Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Painter Beta

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CiconiaStudio, Jan 12, 2018.

1. francescobr

francescobr

Hi, this asset looks great, I'm wondering if someone has ever used it on low poly faceted models, and if so would you kindly share some of the results you achieved?

2. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi,
    Thank you for your interest in Shader Painter.

Because the tool is still in beta the shaders have not yet been optimized for mobile devices.
    It will certainly be done during the beta phase.

Hey! I made a quick .gif for you.
    Shader Painter works pretty well with very low poly models. But be aware that SP paint on UV's so be careful with overlapping uv's assets (commonly used for faceted models).

Attached Files:

3. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

Hi, will i be able to paint over unity terrains? or it only works on meshes?

4. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi,
    Only on meshes. Unity terrain support is not planned at the moment.

5. francescobr

francescobr

Wow that's neat! I'm not that adept regarding UVs, I have to study a bit, but I'm really interested, thank you

CiconiaStudio likes this.
  6. francescobr

francescobr

@CiconiaStudio I bought the asset just an hour ago and I'm trying to play with it, but without success for now.
    I'm trying to use it with Synty polygon dungeon assets like this :

1) I select the object I want to paint, remove all colliders and click create shader
    2) I select albedo and normal map from the textures of the object in layer 1
    3) I select albedo, normal, specular and ambient of what I want to draw on it
    4) I go into paint mode and draw

Unfortunately it looks like I cannot paint details, but just highlight parts of my low poly models. I don't understand if this is right since it is low poly or if I'm doing something wrong.

In addition I'm also getting lots of errors that make unity become unresponsive after a few minutes.

ciconia error.png

7. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey, thank you for your support!

Your workflow is correct. It sounds like there is a problem with the Uv's. Could you take a look at the Uv's of the model you try to paint, and see if there is no overlapping in there?
    Don't hesitate to edit your comment with a screenshot or to send me the images at contact@ciconia-studio.com

About the errors, they have been fixed in Shader Painter v1.2. This messages can appear because the Select Prefab slot is empty while you are still in paint mode. Selecting Shader mode in that case should fix your problem for now.
    The version 1.2 will be available very soon.

One other thing : you no longer need to remove the colliders by hand, now Shader Painter take care of this automatically.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. francescobr

francescobr

I'd like to post an image of the UVs, but I don't know how I can see if there's overlapping. Could you please tell me how?
    What I wanted to be undestand is also if you need to have albedo, normals, specular and ambient just to paint or if only albedo, or albedo and normals are enough, since my assets only have normals texture for walls and floors, and no specular and ambient.

I sent you a email with a video showing what I get.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

I was just looking at your email. Yes, it seems there is a problem with the uvs. A quick test if you want to be sure is to set the checker texture attached into the albedo slot. If the color or the numbers are stretched or if you can't see any numbers, that means that the uvs have not been correctly unfolded (Like I said earlier this is quite common for this kind of model where only colors are needed).

Unfortunately, the only way to make Shader Painter work with your model is to unwrap the model by yourself using an external 3D software (like Blender).

For our part, in future release, the only thing we can do to prevent this kind of situations is to make Shader Painter able to use textures in world coordinates. This will certainly be done in the future but it’s not planned for now. Sorry for the bad news :/

You don’t need all the maps to use Shader Painter. And if you want you can also paint only a color or a gloss value.

Attached Files:

10. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi I wanted to know Are you looking into Amplify Shader integration yet for Shader Painter?

11. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, thank you for your question.
    It would be awesome to be able to add shaders from Amplify Shader into Shader Painter and we will certainly work on it. For now we are working on releasing a version of Shader Painter without bugs and with all basics features needed by most of users. This is an advanced feature and thus it will be probably available in few months.

Thank you for the proposition!

