Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Painter Beta

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CiconiaStudio, Jan 12, 2018.

1. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

It is several month now since we start to work on our first Unity Extension. And we are happy to announce that Shader Painter v1.0 Beta is now available.
    Not all features are available. The price will increase with every BETA update (see "major improvements" below).

Shader Painter is a painting tool which allows you to paint advanced shader effects.
    It’s not a vertex tool ! With this extension you will be able to paint directly on pixels. This way you can add extremely complex shapes on a simple polygon.

Get it on the Asset store >>

Some of the features :

• Paint advanced PBR shaders effects
    • Pixel painting which let you paint detailed shapes on very low poly models
    • Multi layers support (4 layers)
    • Metallic/Roughness and Specular/Glossiness light mode
    • Skinned mesh support
    • Lightweight (LWRP) support
    • Multiple ID materials support
    • Import custom brushes
    • Simple interface to get a clear overview

Shaders already available in v1.0 Beta :

• Standard/Multi layers

• Water

• Cutout

• Wind Dx11

• Water Dx11

Upcoming major improvements :

• Substance support
    • Maps exporter
    • High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP) support
    • Animation Editor support
    • Brush/painting optimisations
    • New shaders/new effects
    • And so much more.

Do you have suggestions ? Post here your ideas and help us shape this tool to your needs.
    We will be happy to hear which shaders or features you would expect in this extension.
    Any problem with Shader Painter don’t hesitate to contact us directly at : contact@ciconia-studio.com

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    rkd974, SarhanSoft, Alverik and 8 others like this.
  2. Huldrand

Huldrand

Congrats! This looks impressive. Keep up the good work!

DeBugs and CiconiaStudio like this.
  3. coverpage

coverpage

Are there any way to support more than two texture painting for each material

LukeDawn, CiconiaStudio and DeBugs like this.
  4. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello I am DeBugs and I am in the Shader Painter dev team.

I am glad you like it. We are doing our best to make the best tool possible !

Thank for your question.
    In fact it is in our plan to paint with more than two layers. We have made Shader Painter while thinking of this functionality. We wanted to release Shader Painter as soon as it was usable in a real project and here it is the beta 1.0 (1.01 coming soon \o/ ). Several functionalities are planned to be added before the end of the beta phase and this is one of our top priorities. So stay tune!

If you have more questions or remarks/comments or even request you can use this thread but you can also show your support by posting a comment or/and by rating Shader Painter in our asset store page!

We have unanimously good reviews since we release Shader Painter and that make us very proud of our work.
    Thank you all for showing your appreciation!

CiconiaStudio likes this.
  5. Flurgle

Flurgle

Is this like Vertex Tools pro where you have to use their standard shader, or can you apply this on any Standard Shader mesh?

Thanks

DeBugs likes this.
  6. DeBugs

DeBugs

Thank you for your question.
    As you can see in our videos (and in our gifs), Shader Painter doesn't need a lot of vertex to paint detailed shaders. You can look for instance at the water example : with just a plan there are a lot of details. That is one of our main difference with Vertex Tools pro. But to achieve this kind of wizardry we have to add some magic sparkle in our shaders, this can not be done with only scripts. That is why with Shader Painter you have to use our shaders. You can see what you can paint in the first post of this thread. We have made our shader with as much personalization as possible to fit most use cases. For instance, with the water shader you can also paint blood or lava or any liquid. However, we know that in some cases you will need more than that. That is why we plan to propose more and more shaders in future release, coming soon. You can see on the Ciconia Studio asset store page what our shader designer team is capable of. Feel free to suggest what shaders you would like us to add!

Flurgle likes this.
  7. blitzvb

blitzvb

Source of those shader are included ?

8. DeBugs

DeBugs

Yes. You can see on the store page in the package contents section, in the folder "Shaders" there are .shader files. However as I said earlier there are a lot of options in those shaders and thus it is not easy to understand how it works. Moreover, there is Shader Painter specific code inside that will not make it easy to use in non-Shader Painter project.
    If you want shaders include in Shader Painter alone (like water shader or wind shader) you can find them on Ciconia Studio asset store page.

Flurgle likes this.
  9. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hi guys!
    Shader Painter Beta v1.01 is available.

