Search Unity

Shader Programming VS Shader Editor (e.g. NodeBased etc.) //Visual scripting VS Coding//

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by IAAAI, Aug 10, 2019.

1. IAAAI

IAAAI

Hello there!

My english is ok, but i try my best. :D
    I hope this kind of topic does not exist allrdy. At least i could not find one.
    If there is one, i am sry. :confused:

I want to learn to write shaders (Noob to maybe pro :cool:)
    BUT i was wondering if its even worth it, when there are allready e.g. node based solutions and other
    which allmost deal with (i dare say) everything with allmost no code involved from the user.
    (Shader-Graph, Amplify, UBER etc.)

Soooooo...I guess there is no easy answer.
    But bevor i "waste" my time, i must know if it is even the right choice to learn to write shaders anymore.

I hope i don't look like a complete idiot. :)

iAAAi o_O

Edit:
    "Allmost everything" = not true. Shaders = neverending Abyss
    Topic: Visual scripting vs coding

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Invertex

Invertex

This is a debate that has happened many times before, though usually in the form of "visual scripting vs coding".
    They both have their place. Visual scripting makes content easier to make for more artist centric teams or indies, and makes prototyping a breeze. But often they can't produce the most optimal code and add another layer of abstraction about what is happening behind the scenes, left to the will of how the visual scripting creator implemented things.

At the end of the day you want to learn to write your own code too, especially for shaders, as you'll be more flexible in developing solutions to problems and understanding why things should be done one way or another to be optimal for a given situation. And the skills you learn programming one language will help you pick up other languages a lot easier.

mandisaw and IAAAI like this.
  3. IAAAI

IAAAI

Fantastico! :D

Me stupido! I was so focused on shaders that i did not take a look at different words....:eek:

Thanks for your quick answer and sry for adding another thread to the pool. :oops:

I guess i should leave this thread as it is (minor changes) to catch stupidos like me. :confused::D