Search Unity

Feedback Shadergraph is soooo slow

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by VincentAbert, Nov 3, 2022.

1. VincentAbert

VincentAbert

Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me... I just find using shadergraph to be a major hassle : even on verysmall graphs, every time I add a property, everytime I create a new node, every time i connect two nodes, the editor freezes for a a few seconds... Currently using the latest 2021 version, but it's similar on 2020. My computer is far from potato, so I honestly wonder what I can do.

If it's regenerating shader code everytime I change something, is there a way to disable that ? I don't care about the preview at all, I just want to be able to quickly connect a bunch of nodes, and simply generate it when I hit compile.

Thank you for the help,

Vincent

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Be specific. What is very small, what is slow, what is far from potato.
    You can also try to profile the editor to see what's taking long

3. VincentAbert

VincentAbert

Hi, thanks for the reply !

Here is a short screen capture :

As you can see I have simply one lerp node linked to the color output, and when I create a node/connect a node, it takes a few seconds. And I also, as you can see, get the "hold on" window for like 10 seconds, occasionally. Even more rarely it will take a couple minutes....

This is what the editor profiler says during one of these spikes :

Regarding my PC, I could search for the exact specs, it's not an incredible machine (Intel i7 CPU, Nvidia RTX 2060 Super GPU), but I don't get how it's not enough to link a few nodes... Unreal runs great, for example.

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Check if it's fixed in the latest lts.
    If not, make a bug report