- Fix an error when reading the brushes on Mac OS
    - Fix Warning message
    - Add link to Twitter

Important : Before upgrading Shader Painter make sure to close the Shader Painter Window. Otherwise, the shader of the model selected in Shade Painter will be reset to default.
    You will not lose your painting but you will lose all chosen settings and maps!

10. Flurgle

Flurgle

Would it be possible for you to do an integration with Amplify Shader editor (as a node), or unity's new shader editor?

red2blue likes this.
  11. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

This is a really good question, we never thought about that. Unfortunately, we do not have enough informations to allow us to answer that question yet.
    But yes, if it's possible we will do so.

Thanks for the idea, we will definitely keep it in mind.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    george_00, Flurgle and theANMATOR2b like this.
  12. coverpage

coverpage

Hi @CiconiaStudio I'm liking this asset thus far.

Is it possible to use this with uModeler (a modeling unity asset).

In uModeler you need to assign material to the 3d model face by face. I tried to assign Shader painter based material to the faces, however I can't use the painter to paint onto these material. Furthermore one uModeler model has many Shader painter materials.

The reason why it's nice to have this functionality is that I want to model directly in unity sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    CiconiaStudio and DeBugs like this.
  13. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello and thank you for your interest in Shader Painter,
    We did not know about uModeler and this asset looks great too! We have taken contact with the publisher and we will make it compatible. As we don't know yet all the implications this development will require we can not give any release schedule. Stay tune for more info during the following days!

14. coverpage

coverpage

I like it so far. Works great.

Is it possible to use an atlas for the second layer so that we can paint different types of textures for the details. 2 layers is ok, just need more textures to create more complexity.

Thanks I hope it can work with uModeler in the future. This way we can really model some detailed models directly in Unity.

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  15. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey! Thanks for sharing this video.
    Don't forget that you have Shortcuts ;)
    X to switch from painting to erasing and B+Drag mouth for the brush size.

The Multi layers support have not yet been integrated but we are already working on this. This feature is on top of our priority list.

16. HP

HP

@CiconiaStudio is it possible to add the "Water" Shader as fallback for the "Water Dx11" Shader?

17. Arganth

Arganth

very sick asset :D
    just tried it and already loving it :)

the ability to just paint without first probuilderizing for subdivision is really nice :)

hoping to see further development :)
    (and maybe a fix as the scene view is blocked while the shader painter window is open :D)

from your TODO-list:
    • Maps exporter
    does that mean that we could use a different shader?
    (I also use the uber shader which supports blending between 2 textures)

my personal wishlisht :)
    - change the color of the water (to more like oil or blood :) )

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  18. DeBugs

DeBugs

Stop stealing my advice! :D

Thank you, that is something we didn't thought about and it is a really useful feature.
    We have found a way to do this by changing the shader at execution if DirectX 11 is not available on the platform. The only difference between the water shader and the DX11 water shader is the tessellation so you can see how it will look like if DX11 is not supported by disabling tessellation. And of course, if you don't use tessellation, you may use directly the regular water shader.
    We will implement this fallback functionality soon, so stay tune !

19. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Thank you! We are glad you like it. Don't hesitate to rate and comment the package, this will help us a lot ;)

This can happen because Paint Mode is enable. You need to switch to Shader Mode if you want to select or transform models in your scene view.
    Let us know if this fix the problem.

Yes! You will have the possibility to export the combined maps (Albedo, Normals...) and/or the painted mask. This way you will be able to use those maps with Unity Standard shaders, UBER or any other shaders you want.

You can already create this effects :

Also good to know, a preset feature will be added for the water/waterDx11 to easily create Calm water, Dirt water, Heavy rain, Blood, Oil and so on.

Attached Files:

• Blood.jpg
      Blood.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • Oil.jpg
      Oil.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  20. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Hello, I was thinking of buying it but have questions regarding it before I do that. The tool does look really neat.

1. What are the planned features?
    2. Is this a "splat based" texturing tool, and by that I mean it is not vertex depended
    3. How come the collider cannot be enabled while painting?
    4. What is the performance cost in high detailed environment?

Thanks!

21. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello, thank you for your interest in our asset.

