Search Unity

Shader Painter Beta

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CiconiaStudio, Jan 12, 2018.

1. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Yes, exactly! This is the idea, adding details without limitations :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  2. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey!
    Shader Painter Beta v1.4 is available.

v1.4 :
    - Skinned meshes support
    - Now you can switch from a shader to another one without losing the mask
    - Now you can rename the multi ID materials
    - Added shortcut "L" to switch between layers (Multi layers shader)
    - Added Undo/Redo (Ctrl+Z/Ctrl+Y) support in Shader Mode
    - Fixed naming issue with multi ID objects
    - Fixed an error when selecting a new object in Shader Painter in some particular conditions

Mark_01, DeBugs and MarkusGod like this.
  3. magique

magique

This looks very promising. However, your tutorial video shows you painting on a simple plane that previously had no material assigned. Does this also work on a regular mesh that already has a standard shader and materials assigned?

4. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, thank you for your question.
    There is a limitation in unity: you can't have more than one material per object. If your object already have a material, Shader Painter will change it to one of our shader. But, since we are generous gods, standard proprieties of the previous material will be conserved in the new shader. If you use standard shaders, most of the time you will not see any changes when you start to paint.
    Yes, magique,Shader Painter is magic ;)

5. namdo

namdo

What i'm using a jean moreno toon shader? How will it work?

6. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello namdo, thank you for your question and sorry for the late reply.
    Shader Painter doesn't work with any shaders. The shaders need to have some code that makes the painting works. That's why only our shaders included in Shader Painter can be painted.
    When the tool create the material, it looks at previous maps and shader proprieties to automatically add it to our shader. That's why I said "If you use standard shaders, most of the time you will not see any changes when you start to paint." The subtility here is "standard shaders". Sorry, but if you don't use standard shaders, like jean moreno toon shaders this will only look like a standard shader with only the same colors and textures.

If you want to paint a toon shaders you have to wait until we add one in Shader Painter.

CiconiaStudio likes this.
  7. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey everyone!
    Shader Painter Beta v1.4.1 is available.

- SRP (LWRP) support
    - Added Metallic/Rough Light mode
    - Now you can create folder in sub object menu by adding "/" in custom name

Keep the Sub-Object menu more organized :

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  8. nick_dv

nick_dv

First off, this is really a nice asset! I like it a lot, but would like it even more if you consider to add support for Amplify Shader Editor. Is this something I can hope for?

CiconiaStudio and DeBugs like this.
  9. The-Creature-Queen

The-Creature-Queen

As for people commenting or having thoughts about this working on terrains, you need to approach objects and terrains differently. There are other assets that allow you to have multiple terrain splat maps or tessellation, and are extremely extensive. If this one patches in the holes Unity is lacking to feel more like 3D coat or other state of the art texturing softwares, it is doing everything missing right now!

DeBugs likes this.
  10. The-Creature-Queen

The-Creature-Queen

Hi benevolent shader gods! I am photographing and converting many quality textures to use with Shader Painter in my own projects. Each individual texture includes all maps separately, along with the height/gloss put into their respective alpha channels.

If put my packs on the asset store for others to purchase, is it ok for me to advertise "Shader Painter Compatible" as a selling point? I'd like to screencap my Shader Painter inspector settings for tiling and the intensity values for each texture, and show screencaps of the results in Unity using your program. (So users could get my results.) My pack of course, would use no files that came with Shader Painter itself and doesn't require Shader Painter to use.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and if not, I'll just keep it as a standard pack.

11. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, thank you for the compliment and sorry for the late reply, we were busy.
    If by adding support for Amplify Shader Editor you mean "create your shader in Amplify and then use it in shader painter" then the answer is yes, we would love to do that. Unfortunately that is not easy (else it will be already available). As I said in previous posts, in order to work in shader painter, a shader need to have some special jam in it. This special part cannot be entirely done in Amplify so we have to develop a program that change a shader from Amplify to a shader usable in Shader Painter... I don't know if I explain it clearly but in summary, we have work to do before that's become possible.
    Moreover, one of the perks of Shader Painter is its UI. We are doing everything to make Shader Painter user-friendly. (if you look at all the update we have done, you can see that is one of our priority) But if everyone can make its own shader, how the UI should look like ? We need to think about that (and if you have any suggestion we will take it!)
    So yes, at a time it will be done, but don't expect to have it in the next few days...