Mark_01, coverpage and CiconiaStudio like this.
  12. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey everyone!
    Shader Painter Beta v1.2 is available.

v1.2 :
    - Added Multi Materials ID support
    - Shader Painter window update automatically when you select an object in the scene.
    - Now the Undo or Redo features affect the entire stroke.
    - Added shortcut "R" to switch rotation angles (Make sure to disable Random Angle)
    - Added shortcut "S" Enable/Disable SoloMode
    - Improve code robustness.
    - Fix bug when model is deleted with Solo Mode active.
    - Fix a bug when deleted other objects in hierarchy when Solo mode active
    - Fix a bug where shader painter reset mask on duplicated objects when Unity restart.
    - Fix bug mouse over other objects error.
    - Fix bug no renderer paint mode, disable Paint mode and Create shader button in that case.
    - Fix bug Unity freeze (brush bug).
    - Fix bug where materials were not correctly created in the materials folder
    - Fix bug where Heightmap blend mask checkbox switch On/Off when object are (re)selected.
    - And some minor bugs fixes.

Mark_01 and DeBugs like this.
  13. DeBugs

DeBugs

@Emerald_Eel_Entertainment : As you can see your suggested undo feature is live in version 1.2 ! hope you like it and thank you again for your suggestion.

@francescobr : The bug you mention should be fixed now in the new version 1.2. Thank for the report.

14. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

And here comes the latest update :cool:

v1.21 :
    - Added new Brush/Eraser/Ban cursors
    - Added 6 new brushes
    - Closing Unity will now disable SoloMode automatically
    - The Shader Painter window remains open in Playmode
    - Fix a bug when importing object without materials attached (Pink) generate an error

15. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Im also wondering at some point will this have a material library similiar to Surforge or even Substance

16. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Integrating a material library to Shader Painter will be awesome ! However, since the very first goal of this tool is to paint materials effects i cannot say with certainty if this will be integrated at some point.

On the other hand, painting substances using Shader Painter are totally planned. Actually we are already working on it ;)

Mark_01 and Shodan0101 like this.
  17. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Okay well all in all sounds pretty neat, I'm excited.And a material library sometime in the future would be really cool i hope to see it, I can see alot being done with it. Also you guys experimenting with substances is great and means it shouldn't be that hard to integrate Amplify shader in the next few months.

18. dvr7

dvr7

Can the version number on the SP window updated? (in the question mark).. it still shows 1.0 and its useful to check between projects to see if I have the latest already imported

19. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Yes, normally you should see Shader Painter version Beta 1.2 (even if it’s the 1.21 ;)
    We will change the number here for each update, for this time it is an mistake of mine.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  20. Joseguepardo

Joseguepardo

Hi! I just bought your plugin today, and I was wondering, maybe do you have a date for the next update? The moment I bought it I thought it had multiple layers, but I only have two and now I'm facing a little trouble because of that :/ I've read in this thread that you are implementing it, but do you maybe have a date? I'm currently working on a project and I need to know if I can wait for the next update or if I must continue with what is currently in the product.

21. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi,
    thank you for your interest in Shader Painter.

Yes, the multi layers support will come very soon.
    This feature will be implemented in the v1.3 which is planned to be available in the next two weeks.
    Also we will upgrade the shaders already available with a lot of new features per layers.

Mark_01, Shodan0101, DeBugs and 2 others like this.
  22. MostHated

MostHated

Hey there, I bought this when it came out but didn't really use it yet. I am now starting to do work on my map and what not and I had a question. I use Gaia, GeNa, and CTS, would I be able to use this on terrain along with CTS, or would that not work?

Mark_01 likes this.
  23. coverpage

coverpage

Hi, this is not a terrain shader, so you can't use it on terrains. You can use CTS it is better suited for that. You can use SP for meshes, so if you have other models to place onto your terrain, you can use SP to add details to these models.

So cts for terrain, Gaia for shaping the terrain, SP to draw details on meshes, Gena to place these meshes onto the terrain.

24. MostHated

MostHated

Ah, very good. Thanks. : ) I am still learning all of the art and map side of things, I usually just stick to coding, lol.