1. The list of planned features is as follow:
    - Multi ID Materials compatibility (our priority now, will be available in the following days hopefully)
    - Animation Editor Support and add an API for programmers (to be able for instance to raise the water level programmatically
    - Brush size optimizations
    - Support multiple Layers
    - Maps Exporter
    - Rotation of the brush visible in paint mode (Done, will be in version 1.1 coming today)
    - Selecting objects already integrated in Shader painter will update the window automatically
    - Skinned meshes support
    - Solo mode (objects isolated) (Done, will be in version 1.1 coming today)
    - Lots of optimizations
    - And so much more….

If you have suggestion, feel free to submit them!

2. Vertex count has no influence in the painting process. If you look at the simple water example you can see this a plane with few vertex and there are a lot of details.

3. We use a mesh collider (automatically added when you start painting) to detect where the paint should go on the model. In most case you have nothing to do, if there is a collider before starting to paint it is disable so you can recover it after if you need. In a future release we will certainly make it smoother. Once the model is painted, it doesn't require the mesh collider anymore.
    To summarize: you should not worry about this.

4. The performance cost in high detailed environment is equivalent to a regular shader doing the same thing without painting. The painting process take some computation but after, when the game is lunch it has no performance drawbacks. In the videos you can see a whole city with a lot of details and with painting on multiple places and it run as smoothly than without shader painter. Of course there is more computation by the GPU with water shader than with a simple shader but with shader painter you can add details without adding any vertex. It is way more efficient to use Shader Painter than 3D modeling water flowing through rocks...

If you need more precision feel free to ask!

22. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Nice and detailed feedback!

So in short we are painting on a splatmap? Also one more question before purchasing, painting on same object type (2 prefab chairs) will they be individually painted or?

Thanks

DeBugs likes this.
  23. DeBugs

DeBugs

Yes it is a painting on a splatmap.
    And yes 2 prefab chairs can have different painting. You can have the two behaviors :
    - If you instantiate the prefab twice and then paint on it, you have two different painting
    - if you paint on a model and after that you copy it, the painting will be copied too.

Everything is possible with shader painter! :cool:

24. clagrens

clagrens

Need to know the efficiency.
    And is it possible to generate the textures?

25. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello,

It is as efficient as an equivalent shader. The water shader with Shader Painter has a performance cost as high as the same water shader without Shader Painter.
    If I understand well your second question, you can import any texture to Shader Painter and thus use generated textures.
    If I misunderstood your questions or if you need more precision, feel free to ask!

26. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

DeBugs I'm afraid I have to ask for a refund at the moment I'm having too many issues with it, and not getting the result at all as I imagined, not to mention that the tool crashed Unity, to an unstable matter sometimes, for instance, if I delete an object that was in the "Select Prefab".
    Eg. http://prntscr.com/i7rrg8

The Paint mode is neat, I do have to give it that, however, too many issues arise, like the Reflection of the water, which should be linked to the Reflection Probes, not a fixated decapitated system, which was used prior to 5.2f Unity version.

And some textures would be nice to have, and by my opinion are missing like Emission textures, more than 2 paintable layers, and etc.

Do not get me wrong, or anybody at all. Shader Painter is a really good tool, it just doesn't fit me at the moment. I would be more than glad to pay later 50$+ for a lot more polished tool, however, I'm working constantly, and this is a deadlock I cannot surpass at the moment.

3.5/5 for me - Great tool, amazing splat map (Quality is superb regarding the layer interaction). Keep up the work mate

Edit: The wind tool is something I have not seen yet and this deserves a special place, as it works flawlessly in my testing.

CiconiaStudio, DeBugs and Flurgle like this.
  27. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello and thank you for your support,
    Sure, no problem for the refund. Please contact us at contact@ciconia-studio.com with your order number (OR*********) that you received by email to proceed with it (I am not the one who will do it).
    We are still very interested in your problems. We can't reproduce your error (at least with the version 1.1 which is still reviewed by unity) Which Unity version are you using?
    We are still in beta so we do not hide that there are still bugs and we are working hard to fix everything.

For the water shader and the Reflection probes, I am a programmer and I don't understand everything about it even if our CG artist explain me what it was :) He told me that you can use the cube map or the reflection probe or even both. If you need more info, ask directly @CiconiaStudio !
    About adding emission texture and multiple layers, are in fact in the list of planed features. So stay tune !

