Search Unity

Question ShaderGraph Artificial Point Light

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by unity_cQCNRvcMW6X8ig, Mar 25, 2023.

1. unity_cQCNRvcMW6X8ig

unity_cQCNRvcMW6X8ig

The title pretty much sums it up, I am trying to make a "Point light" inside of a shader graph. I am currently using some custom "Toon" shaders that I have made, and I know it's possible to make a toon shader work with multiple lights, but those solutions don't really work for what I need. I am looking for something more like this: Dynamic 3D Pixel Art Particle Lighting - YouTube
    I barely know anything about shaders and don't understand a word coming out of his mouth, but it seems like the lights are just spheres with shaders over them that give a "point light" type of effect to the surroundings. What I need is pretty much just that. So far what I've been trying to do to make this "point light" is use a depth texture (Using a second camera as the scene depth node does not work for me for some reason and I have tried everything to get it to work properly but it only ever works in scene view and I don't feel like messing with it anymore) but I've been taking that depth texture and putting it into a remap node with the near and far clip plane so I get the depth in meters, then I planned to make a vector by taking the angle of the camera and the depth, then once I had that vector I would add the camera position to it to get the world position of each pixel in the image, then use a distance function to get the distance from that pixel to the object and color/modify that pixel accordingly. However, I am not able to get this to work and it seems like the fault is where I try to rotate the depth texture and get the world position of each pixel. Is there an easier way to make a "point light" in a shader? If not, then how can I go about getting the world position of each pixel in the depth texture?
    Sorry for no images, I am unable to get them at the time. If needed I can post some in the comments later.
    I am using the Shader graph in URP in unity 2022.1.7f1.