Search Unity

Shader Painter Beta

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CiconiaStudio, Jan 12, 2018.

1. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey everyone !

Shader Painter 1.5.0 is now in pending review and will be available in the next few days.
    Thank you very much for your patience and support !

DeBugs, sjm-tech and Mark_01 like this.
  2. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@CiconiaStudio Came across your asset on the Asset Store sale page. Looks pretty awesome :) but the 'Video tutorials' aren't tutorials at all - they're more like speed building demos. It's very difficult for someone new to the asset to work out what you're doing. Please consider redoing them slower, and talk through the process as you're doing it. Explain the reasons for each choice/click. It would really help!

So... since I can't work out what you're actually doing in your videos :) Can you explain in a bit more detail what the performance implication of using your asset is? What's actually going on?
    I'm mostly developing for VR so keeping an eye on drawcalls and texture atlasing for batching are pretty important in terms of performance optimisation. What's the overhead for all these lovely textured details that your painting all over your scene?

pixelsteam likes this.
  3. PixelPounder

PixelPounder

Congrats on what looks like a great asset... I bought it hoping great things will come. When do you expect Shader Painter to come out of beta status? And I assume a bunch of solid documentation and full tutorials will shortly follow that?

4. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey !
    Shader Painter v1.5.0 is out !

- Added Merge and Export Tool (BETA) (Standard shader only)
    (Only maps are supported for the moment. Sliders, colors and others will be supported soonly.
    Compiling is slow. Optimization should speed up the process significantly.)
    - Shader painter is now compatible with Unity Dark Theme
    - Shaders upgrades
    - Multi layers shaders now contains 3 layers to prevent build errors.
    - Fix upscaling for the painting resolution property
    - Bugs fix

Next steps in Shader Painter :
    Enhancement of the Merge and Export tool with among other things the support of Color, Intensity, Tiling and opacity.
    Correction of the LWRP errors and integration of HDRP support
    2 new shaders
    Animation Editor support and API
    Painting Optimization

Hi JeromeWork,

Yes you’re right. We have planned to make new and complete tutorial videos by the end of the beta. We are waiting on adding some important features before doing them.

Well, one of the most important strong point of Shader Painter is the ability to paint directly on pixels and not being polycount dependant. Thus you can paint instantly on any models imported or downloaded from the store. Our shaders have the same effect on performance as a regular shader doing the same effect (without the painting). There is a minor computation added in order to mix multiple shaders. At the end, you have as many draw calls as a regular shader. Moreover, with the new export feature, the standard shader can be compiled to the unity standard shader (or your own shader) and thus you can control exactly the complexity of rendering following your constraints in VR.

Hi GameWorxStudios, thank you for your support !

We have planned to release Shader Painter 2.0 early next year. Yes you are right, a big work will be done for the documentation and the tutorials. We are waiting for the implementation of some new UI and functionalities before.

ftejada, sjm-tech and Mark_01 like this.
  5. lorddesu

lorddesu

Any chance to see free limited/demo version of that tool? Seems super interesting but I definitely need to play with it before buy. The problem is I already have a fat pack of custom shaders but Shader Painter cant blend customs only build-in right? Cant see if that tool fits my workflow :(

6. HP

HP

7. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Yes, Shader Painter use build-in shaders, you can’t paint your own custom shaders. At some point we’ve planned to make Shader Painter compatible with Amplify shaders and the Unity shader Graph, but this will be after the beta release.

No demo version for now sorry.

Hello HP,
    This problem has been corrected. We will send the fix today. SP v1.5.1 should be available in few days.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mark_01 likes this.
  8. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi guys!
    Shader Painter v1.5.1 is available

v1.5.1
    - Merge and Export : Color + Intensity support
    - Now compiling create Unity materials
    - Compile button is gray when there is no painting
    - Change maps nomenclature when exporting
    - Fix namespace bug

Please let us know if you have any problems

tcmeric, DeBugs, sjm-tech and 2 others like this.
  9. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thank you for your hard work and the great updates! :)

DeBugs and CiconiaStudio like this.
  10. Davide1104

Davide1104

Man!!! Do you want also the moon ? :confused:
    I just bought this asset and for me is a very good alternative of substance painter for the cheaper cost. ;)

CiconiaStudio and DeBugs like this.
  11. Waterlane

Waterlane

Yep the moon would be just great thanks ;-)
    - just kidding. Those are features I'd like. I'm not saying they have to be made 'tomorrow', maybe goals to aim towards.
    oh and I've voted with my feet and purchased Shader Painter. :)
    (It's because I liked it, that I felt it could go on to do so much more... It's a compliment really :-D )