If you like the wind shader you can buy it without Shader Painter here https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/directx-11/wind-shaders-60930

Glad you like it anyway, I hope we will see you soon :)

VisualTech48 likes this.
  28. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Having recently spotted this, and for a fraction of the price of alternatives, I have my eye on this! One alternative I came across looks impressive though it's a bit pricey IMO; another was a lower price though it only supported vertex colouring. But this is something else. Good work! :D

29. DeBugs

DeBugs

Thank you for your interest :)
    What pricey alternative are you talking about ?

30. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

No problem! I think it was Vertex Tool Pro? It looks good but £40 is a bit much imo.

P.S. I went to purchase SP but the price is £26.80. Was it that price a few hours ago or am I going a bit bonkers? o.o I'm sorry; I'm a bit sleepy ha ha.

31. DeBugs

DeBugs

Vertex Tool Pro only support vertex painting i think.
    The price of Shader Painter hasn't change, 25$ (but it will when we will add more feature, you should buy it now ;) )

32. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Ah yes, true.

I apologize for the confusion; I should pay more attention!

33. Arganth

Arganth

I have vertex tools pro :)
    but still changed to shader painter

mostly because of the annoying need to increase the vertex count to paint in more detail.
    If you want to "repaint" or change models from the asset store its just too much of a hassle.
    Especially if you have external painting tools like 3dcoat or substance painter.

So shader painter allows me to work in unity and still paint "without vertices".

34. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Hey everyone!
    Shader Painter Beta v1.1 is available.

- Added Solo Mode (Isolate the mesh from the scene)
    - Added rotation angle buttons (Rotate the brush in 4 different angles)
    - Now you can visualize the brush rotation.
    - New Buttons UI

Important : Before upgrading Shader Painter make sure to close the Shader Painter Window. Otherwise, the shader of the model selected in Shader Painter will be reset to default.
    You will not lose your painting but you will lose all chosen settings and maps!

VisualTech48 and DeBugs like this.
  35. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

As stated, the tool is more than promising and when it comes to a point where it has all the features and stability, again, no issue at all dishing out 50 if not 75$. I have my eye on this and would love to see it out of beta asap!

Great work. Also regarding the errors a bit more feedback:
    While deleting an object and having it as a preset for "selected" it causes issues with the "Scene View" (you just see a gray image in the scene view) and constant errors, until you close it up, and go to Window and reenable it.

Also while doing this a fatal error occurred to me twice crashing the Unity whole. My Unity version is the latest, 2017.3.0f3

36. DeBugs

DeBugs

Waw that sound serious, we never had anything like that while testing Shader Painter! Even when we reproduce your steps exactly nothing happens. That's very odd. We will do more investigation on it, thank you for your feedback and your support!

37. Flurgle

Flurgle

Maybe it's clashing with other assets? Hard to test that scenario.

38. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Two days ago I downloaded SP and tried messing around with the demo scene and creating a cutout shader on the cutout shader tent example, only to have the tent's model disappear. :eek:

P.S. Is it possible to make puddles made with SP contain animated ripples in them for rainy scenes?

39. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello,
    Your model disappear from the hierarchy? Because if it is just it doesn't show on the view it might be because you paint 'hole' on the whole model...

For animated ripples it will come with the next version of shaders. We will also add soon an API to trigger effect from script like 'raise water level' when it is raining change wind power dynamically.

coverpage and CiconiaStudio like this.
  40. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Perhaps this is due to the value set in the Mask amount setting. Set the value to 0 and check "Disable albedo alpha" property. Now, you should only see your painting.
    If the model is still invisible this means that you have paint all the model. Go to paint mode and select a negative value for the opacity (Choose -1 for now). By passing the mouse over the model it should appears.
    Also, you can just clear the mask by pushing the clear button.

Let us know if this fix the problem.

coverpage and Flurgle like this.
  41. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Not quite; the model was in the heirarchy but the mesh itself vanished, despite having a mesh renderer.

Wow, that sounds great!