Hi ! thank you for your interest in Shader Painter!
    Yes of course you can sell "Shader Painter Compatible" assets! We would be proud.
    If you want to show settings to your customers, there will be soon a new feature you will like for sure: presets. With this, you can give a simple file that contain all your Shader Painter settings so the customer just have to add it to its project. This feature is still in development but it may be available during this month, hopefully.
    Have a great day using Shader Painter!

12. EHG_Unity

EHG_Unity

Can you paint on Unity terrain with this tool?

DeBugs likes this.
  13. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello,
    Not directly. You have to convert the Unity terrain to a mesh and then you can paint it.

14. jgjkkkxghckukuktukuuyjuAniow

jgjkkkxghckukuktukuuyjuAniow

Hello. Recently I bought an asset.

And I can write with full confidence that your drawing tool is the future for game engines. Your drawing tool allows you to save time and effort.
    For the sake of experiment. I tried to make in a professional 3D editor a large patch of terrain with the correct UV map. When I was drawing, I was very surprised at the good performance of your tool. It is very cool. ;)

A few questions
    1. Would you like to make your own PBR texture generator?

2. Most of the time I work in 3D Coat. 3D Coat allows you to store PBR material in a simple and compressed file format "3dcpack". This file contains textures and one data file "pbrm").
    Hence the question. Do you plan to do Materials support from the 3D Coat Editor?

3. Can you please add the map projection option?
    For example, when drawing, change the method of projecting a shader (texture) using a cube mapping, a Cylindrical, a Spherical, From Camera.

I think this option would be useful to very many people.
    This will allow the paint in some parts of the UV map without seams.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  15. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, thank you for your kind words. Again we are replying a bit late because we had to investigate before answering.
    Let's take the question in order.
    1. Probably not. We may add substance support (since it's well integrated in unity) but we have to wait until it matures. (don't worry, we have a lot of other thing to do with Shader Painter :) ) The version 2018.1 change a lot of thing for substance.
    Doing a whole PBR generator is a lot of work and we think other tools can do it for now. We have already planned some new feature for Shader Painter to help the creation of texture (like texture packs, add texture patch for instance)

2. About 3D Coat, we have looked a bit on the 3dcpack. It seams that a simple support of the file is feasible without so much difficulty. However we don't know yet if we will be able to retreive all data in the pbrm file. We don't have the specification of the file so we might have to retro-engeneer it (which may have random behaviours sometimes...) We don't use 3D Coat ourself but we will try to add support in future release.

3. We would like to know what are your motivation exactly on this (because we are curious) We already planned to add triplanar shader (so you wont have seams with this). Will this be a solution to your use case? Spherical or cylindrical projection should still be possible. We have to be measure the importance of this to add it to our development planning.

Hope it helps. If you have more question or if you need precisions, feel free to ask.
    Thank you again for your questions and remarks.

16. RaiuLyn

RaiuLyn

Hi, I'm very intrigued by your tool.

Do you have any documentation to read up its ins and outs before buying it? I'm hesitant when I don't see manuals to explain how the workflow looks and works. Explaining what your built-in shaders can do also helps.

For example, how do I create custom shaders? Like reflection effects and fogs? What about animated effects like rivers and such?

I understand that Shader Paint is in Beta but from what I've seen. I like that you're applying decals onto the materials itself than masking around the material.

Thanks.

17. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello,

We have a documentation but it is included with the package. I don't want to publish it here since it changes at each new update, can you send an email here contact@ciconia-studio.com asking for it?
    You can also watch the videos, even if Shader Painter had a lot of upgrade since, most of the feature are shown.

About your question: you can't create custom shaders. At least not yet.We are thinking of an integration of amplify shader but it's not ready yet. For now you have to use our shaders. (by the way you can use the water shader to do reflection). We don't have animated shader yet, but we have made some test with a river shader that use a flowmap. Maybe in the future you will be able to also paint flow.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  18. jgjkkkxghckukuktukuuyjuAniow

jgjkkkxghckukuktukuuyjuAniow

Such options will help many 3D artists.
    Simply put, drawing will become very flexible and convenient.
    Especially with regard to terrain, buildings or large objects.