25. Cecrit

Cecrit

Hey,

This looks like a great tool. I don't like vertex tools because of all the unnecessary vertecies they need, so this looks like the perfect alternative. But I have a small question. It parallex or tesselation integrated in the standard shader or are there plans to integrate them?
    VertexTools Pro supports them and I think they look really awesome.

Thanks in advance

26. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, thank you for your question.
    As you can see in the wind demo video there is already tesselation included in this particular shader. Our studio already sell parallax shader too. So we know how to make it and it will available soon in Shader Painter. Since this will have a huge impact on shader compatibility and performance we have to be sure everything works before the release (and not broke everyone projects...)
    We have still a lot of works to do for a lot of things in Shader Painter and we are working hard on it. This is not our first priority but this will came when we update our shaders in like one or two month hopefully.

Mark_01 and CiconiaStudio like this.
  27. Sparty

Sparty

Loving this so far! Great tool! I'm most looking forward to being able to use more then 2 texture sets =)

Thanks,
    -Eric

DeBugs and CiconiaStudio like this.
  28. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Thank you Eric! We are glad you like it. The multi layers shader will be available shortly ;)

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey!
    Shader Painter Beta v1.22 is available.

- Added resolution control. Now you can choose the painting resolution between Low, Medium, High and Very High (In Paint mode).
    - Now you can create cubemaps directly in Shader Painter (for the Water/Dx11 shaders)
    - Improve painting speed with multiple ID models
    - The Blend2maps has been renamed Standard
    - Fix a bug when importing a mesh with multiple ID having the same name.
    - Fix a bug when activate play mode with solo mode enable
    - Fix a bug when saving the scene with solo mode enable.

Mark_01 likes this.
  30. recon0303

recon0303

Hi, tool looks great. a few questions, what plat forms does it support, Android, XB1, PS4? switch etc?

Also, if I made say my brick textures, in substance designer... and I wanted to add detail over it with say your shader painter.. is this possible? for fine detail what not? Thanks... or would we need to turn into a texture rather than the substance ? Thanks.

31. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello !
    Shader Painter support PC, XBOX 1 and PS4. Android should works but it may be a bit heavy. We will release lighter shaders for mobile platform. Switch support is planed.

You can use substance designer to generate texture but as you said you have to convert it to texture. Substance are not supported yet but it's also planed. We can't do it now easily because there is a lot of modification with substance in the next unity 2018 and we need to know exactly the changes. But that's one of our priority!

hope it answer your questions!

recon0303 likes this.
  32. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Is it possible that custom painted shaders on an object can have the new textures baked into a single diffuse, normal and specular map for an object? For example the tent meshes that come with the asset could have holes, wetness and dirt baked into a brand new texture for a material.

33. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello,
    Water, holes and wind are effects based on shaders so they can't be reduced to a single texture.
    Since version 1.2 it's possible to paint on subobject so you can cut your 3D model and paint water on some part and wind on another.
    The good news is that we are currently working on multi-layers shaders that could include all this effects at once. With this you could paint, let's say, water and then by clicking a button you can paint holes. This could lead to heavy shaders and we have to be sure it's fully optimized before the release.
    Thank you for your support!

Mark_01 and CiconiaStudio like this.
  34. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Do these shaders work as a second material to the pre-existing material, or do we have to set up models with these shaders in the first place?

35. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello,
    To my knowledge there is no possibility to have multiple material on the same object. You have tu use our shaders but don't worry! Shader Painter add the shader to your object automatically. Shader Painter has been designed to have as much option as you want so you can hopefully do what you wanted to do with 2 materials. If you watch the video you can see all the options that was available in version 1 of Shader Painter. We keep adding more and more options.
    To summary: You can't use your material with shader painter but you can surely have the same result with our shaders.

36. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

The shaders work for UV and world space (UV free) cases?

37. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi,
    The shaders use the UV coordinates to paint on the models. So your model will need correct unwrapping in order to work as good as possible in Shader Painter.
    If possible we will integrate triplanar features, but this won’t be available during the beta phases

38. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello @CiconiaStudio,

Would this shader work on Xbox One? That's the platform I am working for. Also, how much does affects performance? Any benchmark on that?

Regards,
    Carlos

39. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello strongbox3d,
    Yes, our shaders works on Xbox one.
    About the performance we haven't made any benchmarks yet. Since we are still in beta, we keep improving the shaders (version 1.3 will bring a lot of changes!). We are still looking for the best protocol to test it. Our shaders should have the same impact on performance than any shaders doing the same thing without painting. The "standard" shader in shader painter is very close to the unity "standard" shader and should be as fast.

We will ping you if we make any progress on the benchmark. It will be done hopefully for the final release.

40. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

@DeBugs,

Thank you for your prompt response. It is very helpful.

Regards,
    Carlos

DeBugs likes this.
  41. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi guys!
    Shader Painter Beta v1.3 is available.

- Multi layers support (4 Layers)
    - Added new layer features.
    General Tiling : Control the tiling by layer
    Opacity : Change the opacity by layer
    Added Desaturation / Saturation / Brightness control
    The heightmap constraint by the painted mask now can be selected by layers
    Added paint mode button for each paintable layers
    - Now you can choose the resolution for the custom cubemaps (for water/Dx11 shaders)
    - Improve code robustness.
    - Fixed a bug where the painting didn’t save correctly on some multi ID materials
    - And some minor bugs fixes.

Mark_01 likes this.
  42. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Trying out Shader Painter again on another asset I purchased some time ago. It's really good. I'll upload an example picture of something I'm working on real soon. :)

EDIT: I had a cutout shader working on a plane, then I came here to type my comment and upon coming back the textures reset themselves. Bummer.

EDIT 2: Oh no, the material now freaks out whenever I scrool zoom in or hover my cutout paint brush over the mesh. Pressing the eye button on and off seems to fix it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  43. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Okay, here's the practice I did using those assets!

Attached Files:

44. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Ho! Well i tried to reproduce the bug, but it was unsuccessful. Can you try to recreate this reset? Let me know if it happens again.

Nice image, thank you for sharing!

45. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

I'll be sure to let you know if it does.

No problem. Shame I couldn't get the cutout to fade at the edges though.

46. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Latest Update!

v1.31 :
    - Compatibility with Unity 2018
    - Added “Wrap Mode” feature (Choose the paint mode between Clamp or Repeat)
    - Fix bug preventing build

Shodan0101 likes this.
  47. Cecrit

Cecrit

I'm having a lot of fun using the asset, works just as I anticipated. Will there be an extra texture slot for heightmaps I'm the future? I know you can use the heightmap as the alpha channel of the texture, but that always requires some extra steps and makes it harder to adjust a heightmap later on. Having a dedicated slot for the heightmap would greatly improve my workflow!

Other than that, are there plans to support SRP in the future? I know it was not advertised and i don't know how hard that integration is, but it would definitely be awesome and a great selling point for future customers. :)

Keep up the great work, guys!

48. Arganth

Arganth

when is the map exporter planned approximately? :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  49. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi Cecrit,
    We are glad you like the tool!

Adding extra texture are not planned for now (during the beta phases) since we are dealing with Unity textures limitations per shader and shader optimizations. However, when Shader Painter will be fully featured we will work on the best solutions for adding extra maps and options while preserving the performances.

Yes, SRP support will be added. We are already working on the Lightweight (LWRP) compatible shaders and will be included in the v1.41 since the v1.4 is already in pending review. HDRP will be available shortly after that.

I have just seen your review and rating! Thank you, this means a lot for us!

The map exporter is planned theoretically for the v1.6 ;)

Mark_01 and Arganth like this.
  50. Mark_01

Mark_01

I am excited for the map exporter as well.
    In theory you would be able to add details, export the maps, then use the new maps as
    the updated start point and paint again ?