CiconiaStudio and DeBugs like this.
  12. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello WaterlaneStudios and Davide1104,
    We are glad you like Shader Painter and we are always happy to have suggestions! We would also love to implement all those features (we are indeed targeting the moon ;) ) but it will take us some time. We are a very small team and even though the sales of Shader Painter are good (people seems to like it!) we cannot afford to work on it full time. We are doing our best to make Shader Painter awesome and thank to your incredible support we can move forward and make it even better.
    In about one month we will celebrate the first year of Shader Painter on the store. You may not be there at the very beginning but if we look back at what was Shader Painter at the time and compare it with today version we can see gigantic differences. For instance the size of the code have been multiplied by more than 3 since last year.

Thank to your suggestions we are hopping to do at least as well for the second year as the first one.

PS: If you want to see an overview of the changes, you can look at the first videos we published and compare it to the current Shader Painter... You will see a lot of buttons are missing in the videos!

Waterlane, Mark_01 and CiconiaStudio like this.
  13. LoveIsGentle

LoveIsGentle

Hi, does your tool support custom shaders? If i wanted to use Amplify Shader editor for instance to add my own shaders to objects would that be possible?

14. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi,

Sorry but Shader Painter don’t support custom shaders for now. We have planned to work on Amplify Shader Editor and Unity graph support but I cannot give you any release dates.

george_00 likes this.
  15. george_00

george_00

I would definitely buy this tool if it integrated with Amplify shaders!

CiconiaStudio likes this.
  16. Zyblade

Zyblade

Would be definitely a good feature =) I implement those masks already in my own amplify shader, but built in nodes would be pretty awesome^^

17. aleciuf

aleciuf

Hi, I agree with you as a happy user of Amplify Shader... Could I ask you as a little OT how did you implement those masks in ASE?

18. Waterlane

Waterlane

'just wondering how development is going? :)

19. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hello Waterlane,

We are still working hard on it, we just finished the new version v 1.5.2 and it should be available on the Unity store in few days.

We have never been so close to the final release ! Some optimisations remain and big changes like the integrations of SRP and Substance support are coming soon.

Stay tuned !

20. Waterlane

Waterlane

Great to hear :-D

21. Mark_01

Mark_01

Substance support WOW nice, thank you.

22. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! I sent you guys an email :)

Edit: I cant see any texture slot for heightmaps??? does it have to be in the albedo???

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  23. mattis89

mattis89

Is this asset still in development? Or is it abandoned like all other painters?

24. Flurgle

Flurgle

25. mattis89

mattis89

26. HonKasumi

HonKasumi

hello, can i paint pixel textures with hard edges with this asset??

27. Flurgle

Flurgle

:( hopefully you get support

28. mattis89

mattis89

yea they have much going on, they replied to my email. They work on this asset

recon0303 likes this.
  29. DrInternet

DrInternet

Hello,

I just noticed there is a asset postprocessor implemented in Shader Painter. Please consider disabling in by default as it messes with other assets (i.e. Manufactura K4 is naming their heightmaps as XYZ_bump).

Also please consider using white spaces in your scripts. I'm really not into clean code myself, but that's a bit too much.

30. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi everyone,
    The new version is in pending review and will be probably available this week.

Sorry guys for the lack of news last month. We have had some troubles in the last update.
    If you are already using Shader Painter in your project, there is some instructions to follow to prevent any reset of your work.

Before importing the package in your project :
    • Close the Shader Painter Tab
    • Delete ShaderPainter.cs and Menus.cs (Ciconia Studio\Editor Extensions\Shader Painter\Scripts)
    • Import the new package from the store but make sure to uncheck the Shaders folder (Ciconia Studio\Editor Extensions\Shader Painter\Resources\Shaders)
    Importing the new shaders within an older project will reset all your painting. If by mistake you have imported the Shaders folder, simply replace the shaders with the ones contains in “SP 1.5.1_Built-In Renderer Shaders.rar”
    We are already working on a fix

v1.5.2 :
    - Merge and Export : Tiling/Offset + Opacity support
    - Shader painter dll
    - Add Snow Shader
    - Unity materials are now compiling in maps folder
    - Fix albedo map not assigned in unity materials when compiling

Only 1 update remains for Shader Painter in our schedule before the SPv2.0 RC release.
    Stay tuned guys, the machinery has been set in motion ! ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  31. GLagolick

GLagolick

Shader Painter slill no have HDRP support? :c I hope it will be available soon..

32. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi,
    HDRP support is planned for the version v2.0 RC. I can’t tell you any release date for now but It won't be very long.
    LWRP is already fully integrated and will be available in v1.5.3.

Mark_01 and ftejada like this.
  33. Waterlane

Waterlane

More layers... Sbsar… HDRP... still in the pipeline? :)

34. nova234

nova234

Hi @CiconiaStudio ,

I want to buy you product, but waiting still on Patch 1.5.3, for the LWRP/ URP integration. Any Infos about the release? its now 3 month without any response from you.

Greets Nova

35. Meheraj7

Meheraj7

Hello
    We have recently purchased your asset "Shader Painter" Unfortunately we faced a problem with the compilation. Before pressing compile we did a basic setup of the textures. after hitting compile it does not look the same. Could you help us understand how to fix this. See the pictures attached for better understanding

Attached Files:

36. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that we are still working on Shader Painter.The problem was that the studio was going through a very difficult period and we had to focus on paid projects since the summer.
    Everything comes back in order now.

We will get back to work on the version 1.5.3 early december. And the release will probably be on January.
    This version will include LWRP and HDRP support. And depending on how things are going we will include the Substance maps support.

Thanks !

keypax, byCDW, Shodan0101 and 3 others like this.
  37. Waterlane

Waterlane

Great News! - Looking forward to HDRP (2019.3+...) support. :)

38. mattis89

mattis89

Hey! Is shader painter compatible with Unity 2019.2.10f1?

39. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hello Mattis,

It would seem that Shader Painter is broken with 2019 versions. We are working on it. A fix will be sent this week.

Shodan0101 and mattis89 like this.
  40. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi guys
    The fix for Unity 2019 is available !

Thanks !

Shodan0101 and mattis89 like this.
  41. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. do you have some informations about the upcoming HDRP support.

42. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

hi.
    it will be soon to support HDRP and LWRP ?

43. _legolas_

_legolas_

Hello, I have just purchased but i have issue need your help. When I change to painting mode, the cursor change to denied instead brush cursor. It work on some mesh, please let me know what is the problem, how can I check and solve to problem so that I can paint texture on my mesh.

Attached Files:

44. magique

magique

I don't have this asset, but similar assets require a collider on the mesh to do this sort of thing. You might want to check that.

45. byCDW

byCDW

Try to pick another brush. I had this issue a few times.

46. Exeneva

Exeneva

Hi, I have an interesting problem. I foolishly went with CTS for my terrain shader without realizing it has no vertical mesh blending.

I'm hoping to use this asset to paint the area where the rocks intersect with the terrain, that way there is a little bit of a grass texture blend with the rock. Is this possible with this asset? Also, if a bunch of rocks are using a blend of two materials, what is the performance impact? Can any beta users chime in here on the performance implications?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  47. Waterlane

Waterlane

Any updates..?

48. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi Waterlane,
    Yes ! I have good news for Shader Painter. We are finalizing the new version (2020 RC) in the next few days. This version will include URP and HDRP support. However, it will still not be possible to drag and drop .Sbsar directly in Shader Painter.
    To use the substances you will have to open the Sbsar and manually select the textures to drag them into Shader Painter.

Several videos will follow when this version will be released. So do not hesitate to subscribe to our YouTube channel to be informed.

Hi Exeneva,
    Yes, you can totally use Shader Painter for that. However, it must be understood that Shader Painter was not created to paint on the Unity terrain and that it uses its own built-in shaders. So you cannot paint on shaders other than our built-in Shaders.

The standard shader built into SP has been created taking the Unity standard as reference and therefore has the same specificities in terms of graphics and performances. The Shaders have a performance cost as high as the same shaders without Shader Painter.
    They have the best possible performances for the effects they are supposed to produce. I hope this last sentence makes sens :)

sjm-tech and Waterlane like this.
  49. Waterlane

Waterlane

Hey there - It's been a while since the last release... - wondering how it's going now (good to see your last post)?
    My needs have changed a bit now - In particular I'd like to vertex paint prefab's (lighten/darken & tint).
    How will the coming release work over a large number of prefabs (hundreds+)?
    Cheers.

50. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi Waterlane,
    Painting on multiple objects is planned. In the main lines, each object which will have been previously added to Shader Painter can be painted without being selected.

Regarding vertex painting, Unity already provides a very good vertex painting tool. That’s why we’re not considering adding this feature at this time. What we can do, however, is make our shaders compatible with Polybrush. And in this case make Shader Painter a kind of addon to Polybrush.

nick_dv and Waterlane like this.