Also, it would be nice to add a Brush with the ability to fill one polygon.
    That is, clicking in the area of one polygon, it would be painted completely.
    This, too, will save a lot of time.

I work long enough in 3D Coat, so I am confident in my words. ;)

19. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hey,
    OK we will consider adding projection then.

A brush that fill a polygon is planned.

Thank again for your remarks.

20. Mark_01

Mark_01

Hello, sorry to ask again, maybe i missed it... Does Shader Painter export the maps yet ?
    If not is this still on the " to do list " ? To my way of thinking, once / if Shader Painter can export maps...
    then really there is no worry about other shader's or compatibility...
    something along the lines of " another painter type asset " sold here, so that it can be used in a main separate stand alone project and then use the resulting map out puts in a new project with out the need to have it installed..
    if that makes sense ?

Thank you.

DeBugs likes this.
  21. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, no need to apologize!
    Yes and even more, it's currently in development. It should be available in the next major update 1.5 if everything goes well. (we may have a small update next week beforehand)
    It's a lot of work so we hope you will like it.

22. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thank you so much for your hard work on this point. I do not have a clue how to code, so i can not
    really appreciate how much work it is, but to be sure, it is appreciated for sure!

I do believe tho, that this feature will lead eventually to a lot of sales :)

With all the different packages to build levels, the only real problem is that they will
    all look the same in a game... So for me I think the ability to change these " common " packs a bit, with extra or even full replacement materials, would make all these packs much easier to re-purpose.

This is what leads me to believe Shader Painter has a very bright long future ahead of it ! :)
    Thanks again

DeBugs likes this.
  23. DeBugs

DeBugs

Thank you for your kind words :)
    We also hope Shader Painter will help a lot of Unity users.

24. Zenneth

Zenneth

Hi, I need to paint Vertex Color (Not Color on the texture nor Materials) on Character with Skinned Mesh.
    Can Shader Painter do this?

25. DragonTTK

DragonTTK

I tried your asset but when i tried to leave solo-mode it wouldn't do anything so i tried closing unity, switching scenes, deleting model im painting, and then just deleting asset but still am locked how can i get out of this?

26. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello,
    Skinned Mesh is support by Shader Painter but not vertex painting. This tool only paint shaders, as the name suggests.
    I am curious, why do you need to paint on vertex?
    Hello, sorry if that was a bug. Can you tell us what your did so that will not happens any more?
    The solo mode disable every objects. If you want to have your objects enable again, you have to select everything in the hierarchy and in the inspector you have to check the box close to the name field (top left of the inspector)
    Hopes that it will fix .your problem.

27. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hello,
    The v1.4.2 is available!

- Added new brush menu
    - Added new brushes
    - Now when staying at the same spot doesn't paint multiple time
    - Fixed several bugs where some properties don’t work correctly

Now you can add custom folders in the Brushes folder. Shader Painter will automatically add a new button in the inspector.

28. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hi.

Is it possible to paint onto tree meshes. The tree itself, and the leaves.
    Specifically snow, but also moss etc

Both Speedtrees, and Unity trees. But also maybe other tree models?

Forgive the basic question.

Thanks for any help and feedback..

29. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi,
    Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately not. When importing a model in Shader Painter the tool replace the shader so it won’t be affected by the wind anymore. We will think about adding a vegetation shader at some point.

The good news is with the v1.5 introducing the map exporter feature you will be able to paint on the tree as you like, save the maps and use it with any other vegetation shaders.

30. JDrem1

JDrem1

HI and thank you so much for the reply.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  31. Mynameismow

Mynameismow

Hi,
    I've hit a bit of a snag...
    So far I've imported Shader Painter into a brand new project and followed your starting tutorial.
    Below is what I am receiving from Unity...

My error count reached 999+ before I cleared it.

