also need this to create mobile-optimized shaders with Shader Graph.

Ziplock9000 likes this.
  41. Wasplay

Wasplay

bumping

42. n-gist

n-gist

Almost a year and a half has passed :/ Need this too for simple lit vertex colored shader

zalogic and _watcher_ like this.
  43. zalogic

zalogic

Hey guys, also curious if there’s an ETA yet for this? Would really need support to either easily create custom master nodes for shader graph or to at least get a built-in extendable/customizable simple lit master node for URP.

Any news on this is very much appreciated.

44. UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

@ph_ Is there any way I can buy just the Simple Lit node for shader graph? The package is too expensive and I got laid off by this stupid covid.. I gotta be careful with my expenses now..

45. ph_

ph_

Hi there,
    It is not possible to buy the parts separately at the moment. That being said, the plugin has been on sale for 2 weeks up until yesterday, so a lot of users got it at a discounted price.
    Thanks,

46. UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

Damn it.. I missed the sale. I'll wait for the next then. Thanks anyways.

47. Discipol

Discipol

I want this for mobile

48. iscf

iscf

Yes, me for WebGL, but technically I would want also the Baked Lit Master Node. Any news for this ?

49. yasirkula

yasirkula

Eagerly waiting for Simple Lit Master Node. At the moment, Shader Graph is useless for my mobile project for performance reasons which is a shame.

Arkhham and Meceka like this.
  50. InnerScript

InnerScript

I'm also waiting for a Simple Lit shader graph base node.

Considering that third parties can get around to making master nodes, but Unity can't be bothered to support their small handful of base URP materials....

It kind of renders Shader Graph useless for high performance mobile.

LookingGlassTeam and n-gist like this.