Ah, okay! P.S. I recall drawing on the stones with a sand texture though upon trying to undo strokes I found out that it only does one press at a time. I'm not sure how to thoroughly describe it but I have to rapidly tap the undo button to make sure the entire stroke is gone.

42. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello again,
    For the undo I thought it was a good idea to be able to remove paint "spot by spot" but after talking with our artist we agreed to follow your idea and to make the undo button undo the whole stroke. It will be certainly implemented in the next major version (next week ?)
    Thank you for your proposition !

43. dvr7

dvr7

Could you clarify "That is why with Shader Painter you have to use our shaders."? Does this mean we have to get the shaders listed in your asset store to make it work? In other words, is this a standalone product or need the shaders in the your store page to make it more "full featured"

44. CiconiaStudio

CiconiaStudio

Shader Painter is a standalone tool. All shaders are (and will be) included in the package.
    Don’t hesitate to tell us which shaders you would like to see in this extension.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  45. dvr7

dvr7

Thanks; I have one more question - lets say I have used SP with a model, created a prefab and exported this. Do I need SP if I have to import this to another project?

46. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello and thank you for bringing in the problematic.
    As Shader Painter is still in Beta we have not made anything yet to make this scenario works yet. You may succeed to achieve this but you may have to copy the Material and Shader folder. We are working on it to make it smoother. Our idea was exporting the painted material as a substance but as we don't have any visibility yet on this for Unity 2018 we will certainly use another way.

47. dvr7

dvr7

Thanks for the quick reply. Will love to see this grow in the coming months.
    I took it for a spin today and really liked it. Couple of suggestions and possibly a bug
    1. Would like to see some more tutorials on water/wind effects as I had to spend quite some time experimenting before something worked. Would have been better if there are some docs/videos that can be followed
    2. Some visual indication to show if I am on draw/erase mode. A lot of times, I was in erase mode, and was wondering why nothing is getting added. Then had to remember to press X
    3. Water shader shows reflections from a cubemap and none from immediate surroundings?
    4. (bug?) After clicking play and stopping, PS simply vanishes. I have to add it back again all over again, and it get super annoying after a few times. Unity version I have is Unity 2017.3.0f3 (64-bit). Also I remember Unity warning about obsolete API when I initially imported the project (not sure if this matters or not).

48. coverpage

coverpage

Hi guys, I'm very excited to see that map export is in the roadmap.

If possible besides the usual map export to an image file perhaps you can do a convenience button called "bake textures" where the map is exported and assigned to layer 1. We then continue to paint over this on layer 2. So we keep flattening and painting over and over again.

I can imagine this export map feature might be hard due to UV issue. Layer 1 is usually tileable while layer 2 isn't. So guess the size of the resulting exported map is the max of height and width between layer 1 and layer 2.

Edit: actually it's the size of the whole splat map right. I guess implementing 3 layers and baking down only layer 2 and layer 3 (detail layer) will make most sense. Otherwise the baked maps might be too large?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  49. DeBugs

DeBugs

Hello again!
    1. In fact I am a coder, not an artist and I don't understand most of water and wind possible effects... I will ask our artist about that in our next meeting.
    2. Yes you are right, it happens to me as well. We have to figure it out the best indication to give. Maybe changing the cursor with a pencil or an eraser?
    3. Yes it works with a cube map but you can also use reflection probes to have dynamic reflection.
    4. It is not a bug, it is a feature! Haha In fact we are closing Shader Painter when play is pressed because we had bugs (Shader Painter scripts were running in background and mess with everything) This 'hack' was only here for the beta and this should be fixed before the final release (and yes, you are right, this is quite annoying)
    And thanks for the 'obsolete API' warning, it is not a big deal but we will look at it anyway

Hi, we are glad you like Shader Painter!
    That is a very good idea to put the exported map to layer1. We will definitively think about it.
    We don't have started the development of this feature yet and thus we do not know yet how hard it will be. Merging textures from layer 1 and 2 seems straightforward but we also have to merge normal maps (sum and normalisation) and so on.

I go back to work now, the next Shader Painter version will introduce a lot of modification thanks to all your comments and we hope we will be able to make it available next week!

Flurgle likes this.
  50. mangax

mangax

hello,
    is this shader supported on mobiles? and how expensive it is on mobile?

thanks