Attached Files:

32. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, and sorry about that.
    Are you on a Mac? After rethinking maybe this is caused by the latest update 1.4.2 on Mac and we have no Mac to test at the moment.

Thank you for reporting your error.

33. Mynameismow

Mynameismow

Yep, I'm running on Mac :)

34. DeBugs

DeBugs

Ok sorry Mac users!
    I think I have made a fix but this should be tested. I am going to PM you with some instructions to fix temporary the issue while waiting for unity validation to have it on the store.

If there is other mac users stepping by, you can PM me to get the fix.

35. DavidGon

DavidGon

Hello,
    This plugin can paint with the new shaders of the High-Definition Render Pipelane?
    Thanks!

36. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello,
    No sorry, not yet. For now, in addition to regular shaders, the only custom supported is the Lightweight Render Pipeline.

37. tostegroo

tostegroo

I'm having the same issue, can you Pm me with the instructions as well?

Thanks,

38. DeBugs

DeBugs

PM sent.

39. TheWarper

TheWarper

Hi there, so when I click on a game object in the scene view that uses a substance (with the Shader Painter window open) it just turns it to a grey appearance and the only way to revert is to close and reopen the editor. Using Unity 2017.3 and 2018.1

40. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, sorry for the late reply, I have some issues with forum notifications.
    Substances are not yet supported by Shader Painter but this should not happen. Is it the Shader Painter window that become gray or the whole editor? If it's the editor the issue can come from Unity itself.
    Anyway, we are working on a fix, at least to not make everything explode if you click on a substance... Please stay tune.

TheWarper and Mark_01 like this.
  41. TheWarper

TheWarper

Thanks! It's just for the object that I select that becomes grey. And the only way to fix it is to restart the editor.

42. DeBugs

DeBugs

Just the object? then that's only our fault! Sorry Unity Editor, I have been mean without proof...
    That's the first time I see that kind of bug but I think it's going to be easy to fix

TheWarper and Mark_01 like this.
  43. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hello everyone!
    Shader Painter Beta v1.4.3 is available.

- Added double sided shaders
    - Fix incompatibility with substance that break the mesh (Issue remains for Unity 2018 and higher)
    - Fix regretion that prevent Shader Painter to work on Macs
    - Fix a bug when switching between standard and multi layers
    - Fix a bug where the brush appears on the mesh sometimes

TheWarper, Mark_01 and DeBugs like this.
  44. DeBugs

DeBugs

@Mynameismow and @tostegroo, you don't need the patch I sent you in DM, you can update to the last version of Shader Painter.
    @TheWarper your problem as been fix on version before 2018.1 Sorry but we need more work for version >= 2018.1. (substance have totally changed in this version)

Thank you all for reporting the bugs!

TheWarper and CiconiaStudio like this.
  45. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello @ CiconiaStudio,

Hey man, I want to buy your asset but I have a couple of questions: Have you try this is Xbox One?, Does the asset depends on UV mapping? Meaning if my model is tiled mapped, will the painting show on unexpected parts of the model or the asset creates its own UVs for painting? Like Lightmap does

Regards,
    Carlos

46. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello @strongbox3d,
    Yes Shader Painter works on Xbox one.
    For your second question I am not sure I understand the question but I think everything should go well... Please, wait for the confirmation of @CiconiaStudio who knows better this subject.

Thank you for your interest in Shader Painter

47. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

You are welcome! It looks like an awesome asset. If the answer from CiconiaStudio is as expected i surely will buy it!

48. Trenza

Trenza

Hello there,

This plugin is really something and very cool to use with Unity, it will help my team to work on more precise environments textures with a great facility. However I have a big issue with Unity 2018 (Shader painter v1.4.3) and the Lightweight SRP template where specials LW SRP shaders are not working at all.

Errors come from an "undeclared identifier 'SamplerGI' " (Image with the package demo scene and the errors)

Attached Files:

49. TheWarper

TheWarper

I've tried using the LW and HD SRP a few times and they're super broken :cool:

50. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi,
    Yes the asset depends on the uvs of your models but the painting will not be affected by the tiling. So you can paint wherever you want on tiled mapped objects ;)

Thanks for reporting the bug. I will dig into that to see what’s going on.